Kawasaki KLX300SM

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by strongbad, Nov 26, 2020.

1. TN_twowheeladdict

TN_twowheeladdict Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone find a source for the service manual that isn’t $95?
    Wouldn’t mind a pdf download.
    I have a paper KLX250S service manual but that doesn’t help with the fuel injection changes or if the valve shims changed.
    southwade likes this.
  2. TN_twowheeladdict

Oddometer:
    Got my Sargent seat from the KLX250S moved over to the KLX300SM. Perfect fit.
    61A0B598-BC5E-4734-A8E6-580FAF6D363C.jpeg

Also installed the dock for my Garmin Zumo 660. I am having a hard time finding power to tap into. There is a female bullet connection hanging between the computer and battery that is switched, but it only put out 10v with the bike running and wouldn’t power up the GPS. When I tear apart the tail to go all LED I will tap into the tail light circuit, but until then I wired up an SAE connection and plug the GPS power into the battery tender leads.
    A87E1999-4275-434C-8CEE-B67CAA15440A.jpeg

The bike is a hoot to ride the little farm roads and handles packed gravel roads and water crossings fine at the speeds I want to ride.

762EF91C-8495-42EC-BB5C-C650283F8779.jpeg
  3. tooter

tooter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like Haynes and tried them, but they don't make any, so we're on our own.
  4. Magpie

Magpie Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I also bought a SM and love it. So light and nimble. I have a 'road bike' a 2008 bandit 1250 but she's a big gal so this little thing is a gas. Got a Sargent seat and Precision rack immediately. Gas tank is so small now I'm thinking of getting a Rotopax. Only 300 miles, so still in break-in, last fill up got 63 mpg. I am hoping for better. I disregarded the break-in instructions in the manual and am just riding it. I bought it because I've been looking for a little bike to bang around on and it was there and I could get on it. Most dual sports are too tall for me, I'm in my late 50's and not as agile as I used to be. I'm thrilled I don't have to lower this one. I usually buy used but small dual sports are (as you know) unobtainium. I was lucky the dealer knows me so held onto it for a few days until I could get in for a test ride. Hubby loves it - took it to run errands and was gone literally all day LOL - so now he wants a DRZ400. Lighter than his DR650 and 100 more cc's than me which is important I guess. :rofl
  5. TN_twowheeladdict

Oddometer:
    Yep. My buddies who were around during my 160HP days laugh at me riding the KLX300SM and Van Van 200. I let a few ride the Van Van and they were surprised that it put a smile on their faces.
    Magpie likes this.
  6. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Now all you have to do is get them to go out on one of the really tight twisting back roads with few long straights, them on their sport bikes and you on the SM...
    TN_twowheeladdict likes this.
  7. Magpie

Oddometer:
    We rode together one day - him on his ZRX and me on the KLX behind him. He blew away from me in the straights but I caught him in the corners. :-) OH, and has anyone else noticed that the SM is a stealth bike? Whenever we ride past one of those blinking speed signs in town, it will pick up Ed's bike but not mine...?
    markk53 likes this.
  8. tooter

tooter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dyno tested my KLX300SM today.
    Stock engine, no air box mods or fuel tuner, just an exhaust.

IMG_0226.JPG

Dyno Test Video...

9. TN_twowheeladdict

Oddometer:
    Got in the precision rack and some spoke covers to bring out a little more green.

7A9CD5DE-826F-400C-AE87-7D501663EEB3.jpeg 6571868F-4AD9-463D-AF25-9D1497D2E8E4.jpeg

The rack is well built and fits the lines of the bike well.
    Magpie and firstshadow like this.
  10. tooter

tooter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ...and it's is about half the price of the Kasawaki rack. :-)

IMG_0185.JPG

A TST rear fender eliminator also works great for cleaning up the clutter on rear of the bike.

Attached Files:

11. TN_twowheeladdict

Oddometer:
    On my wish list. I have to modify the bike a little at a time to keep my eye from wandering. LOL!
    tooter likes this.
  12. tooter

tooter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Exactly. There's no time limit on mods. You can do them any time. :-)
  13. TN_twowheeladdict

Oddometer:
    But you are going to continue to tempt me with your photos. I walked out to the bike this morning and the rear end was just glaring at me. LOL! I am trying to wait until July 2nd to order from them.

