1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Kawasaki F7 175cc Thread

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by the_doc, Mar 4, 2014.

1. sjc56

sjc56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    if they have never been done the old leaky crank seals will suck the oil out of the gear box and you will smoke heavily. I trashed a transmission this way. Luckily I had a spare motor. They are cheap and fairly easy to replace.
    Westcoasthumpin likes this.
  2. Mhacks

Mhacks n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm having trouble with the contact points in my bike. I have a 1971 f7 that I bought off someone that came with a bunch of parts including new contact point breaker and a condenser. I don't know where it goes. Everything I've found points to inside the flywheel but I cannot for the life of me get the thing off. I ended up beinding the bolt that comes out of the flywheel in the process of getting this damn thing off. I'm getting really frustrated here I would appreciate any help

Attached Files:

3. RockyRue

RockyRue Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are no points in the flywheel, that is your stator I think
    and you have really mangled that which is the end of the crank
    I think it has a CDI ignition
  4. Mhacks

Mhacks n00b

Oddometer:
    You think I can just leave it since that flywheel ain't going nowhere?
  5. RockyRue

RockyRue Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now you have a problem, you need to get the nut back on...
    And you have pretty well bent the threads.
    You need a "split die"
    Put it on behind the bent part, add some cutting fluid and work it off.
  6. RockyRue

RockyRue Long timer

Oddometer:
    You probably want to continue and get the flywheel off and replace that crank seal.
    Lesson Time
    It looks like you used a puller with a wide pointed pin
    You need a specific puller with a flat face and a small pin to keep it centered
    And then you want a harmonic balance type that has the bolts to thread into the flywheel
    I did something similar to mine, and used a split die to fix it.
  7. RockyRue

RockyRue Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another idea to help a bit.
    Get the split die
    Fix the threads
    Get 2 or 3 nuts on the threads to "protect them"
    maybe even put a smaller nut inside the outer nut to protect the end of the crank
    And try again
    Leave just enough space between the flywheel and the closest nut for the fly wheel to "PoP" off
  8. Mhacks

Mhacks n00b

Oddometer:
    I was able to get the nut back on with your advice, very helpful btw thank you, and tried to pop off the flywheel but the thing didnt want to come off and I didnt want to superman anymore metal. I thought I had no reason to get into the flywheel anymore that was until I noticed I messed up the coils a bit from threading the bolts of the harmonic balancer a little too deep and turning the flywheel. Now the Coils look like this and I am not getting any spark. Pretty sure I need new coils. What do you think? I looked up the price of the two coils (primary coil and pulser coil) and i would have to pay about $230 total. Does anyone know any cheaper or alternative solutions?

Attached Files:

9. RockyRue

RockyRue Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. Mhacks

Mhacks n00b

Oddometer:
    We both put ourselves in a very similar situation lol. Except now the washer is stuck. At this point I am literally having dreams about getting this thing off. I've applied a LOT of torque, heat, hammer taps and still nothing. Not even budging, used marker to see if it moved at all and there has been no difference. What am I supposed to do?

Attached Files: