Kawasaki Versys-X 300

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by shyam334, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Lesharoturbo

Lesharoturbo Nerdly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the thread.
    As a new bike, not a lot of aftermarket, but things are coming; seats, mufflers, engine guards, etc. Some are already in the market.

It is a small, somewhat light, bike. This feeling of stability I think is too subjective for anyone to tell you. What I think is stable, others find unstable. What some find stable, I find ponderous. To each his own.

I strongly suggest you try it for yourself. Get a test ride and see what you think.
  2. BigCanoe

BigCanoe Vespa Man

Oddometer:
    Good point! I just watched this video, it really made me second think the CRF250L I was considering in favor of the Versys:

Plus the fact that I am getting quoted a lower price on the Versys!
  3. Deadlyapollo

Deadlyapollo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got the x300 because it feels almost identical to the vstrom just lower on power. Highways fine, nothing really to write about. You'll get around 59mpg at 75mph at 8.5k rpms. I really enjoy it. It's like a mini vstrom with the same capabilties.
  4. Lesharoturbo

Oddometer:
    One of the other things that drive me crazy is wind protection. I have never ridden a motorcycle with a windshield. My current bike is a KLX650C with a small headlight fairing. I really do not notice the wind. I can't understand the whole buffeting issue since I have zero experience with it. I find it to be a preference only, not a necessity.
    The_Precious_Juice likes this.
  5. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice The Virginian

Oddometer:
    That is how I would sell the bike if I was a Sales man.

The DR200 is 88lbs lighter than the MIGHTY DR. But you can't do Freeway without making yourself a soft t Target.

The X 300 is about 88lbs lighter than the Dl650. But you can do Freeway.

Seems like a easy sell.
    $5,699 with ABS.
  6. 9BADVRadio

9BADVRadio I don't want a pickle

Oddometer:
    I have not yet ridden in a wind or thunder storm, I have been down the freeway at 75 - 80 and around 18 wheelers and was pleasantly surprised at how little I was pushed around. I’m hoping to take some weekend trips including freeway riding this fall and I’m not feeling concerned about the highway miles. At I figurer loading some camping gear will just improve things as far as wind as long as I pack properly.

The after market stuff is pretty sparse, I do have a new foam and cover kit from Seat Concepts arriving today. I’m looking forward to installing that and hoping it makes longer high distance between stops possible. The bike seems to be selling well so I expect after market to improve. I’m hearing skid plates will be available this fall.

Once more thought. I bought the Kawasaki top case with the bike. Over all it’s OK but kinda cheaply made. The case has a plastic lanyard that keep the top from flopping forward. It’s fastened to the case with a screw on each end. With in two days I had to put gorilla glue on the screw and re-fasten as the both screws pulled out of the plastic with little pressure on my part. Fortunately, the glue seems to be holding and worst “case” it works OK with out the strap.
  7. adsinger

adsinger Ride fast. Stop often.

Oddometer:
    Look back in this thread, you'll see a photo of a homemade screen. It's really an instrument protector more than a windscreen. You can also simply unbolt the stock unit and ride that way. After experimenting I went back to the stock screen.
  8. BigCanoe

BigCanoe Vespa Man

Oddometer:
    It sounds like the centerstand is a nice thing to buy as an accessory. Is there a reference site or blog site for this bike, its hard to read through all these pages already :)
  9. GsVs

GsVs Goin' Somewhere

Oddometer:
    Hey 98 ... ..

Looking forward to your thoughts on the Seat Concepts ...

I have one on order - but it hasn't shipped yet ...

They only have one picture posted on their WEB site -- if you get a chance it would be great to see some pictures of the Stock and SC seat "side-by-side" to see the differenence in profile and seating width.

I've had SC seats on 4 different bikes and they were always a great improvement over stock.
  10. Lesharoturbo

Oddometer:
    Not knocking the screen, just never had one so do not know the difference.
  11. jgiacobbe

jgiacobbe Long timer

Oddometer:
    So far I've done a power outlet/GPS power circuit, givi topcase and kawasaki crash bars. The bars are actually pretty well made. The mounting points have a little bit of flex in them but I think it is intentional so as not to transmit bad forces to the frame. I managed to flip my bike off the side of my trailer by releasing the tension on one strap while the strap on the other side was pretty tight. Broke a mirror and scratched paint on the bar end. Otherwise no damage. Ordered a new lefthand mirror and it took about a week to arrive. I really wish somebody like hyde racing made a skid plate. I don't need a full steel/aluminum skid plate for this little beasty. A polymer one that replaced the two plastic pieces on the sides of the engine but covered more of the bottom and front to protect from gravel/sticks flung up by the front wheel would be good enough for me.

Not worried about the seat right now. It is a little hard but I can ride 3-400 miles on it in a day without wishing I had an ass replacement.

