1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Kawasaki F7 175cc Thread

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by the_doc, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Westcoasthumpin

Westcoasthumpin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I haven't done anything with the F7 my son and I saved from a scrap pile a couple of years ago. It went into storage and life happened.

Today, we decided to pour a little premix down to spark plug hole. She fired up and ran until the gas was gone.
    Dirt2007 likes this.
  2. Westcoasthumpin

Oddometer:
    20200209_163018.jpg

As she sits right now. Hopefully I can spend a little time on it in the near future
    Dirt2007 likes this.
  3. Dirt2007

Dirt2007 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Still trying to get mine running again. Diagnosed as a bad ignition coil. Found a new old stock but still no love.
  4. Slumlord Steve

Slumlord Steve Adventurer

Oddometer:
    1) ok guys im back in need of a piston now ? its a 1973 i was wrong when i said a 1974.. My fault. Her is the Serial - F7-68859

How do i fins these on EBAY ?

2) MINE, looks like the one the photo above. love the fun of these old Bikes
  5. aptbldr

aptbldr easy rider

Oddometer:
  6. Slumlord Steve

Slumlord Steve Adventurer

Oddometer:
    yea problem that one is sold out...
  7. sjc56

sjc56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Last year I swapped out the motor on my F7 due to a bad bearing in the gear box. On the new motor the oil pump is not working, I took off the clear output line and when running no oil is coming out of the pump. I swapped the pump from the old motor which I know worked and got the same results. The part off the crank, with the slot that the pump connects to is spinning. So I'm a little perplex. No I don't want to run permix since the pump does oil the bottom end which seems to be a good thing.
  8. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    There was a complex bleeding procedure if memory serves. Also weren’t the oil pump gears plastic? Might be worth checking. Might spin free but with stripped teeth, not under load.

That said, it’s been 20 years since I had one so I may be way off base.

Charles.
  9. sjc56

sjc56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I took the end caps off the pump but really couldn't see anything. One pump I know is good.
  10. Westcoasthumpin

Oddometer:
    My Son-in-Law needed a COVID 19 project. He has a new tank and petcock on the way.

20200415_110956.jpg
    AtLarge likes this.
  11. Heylopez

Heylopez n00b

Oddometer:
    Would be grateful for any help.

Bought a 75 f7 last week. Would start on the first kick, but die within a few seconds until the 4th kick or so and then stay running, though idle around 3000rpm.

While it was running I adjusted the air screw til the idle settled around 1500rpm. Let it idle like that for 5 minutes or so.

Shut off the bike til I was able to take it out for ride. Came back a bit later and it will not start at all. So I start playing with the air screw, in, out, try to go all the way in and back out making quarter turn adjustments and kick. Nothing.

Took out the plug, looks a bit fouled but gets spark. Any ideas?
  12. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    Probably crank seals.

Charles.
    Westcoasthumpin and aptbldr like this.
  13. numman

numman n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey all, new here! Just read this entire thread and was very happy to see it’s still going currently in 2020!

I picked up a 1975 F7 a few weeks back and got it running! Cleaned the carb and a new plug and it starts first kick every time! It needed a new speedo cable too but got that working.

The issue:
    Took it for a ride last night and even after it warms, anytime I get on the gas it smokes pretty good. I’ve been around 2-strokes before but this just seems excessive? Thoughts on what this could be? Injecting too much oil? Head gasket?

Thanks!!

Attached Files:

Westcoasthumpin likes this.
  14. RockyRue

RockyRue Long timer

Oddometer:
    The oil injection is based on the throttle position
    Follow your throttle cable until the "Y" then down to the oil injection.
    There is an adjustment ferrel there, what is the screw count?
    20200802_091606.jpg
    Now having an old bike that is running a LOT of oil is bad for performance and spark plugs, but not bad for the bearings to have lots of extra oil for a while.
    Try adjusting 1/4 turn at a time until it smokes a bit more than you want, but not to excessive.
    Also, could someone have added premix so you are running double oil?
    Don't make any big changes right away, you don' want to all of a sudden run no oil...
    numman likes this.
  15. aptbldr

aptbldr easy rider

Oddometer:
    Exhaust pipe maybe lined with combustible goo. Run it awhile.
    numman likes this.
  16. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    OMG my f7’s exhaust was CAKED with greasy goo. I sprayed several cans of brake cleaner down it, and eventually soaked it in that purple power stuff in a Tupperware container. When the goo finally all came out it took most of the internal baffle parts too. The muffler must have lost 10 pounds from that bath.

Charles.
    numman likes this.
  17. numman

numman n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the quick replies! I popped the cover off the oil pump area and it was slightly off (the lines weren’t lined up). I adjusted it so they are lined up now.

The bike starts easily on one kick and doesn’t smoke at all during idle. When I rev it up or get on it when riding is when it smokes. Really trying to avoid tearing into the motor until I really have to as it seems to be running okay. I’m just a bit nervous that something else major is going on and causing damage with me continuing to run it?

I topped off the gas when I got it and put some seafoam in it. Wondering if that’s causing it to smoke more or if there is moisture in the old gas. Thinking I’ll drop the gas and start with all fresh to rule that out.

When I started it up after adjusting the oil pump, I held a paper towel behind the exhaust. It is spitting a little bit of oil... is that normal? I attached a screenshot of the video I took. This is smoke from me reviving it up a couple times.

Appreciate all the help!

Attached Files:

18. RockyRue

RockyRue Long timer

Oddometer:
    Could there be a LOT of oil in the crankcase that needs to blow out?
    Could have a lot of carbon on the head?
    There is probably a lot of oil in the exhaust like mentioned?
    If it runs and smokes, it runs.
    Drain the gas, fill it up with ethanol free if you have it.
    Make sure your oil tank is full when you start
    Then, I would just take it out to a place where you could ride it at 5k rpm and burn through half a tank or so.
    Keep an eye on your smoke
    Check your oil usage vs gas usage
    Check your plug

Your basic Italian Tuneup for a 2-Smoke
    aptbldr likes this.
  19. numman

numman n00b

Oddometer:
    Drained and changed out the gas, cleaned the throttle and got that working like new again (it was sticking bad), and took it for a solid rip. The smoke did seem to get better the more and harder I rode it. I haven’t put my new tires on yet so I’m a little hesitant to get after it too much. I was pushing it on the dry rot tires for sure!

The smoke ended up turning more blue than white the more I rode and cleared it out. Got back home and dialed the fuel/air screw out a bit to lean it out. Now I’m getting what I could consider ‘normal’ two stroke smoke!!

Thanks again for all the help! Just a little nervous on this old girl as it’s a little harder to get certain parts. hopefully this will help someone else down the road.

Cheers!
    aptbldr likes this.
  20. RockyRue

RockyRue Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bonanza.com
    Not everything, but a LOT of stuff there
    Watch out for shipping costs
    and you can do an "offer"
    Then work out the details.
    Bought a bunch of $5 - $10 parts with $5 shipping EACH
    Ended up with $150 in parts and $70 in shipping.
    Got everything for about $175.
    Buy 2 of anything you want, they are often cheap enough