Kawasaki KLX300SM

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by strongbad, Nov 26, 2020.

1. strongbad

strongbad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Kawasaki is going to bring a small supermoto to the US based on the new KLX300 dual sport. It looks to be the perfect commuter grocery-getter in that it's a street-moto with a mildly tuned engine and not a race-bike-with-lights high maintenance engine. The forks have cartridge internals with adjustable compression damping while the rear is a linked gas shock with adjustable pre-load and compression damping. Kawasaki does not have detailed specs up on their site yet but I'm seeing a wet weight of 304 lbs in various articles on the web.

kawasaki KLX300 SM.jpg
    Philthy64, T-34, Bors and 3 others like this.
  2. DLFLHT

DLFLHT I'm a little fuzzy

Oddometer:
    At $5,999, that's exactly what they are asking for a leftover 2020 SV650. Hard to see the value in the KLX when you can get an SV at that price!
    T-34, AZbiker, jimroid and 3 others like this.
  3. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    SM are always premium priced have you seen the price of 690 sm?
  4. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    iMO it looks nice but it falls a tad short.
    Instead of a 280 engine should have been a 320 or 360 to be a more versatile supermoto while retaining same overall weight, price, simplicity and philosophy.
    in SM, some decemt torque is way more important that top end power and for that one needs more displacement.
    The dirt version and even a rally version would have benefit from that too.
    Another thing people are going to like is a versys 400 upgrade and a scrambler version and even supermoto'ish version of it.
    proeliator likes this.
  5. strongbad

Oddometer:
    The SV650 is a 430 lb motorcycle. They are two completely different bikes with completely different missions. The KLX is the ultimate city bike--able to jump curbs if you need to, blast through potholes and rough pavement with almost 9" of plush cartridge suspension travel front and rear, lightweight and narrow for filtering and lane-splitting (if the laws allow it.) Put handguards on it and if you drop it, just pick it up and keep going. (Drop that SV650 and you'll be crying all the way home with two armfuls of broken plastic.) Nice upright ergos for seeing all the traffic. Put appropriate tires on it and triple-sport it: that is, have reasonable off-road and on-road capability.
    Reagan, T-34, Nomad Rider and 2 others like this.
  6. strongbad

Oddometer:
    292cc actually. I haven't seen specs yet but I think it will have a little more oomph than the 286cc Honda CB300R and similar. I've got the CB300R and I don't find it lacking in power or versatility for it's mission. It's a great city bike that suffers from it's short travel (relatively) damper-rod suspension. I really dig the 90mpg fuel economy of my CB300R and more displacement wouldn't give me greater utility only worse fuel economy. Sure don't like having my balls pounded flat on rough pavement, though.
  7. DLFLHT

DLFLHT I'm a little fuzzy

Oddometer:
    Looking for where I'm going to get the armloads of plastic - probably more on the KLX!:D
    sv.jpg
    T-34, LuvPop, Cactus67 and 1 other person like this.
  8. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    I might think of the little Versys 300X for myself as a mid-week bike, when I am not riding with others and only have myself to keep up with. Under 5 grand for non-currents brand new on Cycle trader. I'd rather have a bit more plastics/protection than that KLX, and the lil' Versys might be the ticket.

300v.jpg
    Skooter likes this.
  9. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Uh... KLX300S/SM... single... aka thumper... sub-forum for Thumpers... just above the Road Warriors sub-forum in the Bikes section. :wink: :nod
    AZbiker and Ginger Beard like this.
  10. mtntrails

mtntrails Life is Short... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nope - belongs in Road Warriors
    Just like the DRZ400SM
    It’s a road bike
    Nomad Rider, alekkas and Motonirvana like this.
  11. strongbad

Oddometer:
    I was looking at the versys 300x while I waited for years in vain for Honda to bring their factory supermotard CRF250M to NA but I rejected the 300x due to weight mainly. 385 lbs! No. The character of the engine is such that you have to rev it to the moon to get any power out of it. I wanted something with a strong bottom and midrange. Finally, the suspension is junk. Trash trash trash and junk. The KLX300 SM will be much more maneuverable due to 17" wheels and 80 lbs lighter. The versys 300 x would be much more suitable for light touring, though.
    Nomad Rider and Ginger Beard like this.
  12. Bama67

Bama67 Comfort is for cars

Oddometer:
    This is pretty much the same bike that was made in 2009 as the KLX250SF.

I had one, and they can still be bought for less than $3K easily, so it easy enough to buy that and do a $500 351cc big bore and you essentially have this exact bike with a few more ponies (minus fuel injection)

I liked mine and did all kinds of crazy rides it wasn't really suited for. Shoulda kept it but I am a illogical bike whore.
    motorat likes this.
  13. markk53

Oddometer:
    :fpalm
    SR500 is in the thumpers along with about every other big single. Honda Ascot FT500 group is in the thumpers. SRX600 in Thumpers. It doesn't say "off road thumpers", it says "Thumpers" aka big singles, they include all singles.

Seems obvious to those who know what a thumper is. :dunno
    AZbiker likes this.
  14. jmlmjmjm

jmlmjmjm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Go yell at all these other "thumper" threads in Road Warriors:
    Monkey, Meteor 350, CBR300R and F, SR400, 690 Duke, Vitpilen 701, Rebel 300, MT03, CB350, Grom and on, and on and on.
    Nomad Rider, alekkas and davidji like this.
  15. davidji

davidji bike curious

Oddometer:
    This thumpers vs road warriors thing highlights the fact that the advrider structure isn't a natural fit for the motorcycle discussions. It only makes things worse if we worry too much about where the discussion is placed. Ideally the same thread (not a duplicate) could be in road warriors & thumpers, but that's not how these forums operate. It works for me here, it works for me there.
    Nomad Rider, Wambo and Ginger Beard like this.
  16. alekkas

alekkas Long timer

Oddometer:
    So nonsense aside, this is a street bike like the cbr300 and 250 are - but potentially cooler in some contexts.

The super moto out of the box intrigues me, but the kind of roads you can really enjoy this on are just so far from me that the commute would not fit the bike. If I was to trailer to great roads, man this would really make sense and be light to ride and tow. Haven't seen the rear tire size but am assuming some sticky street rubber options exist. What a blast!
    Wambo and Ginger Beard like this.
  17. davidji

davidji bike curious

Oddometer:
    You could probably trailer it to the kart track as well if that appealed to you.
    Matt-J2 and alekkas like this.
  18. alekkas

alekkas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now THAT'S another great context for a bike like this. Several tight tracks around here where I used to race my vintage Volvo p1800 would be a hoot.

BTW the tight ones were always by clock and not handle to handle.
  19. AZbiker

AZbiker Say hi to the bad guy

Oddometer:
    Doesn't work for me here, but whatever.

After this post, I just put the OP on ignore and unsubscribe from this discussion and problem solved.
  20. markk53

Oddometer:
    I don't really follow any of those, but obviously they must be clueless too. Fact is those who know will post appropriately. I guess some just don't know.

Actually I'm just messin' with them.

Ever see The Road Warrior movie? They ain't ridin' any little thumpers there. That's where my mind goes when you say "road warriors". Not some little pea shooters.
    davidji likes this.