Kawasaki KLX230

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by miligoreng, May 28, 2019.

1. miligoreng

miligoreng n00b

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

KLX230 has just been released in Indonesia last week by KMI (Kawasaki Motor Indonesia) and I think Kawasaki Europe silently launched it as well. Here are the specs:

Engine type : Air-cooled, 4-stroke Single; Front brake : Single 265 mm disc. Caliper Dual-piston
    Compression ratio : 9.4:1; Rear brake : Single 240 mm disc. Caliper Single-piston
    Valve system : SOHC, 2 valves; Fork : 37 mm telescopic fork
    Bore x stroke : 67.0 x 66.0 mm; Shock : New Uni-Trak Spring preload: Adjustable
    Displacement : 233 cm³; Tyre, front : 2.75-21 45P
    Fuel system : Fuel injection: Ø 32 mm x 1; Tyre, rear : 4.10-18 59P
    Ignition : Digital CDI; Seat height : 885 mm
    Starting System : Electric; Curb Mass : 134 kg
    Maximum torque : 19.8 N•m {2.0 kgf•m} / 6,100 rpm
    Maximum power : 14 kW {19 PS} / 7,600 rpm
    Transmission : 6-speed, return​

It is believed that off-road only version (KLX230R) has also been spotted in CARB documentation for 2020 model destined for US market. It has slightly tuned engine at 15 kW and aluminium swingarm instead of boxed steel swingarm for dual-purpose model.

*As of 19 June 2019, it is official that they released KLX230R in Indonesia. It is lighter at 115 kg and slightly higher ground clearance at 300mm*

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am thinking of getting the dual-purpose model at the end of this year and KLX230 fills a huge price gap at IDR 40mil or USD 2800 between 150 cc (~USD 2100) and 250 cc (~USD 4500) dual-purpose bikes here. Any thoughts?
    flatwoods, Beezer and Baja Ho like this.
  2. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
  3. rickypanecatyl

rickypanecatyl SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer:
    Interesting! I wonder is it a bored out KLX150?
  4. mekros

mekros Adventurer

Oddometer:
  5. Traveller128

Traveller128 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been saying it since we got my wife's KLX140G. If Kawasaki made a KLX230, I'd buy one for a trail plonker. If they have a trail version hit here this fall I'm on it.
    flatwoods likes this.
  6. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice The Virginian

Oddometer:

So, how is this MC different than the current 250?

Thanks for reading.
    MYUMPH likes this.
  7. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    2019 Kawasaki KLX230 Specs at a glance
    Engine: Air-cooled, four-stroke, SOHC, single-cylinder, 233cc, 67 x 66mm bore x stroke, 32mm throttle-body, EFI, electric start
    Power: 14.0kW @ 7600rpm
    Torque: 19.8Nm @ 6100rpm
    Gearbox: Six-speed, return
    Clutch: Wet, multi-disc

Chassis: Tubular high-tensile steel semi-double cradle
    Rake: 27.3, Trail: 116mm

Suspension: 37mm telecopic fork, 220mm travel, Uni-Trak swingarm shock with preload adjustability, 223mm travel

Brakes: ABS, single 265mm petal discs, twin-piston caliper, single 220mm rear petal disc, single piston caliper

Wheels: 2.75 x 21in, 4.10 x 18in

DIMENSIONS
    Length: 2105mm
    Height: 1165mm
    Width: 835mm
    Weight: 134kg
    Wheelbase: 1380mm
    Seat height: 885mm
    Fuel capacity: 7.5L

[​IMG]
    Ginger Beard and MYUMPH like this.
  8. RCEMT-P

RCEMT-P Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Another bike that solves nothing, fills no hole in the market. I'd like to see something to compete with ktm that doesnt cost 10k
  9. RebelYell

RebelYell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Swm 500r rcem.its 7800 us .it uses the old husky engine when BMW sold the varese factory.coyple of engineers bought it n.resurrected swm,they also have a 300 that's being tested for emissions and the. Superdual 650 is here too..im sick of 10 grand bikes
    Bucho likes this.
  10. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades...

Oddometer:
    No where near what the 250 offers, like adjustable suspension, longer travel, higher performing four valve liquid cooled engine. A definite step up from the 230. More bike for the more experienced rider that wants something between a play bike and a border line competition bike.

Apparently you aren't aware of how riders mostly start? Foofoo bikes that are low horsepower low maintenance play rides. Everyone doesn't just jump on a plated racer and go.

