Kawasaki Versys-X 300

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by shyam334, Nov 8, 2016.

1. PaD

PaD Serial beginner

Oddometer:
    I interpret the description above as the sensor check was performed without having the engine running, just ignition on. Is that correct?
    I volunteer to ask stupid questions. It will be quite clear to most of you that I'm not an engineer. :D
    If there is a sensor that delivers different voltages for each gear position why then is an altered final drive messing up things for the ECU and gear indicator? Couldn't the gear indicator be satisfied with these different voltages and just not bother about rpm and road speed?
    :shog
  2. green_VX300

green_VX300 n00b

Oddometer:
    That is correct.

That is a question to Kawasaki "super" designers. I have no idea, why they did it. Unfortunately there are some other questionable stupid engineering approaches on the VX-300. Not to mention recent NHTSA VX-300 safety recall related to the brake/tail bulb socket. As appears they were unable properly replicate even existing and verified for decades socket design.
  3. PaD

PaD Serial beginner

Oddometer:
    Checked mine today.
    Really difficult to get a reading through that opaque container. At first I thought there was nothing in the expansion chamber. It wasn't until I used a flashlight I could actally see that there is coolant in the exp. chamber. I took off the scew cap on container and pointed the flashlight through the opening and could then see that there is coolant well above the low mark.

Question about oil level
    Today I saw that my level after oil change is above top mark. The check window is full. Should I worry? It's really annoying as it was changed/filled by dealers mechanic.
    I have ridden approx. 250miles since oil change.
    Should I try to get some oil out so that it's at top mark in oil check window?
  4. Fuzzy74

Fuzzy74 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Take some oil out. Not good to run over filled.
    k12rsrdr and Brockie like this.
  5. PaD

PaD Serial beginner

Oddometer:
    Thank you for your advice
  6. Dvrguy

Dvrguy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Motorcycle manufacturers like car manufacturers don't build much they all assemble. My guess is one of their suppliers let a bad batch out
  7. Chucksklrst

Chucksklrst Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello all, Just picked up a slightly used VX300 non ABS silver/gray, and have been reading thru this bunch of threads. Only about one third of the way. Good Info. Am really interested in the plastic panel swap. Any body in the Denver area with a green VX300 that would like to trade the silver to black panels, let me know.

By the way I have been hanging out on the XT350 forum. Got a XT 350 for sale in the Fla Market.
  8. 9BADVRadio

9BADVRadio I don't want a pickle

Oddometer:
    I got notice in the mail Thursday or Friday. I plan to have it done once the dealer gets parts but I'v already change our the bulb with an LED that fits better.
  9. rich9402

rich9402 n00b

Oddometer:
    Well I took your suggestion and ordered a $20 Sit&Fly from a well known auction website, I chose the same size they'd listed for a CB500X.

I did a 220 mile trip yesterday and spent around 6-7 hours on the bike mainly on B or unclassified roads with some green lanes thrown in. It's made a great difference considering it was only $20. At the end of the day I was still feeling the need for a bit more padding but I might place an extra pad under the cover if I was doing several long days on the bike.

I've very happy with the improvement and it looks quite neat too:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for the suggestion cyclopathic!

Edit: I should add that I have the tall seat (standard in the UK).
  10. DandM

DandM Long timer

Oddometer:
    We got our recall notice last Wednesday, called Fun Bike Center, Lakeland, no reply from them yet.
  11. Dvrguy

Dvrguy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My dealer could not get a delivery date for the recall socket. My Guess is it will be a while
  12. Dvrguy

Dvrguy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Which bulb did you use
  13. dirtmarine

dirtmarine Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My bike is still at dealer (was available on June 22) but waiting on accessories that are back ordered. After the recall dealer said he can't sell bike until they correct the problem. They are waiting on the parts for that. I think at time of sale I should ask for additional concessions on price, etc. beyond the 10% discount on accessories. In fairness to salesman I did say I was willing to wait on most accessories as I did not want to keep taking bike back for install. Seems Kawi has a supply problem on accessories and that some consideration should be due the buyer at time of sale.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  14. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Definitely ask
  15. victay

victay Enthusiastic Noob

Oddometer:
    Some motorcycle noob questions for those of you that have experience with other bikes as well as the Versys. Have tried to search on the forum, but not quite found the answers I'm looking for.
    1. I noticed that the bike vibrates quite a lot. especially around the 100km mark. Definitely get a bit of a buzz coming through the seat at that point about 7500 rpm. After a longish ride, my hands were tingling when I stopped. Is this normal? I though twins were supposed to be less buzzy than singles? I realise, I was probably overgripping a bit, but even my little honda grom at full throttle doesn't seem to vibrate as much as the Versys.

2. Downshifting. Occasionally being a newish rider I don't quite get it right coming to a stop and haven't always been able to downshift all the way to 1st prior to stopping. With the Versys, I have noticed that once stopped, It just won't change down. I have some success with shuffling forward and putting the revs up a wee bit, but not always and at least twice have had to take off in 2nd or 3rd. Some googling tells me that this is a sort of normal thing on sport bikes, but I am curious as to whether anyone else has experience this in the Versys and what the correct solution would be if say I had to slam on brakes to avoid hitting something, but then need to get my bike going again?
  16. dirtmarine

Oddometer:
    I think these are excellent questions and since I don't have my bike yet I can't be of much help. I know some of the experienced riders, new owners here will chime in when they see the questions - I look forward to any comments as well.
  17. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most likely they wouldn't wanna renegotiate the deal but may/will offer additional concessions on something like service, gear, etc.

You could try to play hardball but then you must be ready to walk away from the deal. Check with cycletrader and give a couple calls maybe the bike you want is in stock within 250mi drive good luck.
  18. Fuzzy74

Fuzzy74 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    1. Several here have reported vibration at 7,500 rpm so apparently a characteristic of this bike.

2. I have not had trouble down shifting when stopped. Try rocking the bike back and forth which can help if tight.
    Brockie likes this.
  19. dirtmarine

Oddometer:
    How many miles do you have? Some of these things smooth out after first oil change and some miles.
  20. Sole sUrchin

Sole sUrchin n00b

Oddometer:
    500km's short of the first major service and if I'm honest...totally happy.
    Its not as quick on acceleration as the ZR7 but handling is superb, fuel consumption phenomenal and overall, a super package.
    Once the 6000km service is done I'll be looking at a trip from JoBurg to Cape Town via the back roads for sure!