Kawasaki Versys-X 300

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by shyam334, Nov 8, 2016.

1. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. adsinger

adsinger Ride fast. Stop often.

Oddometer:
    Has anyone here checked your coolant level?

According to the owners manual, level should be checked when cold and should be to a level indicated by a "finger" molded into the container. That make the container about 50% full. My bike runs cool, no overheating problem at all, but looking into the overflow container there is virtually nothing there. Checking the bike of my riding buddy, his is the same. I don't know if this is a problem or not. Is the book wrong?
  3. ex_MGB

ex_MGB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I added coolant. Hard to see. Just filled till it overflowed. It will burp out the extra. Have not checked it since.

Sent from my SM-J320VPP using Tapatalk
  4. PaD

PaD Serial beginner

Oddometer:
    I'll check mine tomorrow now that I have a centerstand.
    The temperature seems to rise quickly when riding slow even if it's not really hot outside. Heard the fan go on one or two times.
    Wondering what it's like in countries like e.g. Thailand and slow traffic. Is the temp gauge always next to top mark?
  5. k12rsrdr

k12rsrdr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had the exact same scenario and filled it cold to between the marks...I had assumed the dealer didn't get it right...
  6. green_VX300

green_VX300 n00b

Oddometer:
    I changed my rear sprocket to 38T keeping the original front (14T). It required 5 links from the stock chain to be removed. So, now transmission final reduction ratio is 2.714 (old one was 3.286). Everything was fine, but after 200 with something miles "check engine" came, and instead of the gear number on the display it shown just horizontal arrows. I checked the code; it was 25 - "Gear Position Sensor". The signal from the sensor to ECU was OK. It seemed like ECU problem, but the bike runs just fine. I decided to take my bike to the dealer, because ECU replacement on the Versys 300 cost about 1K.

They confirmed my suspicions and placed an order for a new ECU, but Kawasaki disagreed. After more than a week negotiations, Kawasaki came to a conclusion that ECU is OK, but it accumulates errors from the transmission because of different reduction ratio. They suggested me to put original rear sprocket and see what happen. I said that it is impossible, because my chain is shortened for the smaller rear sprocket. I didn't expect so much stupidity from Kawasaki; since they made me a hard time while shortening the chain (it is a different story). I proposed to erase the code and will continue driving until the next time the code appears. They agreed. That time came two days ago after several hundred miles. I did the same procedure of checking signal from the sensor. Everything was OK, and I manually erased error code. 70 miles passed after that and the bike runs like nothing happened, no "check engine". Looks like ECU and sensor are good, but need reflash.

I was at dealership today and ask if they have technical abilities to reprogram ratio in the ECU firmware. The answer was that they need to talk to Kawasaki in such non-typical case and will call me back.

Just forget, my VX is non-ABS.

That is my story so far. To be continued...

Addendum about chain:

Be careful if you want to change the rear sprocket to a smaller one. In most cases it requires to shorten the chain. Sounds like not a big deal, but the problem is that Kawasaki don't know what chain they install on the production line. I ordered master link (catalog 92058) at my local dealer, but it didn't fit to the stock chain. As appears, the pin diameter of the new master link was 5.36 mm, whereas in the stock chain it was 5.16 mm. The dealer contacted Kawasaki, they said it is absolutely impossible, and sent one more "true verified" link. Guess what? It didn't fit again. After two weeks talking between Kawasaki and the dealer they finally sent a new chain with a master link. Everybody knows that OEM chains never match the retail one (it is done on purpose), but the manufacturer should know the difference and have listed catalog parts matched to the production line parts. Seems not Kawasaki ...

As a result, it took long three and half weeks to remove five links from my VX chain.
    Brockie and The_Precious_Juice like this.
  7. adsinger

adsinger Ride fast. Stop often.

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the informative update. How did you manually erase the error code from the ECU?
  8. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bullwinkle and I have the Kappa 46L top case. It's an exact clone of the Givi monokey version. I have the Kappa mounting plate on my BMW F650GS and the Givi plate on my VX300. The plate is a great fit on the VX300 luggage rack without any other stuff. It bolted up in under 5 minutes for both of us.

...ken...
  9. jgiacobbe

jgiacobbe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone know the thread size for the mirrors? I broke one last weekend. Travelling for work now and received notice that a replacement is backordered until September. I figure if the threads are standard 13mm, then I'll order some generic aftermarket for the time being.
  10. Brockie

Brockie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your post. My 15/42 causes the ECU to throw out a fault code and I have no intention of returning to stock gearing. Many owners change the gearing on their bikes to suit their particular use.
    I was very interested that yours is Non ABS as previously only ABS version owners have so far reported an issue with re-gearing and we had thought that somehow the ABS system was involved. I agree that an ECU flash is the most likely remedy. The other possible but expensive remedy might be a Ninja 300 ECU. It is very strange that the identical motor (right down to internal gear ratios and stated horsepower and torque numbers) must use a different ECU, as the ninja 300 runs a 42 tooth rear sprocket and ninja owners fit a 15 tooth front with no issues.
    Sorry for your chain woes. I just went down to the local shop and bought a couple of 520 joining links.
    Please keep in touch. I'm researching this and hope to achieve a resolution through Kawasaki.
    The_Precious_Juice likes this.
  11. Dvrguy

Dvrguy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When I got mine home I noticed the overflow container was completely empty. I filled it up to where the manual indicated and has stayed there. I called the dealer and he apologized and said it was supposed to be filled at the factory. My guess is there is a disconnect between who is supposed to fill it and how much. Hsve heard the same thing from another X owner. So if you buy a new bike check the reservoir before you leave the dealer.
  12. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    There could be an air pocket in the way cooling system designed, so it takes a few heat cycles to get air out. Any time I've done repairs, radiator replacements, etc on cars/bikes you needed to top it off. It is possible they haven't figured out by how much it needs to be overfilled at factory?
  13. green_VX300

green_VX300 n00b

Oddometer:
    Sorry, my bad. Would you please point me to the place where code 25 related to the sprockets change discussed? Thanks.

