Kawasaki Versys Adventure

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Ted99UK, Jul 21, 2010.

1. mike1952

mike1952 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I really like the looks of the Versys. How do I justify owning one and also having a Vstrom? Call it a supermoto?
  2. Jakobzen

Jakobzen ├╝ber nOOb

Oddometer:
  3. Gribbs

Gribbs n00b

Oddometer:
    :nortonHey Guys,

I'm new here on this forum, have had my V for just under a year now (brilliant bike). i was woundering if any one could advise me what off road tyres are available for the Versys? i have been checking out the MT 60 Corsa's. has anyone tried these off road

suggestions much needed
  4. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the forum and thread. This has been discussed ad nauseam on the owners froum: http://www.kawasakiversys.com/

There is also a UK version of that forum if you search.

Some of the owners have setup to be more off-road but they usually end up just getting a real dualsport. The whole beauty of the versys is that it's such a great little road bike. Taking away it's best traits seems like such a waste, and then it's really good for nothing. Any mods for making it dirtworthy also take away from its good street handling. We've all been down that train of thought; for me it brought just a tire change - have ordered out Pirelli Scorpion Trails, what you find on 'strada, F800, and Tiger 800. I'm doing a weekend adventure ride end of the month with them so will have a better feel for if they are a big improvement or not, and how they will do on dirt roads.

The MT60 is a supermotard compound so it is reported to stick pretty well, and do okay on dirt. However, it is reported vibey from the knobs, the tread is very shallow so it's usefullness off road is pretty questionable. Wears out pretty quick too because of the soft compound, but these bikes are fairly light on the front so there are some reports of decent mileage from them, in the 5K range. Some like them, some dont. Some of the Uly guys like them, and a lot of them also like the Avon Distanzia.

Some of the more hardcore will mount a TKC or Tourance 130/70 rear tire on the front and raise the fender, run two brake lines. Helps for dirt but really slows steering down. Popular with Tourances for hardcore adventure, crossing central and south America for thousands of miles, or Alaska runs, etc. I imagine the bike is no longer a great little canyon carver.

Check out the owners forum, see you there. :thumb
  5. browneye

Oddometer:

Hmmm...we answered this on the 'owners check-in' thread. You didn't like the answer? :rolleyes

The Versys is a better street bike than the 'strom. The strom is better for dirt roads and two-up. Power characteristics are a little more torquey on the 'strom with the v-twin. But they are more similar than different. The versys is not a supermotard, it's too heavy and not setup like a dirtbike.

If you really like the Versys and can't justify having one with a 'strom, sell it and get what you want. I had one of the early DL1000's - great bike but much more bulky and not nearly as nimble as the Versys. The V is more fun to ride, it's about 150lbs lighter, but can't haul 2-up with luggage at 125+.

Best to analyze your own needs and riding style and buy what best suits. You could also get a test ride on one and see if you like it.
  6. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    opinions vary.
  7. browneye

Oddometer:
    It's obvious your opinion is to make it a dirt bike. I don't think anyone would argue that your goal was to build a 'street bike'. No?

:rofl
  8. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    my comment wasn't specific to anything i'm doing, but no, i'm not building dirt bikes.
  9. oldturtle

oldturtle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Old topic but interesting anyway. I plan to keep my DL1000 Vee with Jessie bags and I will call this my adventure touring ride. Very convenient for high speed, heavy loads, and will function on Dalton Highway to Prudoe Bay with appropriate tires and with luggage parked in Coldfoot.

The Versys will be nicer for local twisty road rides. Also good for moderate touring where paved roadability is more important than high speeds and heavy loads. I will call this my street adventure ride.

I would have more trouble justifying both a DL650 Wee and a KLE650 Versys in garage at the same time. Both bikes seem to have too many similarities and too much overlap in capabilities considering that I also have a DR650 in garage where dirt capability trumps streetability.:freaky

My Versys
  10. GsVs

GsVs Goin' Somewhere

Oddometer:
    just cause ... :D
  11. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Just glad to be here.

Oddometer:
    We had a demo day for Kawi's today and I rode the Z1000, C14 and the Versys. My favorite was the C14.

Anyway, the things I didn't like about the Versys was first the bad vibrations, second the difficulty in shifting. Good things were the lightweight and low end power. Are the handlebars rubber mounted?
  12. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    There is a lot of talk in this thread about running a rear tire up front. Most it appears to be a 130 width. With the bulkiness of these tires I am curious as to how it affect mpg. Anybody running this set up have an opinion on this? The tourance front/rear combo has appeal based on the reported wear rates alone.
  13. David R

David R I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer:
    Not that I can tell. I filled mine with #6 or 8 shot. It made a huge difference. Vibrations are gone.

David
  14. NDTransplant

NDTransplant Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    swimmer I am running a 130/80-17 Heidenau Scout on the front of mine and I can't tell any noticeable difference in fuel mileage.
  15. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    thanks
  16. Krasniewski

Krasniewski I don't ride much.

Oddometer:
    I did a Versys demo and couldn't get over that shifting action... just atrocious.

I'm sitting on a Ninja 650 tranny now and it's not as bad - but maybe they just break in over time.

The vibes never got to me - but I guess that's a relative thing.
  17. Yearroundrider

Yearroundrider Tim.

Oddometer:

please tell me where I can get that windscreen
    :D
  18. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:

the cartridge transmission is identical across the 2006+ ptwin models versys/er6f/er6n. same ratios too.
  19. David R

David R I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer:
    The transmission smooths out in time. I think I got used to it too. LUBE inside the rubber boots of the linkage and around the left foot peg where the shift pivots. Makes a huge difference.

David
  20. browneye

Oddometer:
    I couldn't tell from your post, but if you've narrowed your buying choices down to these three then you're still undecided about what kind of riding you'll do as they are not even in the same general class of bikes, especially the big 1400.

As far as the Versys, shifting improves dramatically after break in, and with getting experience with it. Vibrations are a none-issue as well compared to other motorcycles. Is it as smooth as the C14? No.

Versys owners generally feel there's nothing else out there that compares in its price point. Best bang for buck in the biz. If money were no object I would have a Tiger 1050 or an 800XC. And maybe throw in a Hypermotard or a Street-Triple for urban hooligan antics.