Kawasaki KLX300SM

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by strongbad, Nov 26, 2020.

1. TheJudgeHolden

TheJudgeHolden Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lime green :D

The only proper color for a Kawi!
  2. c_m_shooter

c_m_shooter Ninja Warrior Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where is the "rural" road? Did you link to the wrong video?
    southwade and tooter like this.
  3. tooter

tooter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's rural for California. :lol3
    dtysdalx2 and southwade like this.
  4. tooter

tooter Been here awhile

Oddometer:

You did good! :clap

I paid $8,000 ($7,306 + $694 State Sales Tax) in California.
  5. tooter

tooter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's running with 5 tuning disks. It's really mellow with three, and insanely open-pipe loud with 8 disks. This is what it sounds like with 8.

6. southwade

southwade Long timer

Oddometer:
    People always hate on Ohio because it's flat... but there's some great curvy spots here. Cincinnati has some great side roads if you like urban riding.
  7. TN_twowheeladdict

TN_twowheeladdict Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just got in my "Windy9" map last week. Hoping to get up that way this fall.
  8. southwade

southwade Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your what? What is that?
  9. c_m_shooter

c_m_shooter Ninja Warrior Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm sorry....
    tooter likes this.
  10. tooter

tooter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not. :-)
    Our rural village is 8,000 people scattered all over the hills. The road in the video is the main one which runs through the canyon and down to the Ocean. There are plenty of smaller less traveled roads running all over.

It's a supermoto disneyland.
    Matt-J2 and TN_twowheeladdict like this.
  11. TN_twowheeladdict

Oddometer:
  12. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Those people only drive on I-75 in the west. If they hit I-77 in the east they would see all those winding side roads and wonder where they go. A look at the map will see how there is an arc running from just above Cincinnati over into the Hocking valley, Lancaster area, up around Zanesville and on up around Akron.

Everything south of that arc will have some incredible highways, byways, county and township roads that were good enough that Beach Motorcycle Tours did a week long exploration of the back roads of southeastern Ohio based out of Cambridge. The smoother winding secondary highways and better paved county roads are a blast on most any street bike, include the rougher roads and there's fun for the adventure and scrambles bike riders, then the roughest stuff that often become Jeep trails, or some of the Wayne National Forest trails provides good stuff for dual sport riders.

Go north of the arc and it is flat boring stuff.

All one needs to do is go to a Google road map then zoom in on various areas click here. The south and east will show the roads winding around the hills and low west mountains of the Appalachians. Moving around the roads in the center to west part show a near grid pattern. Zoom in tight on SE Ohio along the Ohio river and see how the roads zig zag, the one thing you can't see is the elevation changes which make it even more interesting riding. Along the river opposite and slightly north of New Martinsville West Virginia see Ohio SR536 coming out of Hannibal winding up around and over to SR26, that is the Ohio version of Tail of the Dragon (Deal's Gap), but with less traffic and a higher speed limit that isn't easy to maintain.

Much as people in California don't need to go far for fun riding, over in the east it is the same way. Just lower mountains, which makes for a lot of roads due to the way the country settled over the past four centuries as settlers spread west. It's actually a very interesting motorcycle state in the right areas. The mountains and hills of the Appalachians are low enough that lots of pioneer and livestock trails were made and many eventually became roads winding around farm to farm, over ridges and down in valleys. Thousands of miles of fun riding in a very compact area.
  13. tooter

tooter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's a great description of your area. There are great places to ride all over America.

We live right in the middle of one of them. Every Wednesday night we hear the bike clubs racing through our canyon.

(The Rock Store, Malibu California)
    rockstore2.jpg
  14. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Places that suck too! I'm not much for riding miles in a straight line... :nah

I have a tough time wanting to ride to school 12 miles where there are 2 roundabouts and 3 stop sign intersections - booooooring!
  15. TN_twowheeladdict

Oddometer:
    Picked up a cheap Amazon tailbag. The description didn't show any writing on it. Good thing I have the green bike. It expands, and will fit my rain gear with a water, or drinks and lunch. I haven't tried tools, spare tube, and inflator, but have no intention of doing that on the side of the road.

IMG_5431.JPG IMG_5432.JPG
    tooter likes this.
  16. TN_twowheeladdict

Oddometer:
    Getting prepped for a big road trip to New England. Going to camp going and coming. Plan to ride in KY, WV, PA, MA, NH, MD, VA, NC, and possibly ME.

Loading the bike on the rack is no problem. Getting it out of the holes takes more effort tha I want to expend so I had to come up with a better way.
    IMG_5428.JPG IMG_5435.JPG IMG_5437.JPG IMG_5439.JPG IMG_5440.JPG
    I jack up the frame, the front wheel raises, slide the pin in, lower jack, clear 4x4, grab back of rear wheel and roll it ou of hole.
    ggrant, tooter and southwade like this.
  17. TN_twowheeladdict

Oddometer:
    Insulated the bed of the truck, created a bed platform, and some storage. Also brought 12 volts to the rear to charge things if needed.
    IMG_5403.JPG IMG_5405.JPG IMG_5445.JPG

I plan to set a small window AC on the tailgate, make a false plywood tailgate with hole for the AC and sleep comfortably.
    Magpie, strongbad, relayer4u and 2 others like this.
  18. tooter

tooter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow... what a nice project! :clap
    I especially like the Craftsman style woodworking design.
    TN_twowheeladdict likes this.
  19. TN_twowheeladdict

Oddometer:
    Thanks. My Design choices were based on what wood I had on hand. I won’t restock until prices hopefully get back to normal.

with the exception of the door frames nothing is glued so I can repurpose as needed.
    tooter likes this.
  20. Pkblu

Pkblu n00b

Oddometer:
    Complete noob here, and just picked up a KLX300SM today. Had some deposits on 2022’s but with out any shipping information I picked up a 2021 today. Something about a bird in the hand….

I see some have tried the TST fender eliminator. Has anyone tried the Yoshimura model? Any feedback?
    TN_twowheeladdict and tooter like this.