I want ECU to be reprogrammed. It is completely different, don't you think?
  14. green_VX300

green_VX300 n00b

Oddometer:
    Here is information about service codes.

How To Read Service Codes:

Turn on ignition.
    Push the upper meter button to display the odometer.
    Push the upper meter button and Iower meter button for more than 2 seconds.
    The service code is displayed on the LCD instead of odometer. Multiple codes will be displayed in a sequence with the interval of 2 seconds.
    Turn on/turn off the ignition to return the display to the normal operation mode.

How To Erase Service Codes:

Turn on the ignition and start the engine.
    Keep the idling more than 30 seconds.
    Run the bike for more than 5 minutes at a speed of 25 mph or more.
    Stop. Turn the ignition switch off.
    Repeat the above procedures 3 times.

Service Codes:

11 Main throttle sensor malfunction, wiring open or short.
    12 Intake air pressure sensor malfunction, wiring open or short.
    13 Intake air temperature sensor malfunction, wiring open or short.
    14 Water temperature sensor malfunction, wiring open or short.
    21 Crankshaft sensor malfunction, wiring open or short
    24 Rear wheel rotation sensor malfunction, wiring open or short.
    25 Gear position sensor malfunction, wiring open or short.
    31 Vehicle-down sensor malfunction, wiring open or short.
    32 Sub throttle sensor malfunction, wiring open or short.
    33 Oxygen sensor malfunction or Inactivate, wiring open or short.
    39 ECU communication error
    41 Fuel injector #1 malfunction, wiring open or short.
    42 Fuel injector #2 malfunction, wiring open or short.
    51 Stick coil #1 malfunction, wiring open or short.
    52 Stick coil #2 malfunction, wiring open or short.
    56 Radiator fan relay malfunction, wiring open or short.
    62 Subthrottle valve actuator malfunction, wiring open or short.
    64 Air switching valve malfunction, wiring open or short.
    67 Oxygen sensor heater malfunction, wiring open or short.
    94 Fuel supply system malfunction
    3A Purge valve malfunction, wiring open or short (Equipped Models).

Hope it helps.
  15. green_VX300

green_VX300 n00b

Oddometer:
    How to Check the Gear Position Sensor

The gear position sensor in Versys 300 is a Hall-effect, not a resistive one as on previous models. This type of sensors cannot be checked with multimeter only. The procedure is still simple.

Using alligator clip on the multimeter probe with needle, insert the needle to the output pin of the sensor on the connector as shown. Make sure the needle goes in parallel the wire exactly between the wire insulation and a tiny rubber seal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Connect the other multimeter probe to the chassis. Turn on ignition. Switch throughout all gears and observe the voltage changes. The voltages should vary from +4.7V to +0.2V. Turn off the ignition. Done.

There is another option if you want to check sensor condition visually. Unscrew the sensor from the engine body and memorize its position (important). Slow rotate the sensor with a screwdriver and observe the same voltages change within full 360 degrees. Turn off the ignition and install sensor back exactly in the same position as it was removed.
    cyclopathic and rich9402 like this.
  16. Cole Trickle

Cole Trickle n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello VX 300 family!

I just purchased mine silver ABS model at Romney Cycles in WV, they had the best price by far! $4,900 OTD before taxes, for anyone interested. I've got just 1,000 miles on it so far and I love it!

Now to the point... Earlier in this thread, some folks posted a picture where they traded the under seat panels between the silver and the green bikes. If the OP see's this, can you please re-post these photos? I think it looked better for both bikes involved and would like to do it myself. In my opinion, it's how the bikes should have left the factory.

Do any of you green bike owners want to trade panels? My black plastic for your silver plastic, damage-free of course! I'm in Western NY; Rochester, to be specific. I also regularly travel to the Detroit area. Capture.JPG
  17. YJake

YJake PAR Nation Supporter

Oddometer:
    IMG_3054.JPG
    IMG_3055.JPG

They do look better with the plastics swapped.

-Jake
    JMo (& piglet) and Cole Trickle like this.
  18. speedysheep

speedysheep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just purchased a green V-X here in Indianapolis ($5300 OTD after taxes) and might be interested in swapping panels. I'll be traveling very close to Rochester on the V-X in a couple weeks. Let me get back to you.
  19. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Note in that picture that Bullwinkle and I swapped the forward panels as well. I no longer have any grey panels and his is all silver. I think if you're going to do it it's best to do it all rather than just going half way. But it's all personal preference.

...ken...
  20. 7thson

7thson "I went into the woods because...."

Oddometer:
    None...love it!
    The seat is numbing after a couple of hours. The first 500 break-in miles were a chore, luckily I've plenty of 35-45 mph back roads near by. The 2nd 500 are a blast - although the seat hasn't changed! ABS no issue on loose gravel, down hills. Hit a hefty baby-brain at 15mph and bottomed out the front - that will get a mod.
    Hoping the after-market guys hurry up and figure out a skid/crash plate.