Kawasaki KLX300SM

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by strongbad, Nov 26, 2020.

1. tooter

tooter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You're right. That is my assumption in order to make an "apples to apples" comparison.

Another issue is fork and swing arm clearance. I made a supermoto out of a 225 dual sport and the fork clearances were really tight.

serowblack2.jpg
  2. TheJudgeHolden

TheJudgeHolden Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Why would I want a wider tire?

Because as far as I can tell there are no options for anything but road tires in 130. Not even a 90/10 tire. If you go to a 150/160, you've got options for days for everything from a 50/50 tire to a track slick.
  3. Papa5

Papa5 n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Was in Columbus, Ga yesterday looking at a 2021 Honda DCT Gold Wing, at a dealership called Extreme Powersports. Saw what I took to be a 2021 camo KLX300 by the front door. Didn't notice price, just that it was for sale. The sales manager is Todd Kinney 706-324-0132.
    I'd been looking myself awhile back, and dealing with pandemic availability & and dealership geed and ended up buying a KLX 300SM which was most definitely the best model for me, which is ~90/10.I could not be more pleased
    What a blast!
    Anyone interested in a low mileage 2016 GL1800 and a 2015 low mileage DL650XALS which I may sell to my MSC instructor?
    tooter likes this.
  4. TN_twowheeladdict

TN_twowheeladdict Long timer

Oddometer:
    I picked up my KLX300SM in Americus, GA. It was the closest place I could find that carried a green one.
    tooter and DJ_MI like this.
  5. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    It may also be a problem for handling.

The biggest negative is the weight on a lower powered bike. You have spent time cutting weight on your bike why would you add unnecessary unsprung rotating weight with no real performance gain? It takes some research on the sizing as well, a lower profile 150 may weigh about the same as a 140.

I went to the ZX4R site because there is an actual discussion involving racing, where cool subordinates to functional. That and remember the 400 has around 48 hp vs around 25 hp stock. So it does come down to does the 300SM need more tire than the ZX4R? :hmmmmm FWIW here is the size discussion at the Ninja 400 forum click here

Of course it is all moot if it is about looking cool. :brow

Side note - I went the opposite direction when putting tires on the KLX250S. Having gained some knowledge both by experience and by osmosis when selling bikes and parts at a dealership, I went down in size from the 120/80-18 to a 4.10-18, which was about 25mm (1") narrower and a few mm smaller diameter. Did it for the lower rotating mass and unsprung weight, which allows the tire to spin up easier when needed in sand or mud, so it takes less power and less bogging. It also was about $20 lower cost to boot. And it made the bike actually look somewhat like a motocrosser with the rear looking so much lighter. The smaller tire has lasted about the same as the larger tire too, so not too bad over all outcome.
  6. tooter

tooter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think "greed" is actually just cycles of manipulated economy.
    This has all happened before in the 1970's, when you couldn't find anything, and the price of whatever you could find was sky high.

Kawasaki unexpectedly hit it out of the park with their 300SM, and unforseen demand FAR outstripped the few they made. I've been riding for 56 years, and it's the best transportation bike I've ever owned.
    ggrant and southwade like this.
  7. southwade

southwade Long timer

Oddometer:
    The thought of sticky track slicks on this things sounds bonkers... it has sooooo much traction already even on OEM tires. Slicks would be a blast!
  8. southwade

southwade Long timer

Oddometer:
    On that topic? How's everyone liking the OEM tires? I'm new to supermotos, but they seem pretty good to me.

If you would change them, what would you go with?
  9. markk53

Oddometer:
    Actually probably more in the 140 for road tires since it is used on the Kawasaki 400 and some other models. As for dual sport, did you actually look? Shinko, Metzler, Dunlop, Continental, Pirelli, Bridgestone, Kenda, Michelin, Avon, Duro, Heidenau, probably some others too.
  10. TN_twowheeladdict

Oddometer:
    Here are a some tires in 130/80 17. Just a smidge taller. https://www.chapmoto.com/bridgeston...7XE-phwGnwrqEcEfQ3LJXeFhoVE7L28saAvjkEALw_wcB https://www.chapmoto.com/motoz-tractionator-gps-dual-sport-rear-tire.html https://www.chapmoto.com/heidenau-k60-scout-dual-sport-rear-tire.html , so rears are pretty easy to find. It is the fronts that are harder to find.

For the front you have a 120/70 17 https://www.chapmoto.com/continental-conti-twinduro-tkc80-tubeless-dual-sport-front-tire.html https://www.chapmoto.com/shinko-705-series-dual-sport-front-tire.html https://www.chapmoto.com/avon-av53-trailrider-dual-sport-front-tire.html
  11. TN_twowheeladdict

Oddometer:
    I find them confidence inspiring. I have yet to have one break loose on me. How many miles they last will tell whether I stick with them or try something else.
    tooter and TheJudgeHolden like this.
  12. TheJudgeHolden

Oddometer:
    Welp, bought one. Zero point zero in the odo. Little under 7K after taxes.

Looking forward to wringing it out some after this rain calms down a bit. Have a Delkevic slip on, KDX200 snorkel, EJK controller, 13T sprocket and TST fender kit on the way already because I ain't right in the head
    DJ_MI, TN_twowheeladdict and tooter like this.
  13. tooter

tooter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    90% of my riding is on rural canyon roads.
    The stock tires work fine for me.

14. TN_twowheeladdict

Oddometer:
    What you call a rural canyon road, I call a main thoroughfare where I live. :D

We have roads that have ****Creek, ****Ridge, or ****Hollow in the names. They are usually a lane and a half wide and sometimes chip and seal, broken pavement, and gravel, but sometimes you find them with painted yellow lines. What they all have in common is that there is zero traffic on them beyond the occasional truck or car, and they are curvy, hilly, and heavily shaded by trees. Perfect type of area for the KLX300SM. A whole lot of fun at 55 mph.
    ggrant and tooter like this.
  15. TN_twowheeladdict

Oddometer:
    Congrats. I am amazed you were able to get one under MSRP with taxes. Dealers typically can't keep these in stock. Some fun riding around the Lake Eufaula, Providence Canyon areas.
  16. TheJudgeHolden

Oddometer:
    MSRP is $5999. Minus Kawi's military discount and with not too unreasonable assembly/doc fees you can come in under 7K. This dealership had an SM sitting on the floor for 2 months (!). Guess rural south GA isn't the place to sell a supermoto. 95% of their sales are ATV's and side by sides.

I'm actually not in the Columbus area anymore, used to terrorize the Ft Benning/Columbus/Phenix City area on a DRZ400SM. The Auburn/Eufala area had some great riding.
  17. TN_twowheeladdict

Oddometer:
    Oops. My mistake. I look at too many bikes! My local dealer charges MSRP with no additional fees. But real MSRP is $5999 plus shipping according to Kawasaki's website. I paid taxes on $6150.

What color did you get?
  18. southwade

southwade Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's a good deal quieter than I was expecting it to be... :thumbup
  19. markk53

Oddometer:
    Sounds like what we have in eastern Ohio... Gotta love those Appalachian Mountains and the foothills.
    TN_twowheeladdict likes this.
  20. tooter

tooter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's rural for California. :lol3
    TN_twowheeladdict likes this.