You put their front signals on also correct? Did their relay take care of both the front and rear flashing? In my state turn signals need to be out beyond the license plate so I will probably be getting fronts and rears along with the rear light. Oh, and I have to get the plate LED also if I plan on riding after dark.

These are all excuses for an officer to pull you over and take time out of your day. Gives them a legal reason to pull you over. And don't ever ride these dual sports anywhere near where dirt bikes use the roads to get to trails. Had an officer block me and a buddy while we were riding in one of these areas. He said because we didn't run he knew we were probably legal, but that was still an illegal stop.
  14. tooter

tooter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Instead ot TST's, I installed tiny bright LED button blinkers on the front.

If you just do LED's on the rear, you don't need a relay. The blinkers will just flash faster. If you go LED front and rear there is not enough resistance to make the lights flash and an LED relay is needed. Everything I do saves a little weight and after a while it adds up.

I live in a rural canyon where there are hardly any cops.

IMG_0208.JPG

And I while I don't normally do dirt, my exhaust is a legal spark arrestor just in case I do. Sometimes I take a short cut into the canyon on a dirt road, but that's about it. Supermoto tires aren't very good for anything more than that. This is my usual canyon riding.

15. TN_twowheeladdict

Oddometer:
    Didn't realize you have clip ons also. I have thought about seeing how my LSL clubman bars from the Moto Guzzi would feel on the KLX.

Oh, and I couldn't imagine riding where there are so many cars! I am lucky to see a car an hour where I ride.
    tooter likes this.
  16. tooter

tooter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As far as I know, I'm the only one who has put clip on bars on a supermoto. I did it to lower the front of the bike to match the back which I lowered with links. The stock bars prevented sliding the triple down on the fork tubes so I eliminated them and mounted lightweight alloy clip on bars onto the exposed tops of the fork tubes.

IMG_0182.JPG

To make the bars flat like regular bars instead of sloped downward like on sport bikes I simply swapped the clamps left to right and right to left and put the bars out the opposite ends. Lowering totally changes the feel of the bike. The center of gravity is lower for both bike and rider so it handles corners really well. I live in the middle of a canyon, so no matter where I go it's on twisty roads. The clip ons are low and narrow which makes lanesplitting really easy.

I'm only 5'5" so small low narrow bars fit me perfectly.

IMG_0180.JPG
  17. RioRideNM

RioRideNM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just did first oil change on the klx300. Easy enough but a few tricks from my old ‘07 klx250 days. Garage door mount makes a great little post to hook up for oil filter housing draining. Aluminum foil to guide oil to drain pan and zero (unintentional) drops spilled :rayof
    D6307A82-2D07-4DB8-806C-6EE30508548D.jpeg 59BF1475-F22A-436F-8FEA-7BF2B389765B.jpeg
    my issue is the horror I found when I removed the filter from the bike!
    Not sure what to make of the brightly colored debris but hopefully that’s why I do the 100 mile oil change on these smaller bikes...
    4B5C53EF-7FEF-4F69-8155-B70C0B952CA1.jpeg
    Lastly, here in NM, we get well above 100 degrees enough so I opted for a 10w-50 that I will use year round. YamaLube synthetic blend so I can just use that in my KLX and my Tenere 700 :roflmakes life easy running the same oil and I expect it will be great.
    TN_twowheeladdict and tooter like this.
  18. tooter

tooter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You never know what you'll find on the first change. :y0!

I changed at 500 miles with dyno oil to continue the break in process. at 1,500 miles, it'll be Rotella T6 15-40 full synthetic. I ran it in my DRZ for 35,000 completely trouble free miles.
    RioRideNM likes this.
  19. Magpie

Oddometer:
    "OH, and has anyone else noticed that the SM is a stealth bike? Whenever we ride past one of those blinking speed signs in town, it will pick up Ed's bike but not mine...?"
    Nevermind! Not true of all speed signs.. the ones in Gig Harbor I pass most often don't notice me but in Port Orchard they did. Different mechanism I guess. I purposely fly past just to test it.
  20. TN_twowheeladdict

Oddometer:
    5430C82F-C4F7-45F0-82F0-31B2353820D4.jpeg After the first couple of rides the rubber mounts over the foot pegs were removed. I was having a hard time keeping my riding boots from slipping off the rubber. Much better without them.

I also added Grip Puppies although the jury is still out on whether they improve anything. Since I keep my keys separate on the bikes I like to have a nice size key chain and this one fit the bill nicely.