Kawasaki Versys Adventure

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Ted99UK, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Ednukey

Ednukey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Incorrect statement.I purposefully chose to go with a high fender (supermoto style) vice a slightly raised stock fender on my V to run 130/80/17 tires.

I've got 14K miles on it now, 12.5k from a cross continent trip during which I got rained on a rather fair amount; and, it is just as good or better than the stokl low fender in the rain. Further, it does a better job than the stock low fender at keeping mud off of the rad.

The likely reason that many may think the high mount fender is worthless is because they start with a worthless, i.e., extremely minimal supermoto fender like the Acerbis.

If you go with a Polisport, or go even bigger, e.g., the later model KLR fender, you won't be disappointed.
  2. Ednukey

Ednukey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    HEL makes a dual line kit for the V, that fits very well, for just over $100, shipped. I have thew HELs on my bike and have been very happy with them.
  3. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    I just ordered a long brake line from Kawasaki and used it in place of the short one. Ran them both from the master cylinder. I used the banjo bolt from the front right caliper at the master cylinder and the short one on the brake caliper. My cost was $58 if I remember correctly.
  4. opie74

opie74 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought a full set of Galfer SS lines off Ebay. Lengths were good but the fronts could have had the fittings rotated 90 degrees from one end to the other on both.

Coupled with EBC HH pads, stopping effectiveness was quite noticeable.
  5. JayD

JayD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sweet !
  6. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    This is brilliant.
    I was looking at mine the other day and noticed the double banjo on the right caliper and wondered why it wouldn't work on the MC.

I bought one of the stock front fenders on ebay, will cut it off on the front and get a polisport motard fender. Should work and well and look the part. Which bike does that? Ducati or BMW?

Sure wish I could try a couple of set of tires before I bought them. :ricky
  7. Ted99UK

Ted99UK Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys. My Adventure Versys took me with total reliability (apart from a chain-links seizure) during 2010 to:-
    1. Northern Spain in the mountains along into Galicia.
    2. Shetland Islands. (In the north Sea between Scotland and Norway)
    3. North West Coast of Ireland from northern tip down to Galway.
    On the Ireland trip I ran a mixed set of tyres.
    Standard size front DistanziaSM.
    Conti Trail Attack rear. 150/70/17.
    For me that's perfect. I shan't be trying anything else I guess.
    The DistanziaSM rear's (I ran 2 sets) turned out to be too thin and easily damaged and wore out much too quickly.
    The DistanziaSM front lasts incredibly well, (4 to 5K miles), and "grips for England".
    I haven't worn out the Conti rear yet so dont know how it will last but after 2000 miles it is pristine and will go loads more. The narrower tyre handles even better than the stock size.
    This combination I know others have tried, but I did probably my biggest-ever emergency crash-stop in Ireland, on a broken-tarmac, soaking wet, gravelly road, and just stopped with no drama in an astonishingly short distance.
    That'l do me.
    Happy Adventuring guys and gals.
    Ted.
    PS. I am seriously considering going one better than my Hagon shock and fitting a Yam R1 shock which several others have done. Anybody want my "Special" Hagon after I have fitted the R1 one and tested it ok?
  8. AustinJake

AustinJake DR650 - Versys

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all your posting, your project and travels with your Versys is part of what has inspired me to outfit mine for traveling, on and off road. The reliability is very important to me and I believe the Versys has it. I did my first 1400 mile round trip to New Mexico to ride the forest roads there. This week, heading out to Big Bend, and then again to New Mexico 2 weeks from now. I installed a 24w LED cyclops lamp, trying to get more confidence to ride in the dark (bad eyes), I got rid of all things attached to the "ears" on the oil pan, so neither the Algard nor the stock plastic side panels connect to the oil pan ears, I have seen 2 cases of those ears being broken by rocks hitting what is bolted to them. I went ahead and put the TKC 130 I bought for the front on the bike, I raised the front fender 1.75", and kept the stock brake line crossover arrangement. I had to shave a quarter inch from each side of the TKC. I won't be running anymore TKCs on the front, I will be running a stock size Pirelli MT60.

[​IMG]
  9. B.Curvin

B.Curvin Feral Chia Tamer

Oddometer:

What seat do you have?
  10. AustinJake

Oddometer:
    Its a Corbin, I got it with the bike when I bought it. That seat is beyond fantastic, once it molded to my ass bones, I can do 700-800 miles in a day and it's like a short trip. I never put much stock in custom seats but I'm a believer now.
  11. badweatherbiker

badweatherbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very nice Jake, very nice. Coming around the Big Bend of Florida? I would love to see that Versys in person....
  12. Ted99UK

Ted99UK Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great stuff! Keep it up.
    Ted.
  13. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    i'm in email contact w/ western powersports who distribute shinko tires.
    they are in turn in contact with korea about making the 120-17" 705 radial & tubeless plus also possibly making a radial & tubless 700.
    http://www.shinkotireusa.com/product/product.php?id=63

they realize the versys, new multi & newest tiger use a 120-17" front w/ only 1 DS tire option.
  14. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just curious, but how far are you guys raising your front fenders? Anyone have the fender hit the lower triple clamp? Or do you not ever bottom the forks? I did a lot of measuring and checking before I converted mine to the 19" V Strom front wheel. And I figured, with the forks in the triple clamps at the stock position, if you raise the fender more than about 50mm, the fender will hit the lower triple clamp, and that is with the brake line support bracket removed and the line rerouted out of the way.
  15. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    mine is raised the typical 70mm with the brake line guide turned upside down, and the forks all the way down in the clamps. no interference, and i've bottomed the forks many times with both the 17 and 19" wheels. the fender will hit the guide in it's normal mounted position at 70mm, so a change is required there.
  16. AustinJake

Oddometer:
    I raised mine 1 3/4 inches, I figure I have about 1/4 inch clearance on a bottoming.

Update on mine, my 2nd trip to New Mexico, I had some guys take me on some rough roads, fast travel, crossed the Rio Grande. Took a couple of spills, the suspension on the Versys wasn't up to the speeds and terrain that I put it on. Ended up cracking the cowlings up pretty bad.

[​IMG]

Wasn't too concerned about it, got some ABS cement from lumber yard ($3 for a can), Dremeled the cracks and the hole, patched it up, rattle-canned it with truck bed coating, now I have a two-tone Versys, I like it.

[​IMG]
  17. justanotherider

justanotherider justanotherider

Oddometer:
    For what it's worth to add to your conversation about front tires, I ran a King rear knobby on the front to accommodate ice studs a couple of winters back, without any issues. The front was a bit more work to turn; but it worked ok.

For "off road" riding, (ice road in my case) I found the rear suspension required considerably more than stock preload to reduce wheel travel on big bumps. My studs hit the inner fender on the rear when I whacked a couple of pot-holes really hard.

I've found the bike runs on gravel just fine on stock tires, up to about 80 mph or so, (haven't tried running it any faster on gravel, so can't say it won't work at higher speeds).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    rlbowers03 likes this.
  18. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    Holy crap!! :eek1
  19. AustinJake

Oddometer:

That's a kick-ass snow sled!
  20. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    i'd finish the job and go all flat black.