Kawasaki KLR 650 questions

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by elkgrichard, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Human Ills

Human Ills Useful Idiom

Oddometer:
    klr650.net
  2. bush pilot

bush pilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would think an 08 with a 685 kit would make a mighty fine all around touring/commuter bike. The prices sure seem reasonable.
    The improved brakes of the 08's would make a big difference.
    The brakes on my 06 really are weak shit.
    The 685 kit makes that engine run smoother and stronger.
    If you shop around wisely the KLR really is a good bang for the buck.
  3. subybaja

subybaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    :thumb A good excuse for the 685 that any KLR should get!
  4. bush pilot

bush pilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    AKA "The Nazi Faggot Forum"
    Certainly not a good place to shop for a bike because they think their bikes are made out of gold! Foking weirdo fanatics.
    Much more sensible bike owners here, IMHO.
  5. wheatwhacker

wheatwhacker It's raining here

Oddometer:
    You will not go wrong with this setup.
    I have them all here, Suzuki, KTM 950 and a few KLR's.
    Best bang for the buck, the KLR, just stay off the freeway.
  6. elkgrichard

elkgrichard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    WHy do you say the KLR Just stay off the freeway??????
    I've heard theyhave issue on the freeway with wobbles?
  7. Silver King

Silver King Maita'i roa ae!

Oddometer:
    Cause you might get run over.

Wobbles are usually associated with a loose steering nut...easy fix. Tire pressure and tire type can affect this too. Big 'ol floppy stock hand guards, high fender and a 21" wheel can make freeway speeds a bit awkward but you probably know all of that.
  8. shrikebandit

shrikebandit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    as a jerk who owned both the KLR and the DR and I owned two KLR's, I prefer the DR on the road and off road. More fun and agile and less shaky.
    Have you ever ridden a DR650 for more than 2 miles on the road?
  9. elkgrichard

elkgrichard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did a lot of freeway (DR650_ without an issue. Just would have like to have had a wider tire on the front for twisty work in the curves.
  10. wheatwhacker

wheatwhacker It's raining here

Oddometer:
    No the wobbles are not an issue after you fit a fork brace and keep a quality tire on there, like a Conti TKC. In my experience the conti does fine on the front and is quiet at freeway speeds, knobbier tires tend to wear unevenly and make more noise.
    The main thing about freeway riding, at least here in the US is that even though posted limits are 70-75 most traffic runs at 80-85. This high speed is easily attainable on the KLR but maintaining it can become very tedious, especially if you have a head or cross wind. So, then you find yourself in the inside lanes skipping lanes with Semis, not nice if one looses a tire or over corrects. The big twin comes into its own here, just stay in the fast lane and stay with the traffic.
  11. drdirty

drdirty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm pushing 10,000 miles on a '07 DR650. I have pushed this bike as far as I am willing to go. I have been in places where I should'nt have tried, but I made it and survived:freaky
    I am in the process of making my Dr into more of a Adventure Motorcycle.
    My 59 year old body just can't handle the ruff stuff, but I am impressed with the DR on how well it will take on rough terrian.
    I just love this bike, and am looking forward to some longer rides into new country, and the DR will do just fine.

But the KLR still cranks my soul! Last summer I rode over the Red Rock road over the Snowies here in Central Montana and dropped down into Lewistown. I decided to stop off at Lewistown Honda and look around. They had a Black '09 KLR650 on the floor, and I just about had a accident:eek1

Talk about a good looking Dual Sport Adventure Motorcycle! All I wanted to do was to just take it home.Love at first site:crash

I really like my DR650. But I really like the KLR650 too. Both are great bikes that will provide thousands of miles of pure joy!

If you think you want a KLR, just go for it.Get the bike home, go over it, start prepping it up for what you want out of it, and go out and ride the country and enjoy life! I guess I have said my take on this subject.
  12. bush pilot

bush pilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    No wobbles, KLR's are really stout even all loaded up with kitchen sink!
    The bike will cruise 90mph it's just more comfortable between 50-70mph. It's the buffeting and the wind from the trucks which gets to you. You got 18 wheelers going 80mph out there!
    Freeway riding you want a VFR, a K1200S or something that doesn't have the aerodynamics of a barn door.:lol3
  13. rivercreep

rivercreep Banned

Oddometer:
    Wobbles are usually a result of something being wrong mechanicly like, bad tire alignment, bearings, tire balance, etc.
    The other factor if everything is mechanicly perfect is usually rider input where guys are hanging on for dear life instead of leaning forward a little and relaxing their grip on the bars. (at least with bikes with 21 inch front wheels that are models for stability)
  14. El Guero

El Guero V4 Whore

Oddometer:
    My bike was always rock solid until I put some cheap-o Shinko tires on it. Then it was downright scary on the interstate with a good wind. After going back and putting some MEFOs on it, it was a whole different bike again and ran down the highway just fine. It's not a Goldwing, but it's got me everywhere I've wanted to go.
  15. corney

corney Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm sorry you feel that way. They have been helpful and respectful to me.

I have never seen them say a bad thing about you.
  16. corney

corney Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I experienced a wobble this summer on my 08 on a trip up to Hyder Alaska. I overloaded the rear end and loaded to high. I put Kenda knobbies on the day before I left.

About 700 km into the trip I loosened the whole front end and tighten in the axle first and tighten the allan keys around the axle second. It improved 50%. I also repacked everything and made my buddy pack some of the weight (tools, tubes etc.).

I have just installed: eagle mike fork brace, Rox risers with anti vibe, throttle lock, new gel grips and lowered fender. I'm not sure I had to but it made me feel real good:pimp

I won't say it is the only bike there is and she may not be pretty but shes mine and I love her:tb
  17. welder

welder Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 always been a great site.
  18. corney

corney Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh I forgot the 16 tooth sprocket. Apparently it reduces the RPM by 500?
  19. 685

685 Scarred Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wonder if the OP is still reading this thread?

I'm getting a 91 DR650 for the dirt this weekend.

I have an 08 KLR, bought new from a local (the bad one!) dealer. I didn't have it as a 650 long enough to know whether it was gonna be an oil burner or not.

I did the Schnitz Racing 685 kit at about 600 miles, did the doohickey (balance chain lever retrofit) & subframe bolt upgrade at about 400 miles. The 'bad dealer' did all my recalls, replaced some crappy rubber bits under warranty, and got none of my farkle money. My 08 KLR is as reliable as any bike (including an 89 Transalp) I've ever owned.

It's farkled to my needs (which are primarily urban riding) so it has SW Motech crash bars, HID lites, Stebel airhorns, home made pannier racks w/ pellican cases, zero gravity double bubble windscreen, 22 cent mods, White Bros. pipe, & stainless brake lines.

Maybe i'm just a "BMW wannabee" but I like the new modern looking plastics, the improved forks and brakes, better controls and gauges, the better/brighter headlite, and the allegedly smoother engine (much smoother with the 685 kit) found on the 08.

If I didn't have a KLR, and I were looking for one (and knowing what I know now) I'd buy an 08 oil burner. The Schnitz 685 or 705 retrofits TOTALLY solved this problem, the engine runs smoother, and has more power through out the power band.

Mine started life with circus colors, puke green metallic and silver, but has morphed into this:[​IMG]
  20. 685

685 Scarred Adventurer

Oddometer:
    RE: KLR650.NET:

There are some decent posters over there (there are on any forum,) but the owner of the forum, Glenn, and a moderator named Scott are worthless assholes. (YES, I AM BANNED FROM .NET!)