Kawasaki KLR 650 questions

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by elkgrichard, Jan 5, 2010.

1. eaglemike

eaglemike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Brian,
    Sorry to hear that. guessed I missed whatever was happening when it happened.

Yupper on the 685 or 705. Totally transforms the bike. Tim @ Happy Trails did the lever/doo and the 685 on a 2008 at one shot, couldn't believe the difference. Thought it was a different engine.

all the best,
    Mike
  2. propforward

propforward PIE!romaniac

Oddometer:
    Brian in Tucson,

That is a very very nice KLR, I like it a lot.

I pick up my KLR tomorrow. Already have my replacement Doo on the way. A proper eaglemike one mind, and not a fake one. The weather sucks (as well you all know) so I'm going to do the doo before I even venture out on it.
  3. Silver King

Silver King Maita'i roa ae!

Oddometer:
    There's a whole thread around here somewhere that has compiled all of the whinging regarding .net. It doesn't need to be in here.
  4. 685

685 Scarred Adventurer

Oddometer:
    iI don't believe I was "whinging" or even whining. I added to thread, by suggesting that there were decent posters on the other forum, and by name they are Eagle Mike and Wyman Winn, who both represent a lot of KLR knowledge and are more than willing to help newbies like the OP.

Silver king seems to feel that he or she is a moderator or something, maybe self appointed?

Anyhow, here's a suggestion for my GOOD friend Silver King:

:fyyff

5. Silver King

Oddometer:
    :lol3 easy Tiger! ...and one wonders why you've been banned. :norton

BTW, it looks like you are already a member of the thread I was referring to HERE
  6. Cliff-77

Cliff-77 Lost Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For the money,my favorite bike,2000 yr. mdl.25,000 mls.no serious problem just maintance,but it don't get dogged,just riden.A new one looks good but i'd wait&see if they improve on the weakness.I'd get an older mdl.,low mils.$2500-$3000.Brian's black klr looks good.:evil
  7. PenGun

PenGun Old and In The Way

Oddometer:
    +1
  8. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have noticed that .net has gone downhill in a hurry in the last year or so. I used to be pretty active on SVRider and I haven't even logged on over there in about 4 years for the same reason... This site (except for the few but vocal smartasses yes even Motorcyclist commented on this) has been a great resource for most... KLR650 has become, for the most part, the place to go to bitch and moan about your bike and say absolutly nothing constructive whatsoever. I'm quite frankly a little tired of it. If you aren't happy with your bike just sell it and get something else for gods sake. I am totally satisfied, as well as probably 95% of other KLR owners.
    :deal
  9. 685

685 Scarred Adventurer

Oddometer:
    FYI, the official bitch about .net thread:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56107 I haven't posted to that thread, my problems with the forum ownership and management and why I am no longer welcome on .net isn't important.

For the newb, the .net site and KLR World might be helpful. Both have pretty good archives of info about the bike. KLR World got on my nerves pretty quickly, pretty much too enthusiastic for me and everything seems to have been invented there. But a good place to start.

RE: .net, my username was Pigasus btw. the .net has some really good people--worth the trouble just to interact with Wyman Winn and Eagle Mike. Occasionally, cheap stuff appears on the mall forum, too. And because it's so damned big, it has great archives.
  10. Blu_Vue

Blu_Vue Nothing is what it seems.

Oddometer:
    if you liked the DR, I would consider the older KLR's ( as others have already suggested ). the pre-08's are more like the DR and can be had for a small pile of beans. in '08 they just got heavier :lol3

as far as which year, I would say late '90's to '02. IIRC, they were still Japanese made and assembled, er whatever and I think that somehow must make them more valuable.
  11. pilot815

pilot815 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a 2009. My first "real bike" i like it. I bought it because it was a bit heavier than the DR. To get to my riding destination its an easy 220 miles so i needed something a bit bigger. My buddy had a 2003. He drove mine, liked it bought a 2003 because of the price. We swapped bikes after he got his and we both agreed mine handled better and was overall smoother. Im sure however his doohickey was shot.
  12. agspecialties

agspecialties Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey KLR guys, I and another guy want to make a trip to Alaska next summer. We are looking at KLR 650's. I see no reason why these bikes shouldn't make that 7000 mile trip.
    Can any of you KLR guys shine some light on these bikes.
    What we should be looking for when we are looking at these bikes and what kind of mods are we going to have to do to make this trip with these kind of bikes.