You need to realize currency exchange rates now have it where Japanese equipment is no longer low cost. Plus to compete, the equipment must also be on par, which costs more. It now costs about the same for the Japanese to build a bike that competes with the rest of the world. Want proof, look at the pricing of the MX bikes and, of course, the cost of the CRF450L versus the KTM. You think they wouldn't cut the price down more if they could, to gain more of the market. You won't find a KTM level bike for half or even two thirds the price anymore.
  11. RCEMT-P

RCEMT-P Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Maybe I'm just looking for a unicorn. Maybe next year I'll find it. Tired of under powered heavy pigs. Should just plate a 300 xcw, ill call my surgeon first.
  12. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  13. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool its officially happening in the USA now. Glad to see air cooled bikes are alive and well. I remember about 10 or 15 years ago they were predicting the demise of air cooled machines because at the time it was harder to get them to meet EPA regulations. More and more I like simple bikes that will run forever with minimal care. I am sure the Kawasaki will fit this criteria. My only hold back is the price. With an MSRP of $4599 I think its about a 1K more then it really should be and if you look hard you can get a KLX250 for that about that. Then again its 2019 and everything is overpriced now days!

It will be interesting to see how the competition responds? Maybe Honda will bring back the CRF230L?
    Wallachian Spikes likes this.
  14. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Great to read that air oil cooled is good to go.

I'm never understood why a thumper needs to be liquid cooled if you are just riding around and just checking out the sites. You know, recreational use.

Granted the DRZ400 was built to move with a purpose at 320lbs.:kat:smile6 She is liquid cooled.
  15. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  16. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades...

Oddometer:
    You should.

Don't have a heart attack, the KLX300R is back with electric start and isn't a plated racer. They'll probably sell the hell out of them to fathers/husbands to chase around their children/wives on the 140 and 230s. At half the price of the KTM it is right there for the play bike market and will probably do well. More than they would sell if it was a serious racer. Only shame is they didn't put the plate on it.

[​IMG]

Imagine that, a good play ride for $5499... Sure, it's the same old thing with some new stuff, but with e-start and a reasonable saddle height for most, it is gonna be the great choice to chase the kid around the trails with reasonable performance. Hare scrambler - you never know. I remember riders running quite well on the old XR200Rs back in the mid-80s on a course that didn't reward horsepower. But it isn't supposed to be a racer, it's a play bike to take to the national forest trails and play around.

It ain't all about racing. Plus even the KTM150 is another $2700 more than that KLX... See, that is within $300 of getting the kid or wife a KLX140. I'm betting a KLX300R and a KLX140 could be had for the price of a KTM150, a KLX300R and a KLX230 for the price of a KTM250. That is where these are going, along with going to new riders for a less intimidating ride.

A stepping stone to a KTM? Sure, for now. Who knows what will happen. Maybe this could be cultivating a path to a serious KLX series, maybe not. But I'm betting the KLX300R as it is will sell twice as many as a $7500 high performance version would.
    Wallachian Spikes likes this.
  17. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    If this bike is aimed at kids & wives (an old fat guy’s like me) maybe it needs a lower seat height!

How about giant tires like a TW or VanVan?
    xXxSilveradoxXx and MYUMPH like this.
  18. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its the perfect compromise! Not lame enough for some and not hot enough for others!

07637DC1-E764-4ED4-871F-3884A45DCE15.jpeg
    koczownik and Bultaco206 like this.
  19. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    Kawasaki could have simply released an efi / estart version of the 2006 300r and had a more well rounded trail bike. Somehow it lost the adjustable suspension and lighting yet managed to gain 25 pounds.

Personally, my complaints aren't because Kawasaki took a fire breathing race bike and made it milquetoast. My complaint is that they took a great lightweight trail bike and made it less capable and less new rider friendly than it was over a decade ago while increasing the price rather significantly ($4,799.00 in 2007).

In regards to the new klx230, It looks like a nice alternative to an XT250.
    justinope likes this.
  20. miligoreng

miligoreng n00b

Oddometer:
    They actually just launched the KLX230R today and managed to shave off 17 kg (down to 115 kg) from its dual-sport sibling. Not too bad I guess but still not as light as KLX140, many people complained 132 kg was a little bit too heavy for trail riding but unfortunately it will be almost impossible to get plated here. Now I feel a little bit of regret for not taking that KLX450R for 60mil IDR (4300$) :doh

This bike should fill the gap between KLX140 and KLX250 in some market and probably as a contender against CRF230F as well. It is air-cooled and has cheaper suspension compared to KLX250.

Oh that KLX300R looks great and priced well. I think It could become the successor of KLX250.
    The_Precious_Juice likes this.