I ride mostly all honda's, but i know that there is no way that my 650L is going to make this trip. I have always want to buy and ride a KLR, just really found no reason to buy one till now.

Any info would be just great in the start of our big ride of 2011.

Thanks
    Aaron
  13. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A rider's "accesorizing" a couple of pre-'08 bikes for an Around The World ride; many of the issues addressed in this thread might apply to your Alaska trip:

http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69754

As a minimum, besides neo-knobby tires, I'd go for nerfs or IMS plastic tank(protecting plastic/tank/radiator), handguards (protecting control levers), aftermarket skid plate (protecting engine/water pump/plumbing). Subframe bolt upgrade (pre-08's, especially).

Your call, but doohickey (counterbalancer chain tensioner) upgrade offers some insurance (more critical on pre-'08's); if '08 or later, make sure oil consumption's no issue.

Bon voyage!
  14. 685

685 Scarred Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Doesn't much matter what year you buy, anything after 96 will do just fine. The 08 & later have upgraded brakes, charging system, lights, and suspension. Better aerodynamics, too, imho. & to my thinking, more road oriented.

Style points are nice (see my post on the previous page) but what you want is for the bike to be as bullet proof as possible, right? And comfortable. No time like the president to get started.

So get a likely candidate, under 20,000 miles, all there, and as un-dicked with as possible is the preferred bike. You want 96 & later because the cylinder can be easily upgraded (bored) for the 685 retrofit.

You need to do the doohickey (balance chain tensioner lever and spring.)
    You need to do the upgrades on the subframe bolts. (Get this stuff from Eagle Mike.)

You need to get a comfortable seat--Rick Mayer, Sergeant, or Corbin. I've had Corbins and hated them (on a Transalp.)

You need to do preventive maintenance--grease anything that can get grease--the steering head bearings, the swingarm bearings, the rear linkage bearings. Along these lines, I'd consider doing the Schnitz Racing 685 retrofit/overhaul. Replaces the stock, heavy piston with a lighter, overbored piston--and makes the engine somewhat more powerful, a lot smoother, and more reliable (lowered oil consumption.) And unless the bike is very low mileage, I'd do a valve grind and replace the valve seals.

There's lots of luggage systems for the KLR, some of the vendors include Happy Trails & Twisted Throttle, but by all means google for other vendors. I think I'd get a set of nerf bars--case and body saving bars. If you get a tank bag, get a small one--big ones block off your sight of the gauges.

Mostly, just get the bike, take some regional trips, and start lurking on all the Forums (forii?) klr650.net is the most farkle oriented forum, imho. You'll be an expert before you're done.
  15. Silver King

Oddometer:
    Brian in Tuscon sums it up pretty well. His advice is applicable for any bike. You'll find that a good percentage of KLR's have had all of this stuff done to them already. Look for a loaded one with low miles. They're out there for a decent price.
  16. eaglemike

eaglemike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When planning a long trip, learn how to do as much as possible on the bike. I get emails and calls all the time for simple stuff. I don't mind, but it would be a lot easier for the traveler if they had the knowledge before setting out. Help isn't always instantly available.

The stuff Brian suggested above will help an owner learn how to live with a klr a long time, be comfortable and confident on the road, and be independent of the dealer people. This sort of thing makes life a LOT better. By the time you adjust the valves, grease everything, do the lever/doo - you'll understand how most of the bike works.

Oh - get a Yuasa (or other) sealed battery. KLR650's tend to run the stock battery dry, especially in warm weather.

And check the oil EVERY time you put gas in it on a trip!

all the best,
    Mike
  17. MotoBoss

MotoBoss Old Dog

Oddometer:
    Alright I'll quit calling :D
  18. tim007

tim007 Banned

Oddometer:
    to BRIAN IN TUCSON can i get a pic of the bike with the hid lights on please? am wanting to to this as well but i would like to see the difference. thanks in advance
  19. chris111550

chris111550 n00b

Oddometer:
    I just put some Conti Trail Attacks on my 09 KLR. Factory shows pressures of 21F 21-29R depending on load. What would be good for road use?
  20. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    I generally stick with 28-32 front, 32-34 rear, but then again, I'm 260 lbs.