As far as the rider that described it as being DL650 like but with less power, you left out something else. The VX300 is way easier to ride on softer gravel/dirt roads and makes the DL650 feel like it weighs a ton more.
    Kd70qc and oceansfiftyseven like this.
  12. 9BADVRadio

9BADVRadio I don't want a pickle

Oddometer:
    After trying to keep up with friends riding a DRZ-400 and LKR650 both with stock tires I bumped the priority of getting new tires. I put on a set of TCK-80s and have been happy on and off the road. We went out again last week and I had no issues keeping up. Sure don't miss the back end rolling out from under me on gravel.
  13. Llamaha

Llamaha Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I rode a DR200 25,000KM around South America. Have to say that I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Was good having a reliable bike though, I was much quicker than many people on bigger more expensive bikes because they would get stuck everywhere waiting for parts. A DR650 or something would have been way better though.
  14. kojack

kojack AMF!

Oddometer:
    Using my KLR and versys as a yard stick, putting a tire like Kenda big blocks etc on the v 300 will not degrade pavement riding that much, but increased grip off road is VERY noticeable. I put about 5000km on my bbs on pavement with no issue. 1 up, 2 up, fast / slow didn't matter...it kept composure!
  15. EastBoundAndDown

EastBoundAndDown Ron - 300XC-W DR650 T1050SE

Oddometer:
    Kenda BB rear on my DL650... went 5500 miles and gripped great
  16. ex_MGB

ex_MGB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The 35" seat height with my 30" inseam, for the type of riding I bought my X-300 for (good bit of stopping/starting) took the Rally right off my radar. When I went in to pick up my permanent tags from the dealership for my X-300, there was a Rally parked next to an Africa Twin and one good look convinced me I made the right choice with the X-300 as that extra 3" really stuck out.

BTW, my experience just after break-in was some vibration at 7k rpm or so which smoothed out after a few WOT near redline shifts. I have 1400 miles now and it seems to keep getting just a tad smoother throughout the range. My CBR250R felt like it was not fully broke in until 2300 miles.

My opinion is you really need to get on these little bikes, the worst thing you can do is baby them. What a great call by Kawi to bring this "adv-ish" bike to market with such a sweet, bomb proof sport bike engine.
    Kd70qc and The_Precious_Juice like this.
  17. Chucksklrst

Chucksklrst Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    SAM_1955 (3).JPG SAM_1957 (2).JPG SAM_1964 (2).JPG SAM_1960 (2).JPG

My first real ride on my 300X

Today I had the first chance to take out the new Little Gray Bike (Versys 300X Kawasaki)and really put it thru the paces for which I bought it. My main reason was to have a bike large enough to ride 30 miles across Denver and then small enough to hit the many forest service and dirt roads that crisscross the Front Range Foothills. Of course before I bought this bike I read and watched all the info that was on the internet, and every one knows the internet does not lie. But I need to find out if that was all true. In a word, YES.

Headed across town around 7am, right in the middle of morning rush hours. Lots of cars and stop and go. The little bike handled it very well. Fast enough to pick and scoot into the holes that sleepy drivers left open. Quick enough to keep up with faster traffic, and light enough to come to quick stops as needed. This little Versys would make for a great commuter, however I would recommend the ABS model for the morning commute. My bike is a Non ABS as I don't plan on riding in rush hour often, I am retired and don't need to Ride To Work anymore. Besides I bought it to ride the dirt forest service roads. After about 30 mins of stop , go , stop and go again we broke out on the west side of Denver with four lane highway. Speed limit was 65 but everyone is moving at 75 or so. Is this little 300cc machine going to keep up? Yes it will, engine is turning at 9000 rpm in 6th gear at 75 mph. Motor is very smooth and there is no tingling in the hand grips. The speed did not seem to bother the little bike. Smooth, planted and vibration free. The little Versys passed my traffic and Freeway test just fine. With that said, I don't think I would run freeway all day long on this bike, That is what my FJR is for. It most likely can do it, but why?

Stopped for gas at the base of the foot hills and but 2.3 gal. in the bike. First time I fueled it up as the dealer gave me almost a full tank. I had put 127 miles on it so far. Now I will be able to get an accurate mpg reading. As a side note: the first of six fuel gage segments dropped off at 90 miles today. Tank is suppose to hold 4.5 gals. Need a few more days before I fill it up again. Headed up the hill to Rampart Range Road (67) Nice tight twisties. Bike handled great, going up as fast as I dared, was in 4th gear most of the way. No issues with power. Just remembering to keep the revs up in the power band, which seems to be 7k rpm +. On over the hill and down the other side with lots more twists and turns leveling out at Sprucewood. Here I make the turn onto 3 miles of dirt road, Night Hawk Canyon with a 15% grade for about a mile. First gear all the way down this dirt canyon. First gear is very low almost too low of a gear. This road drops down to the South Platte River and then runs parallel to the river. If one takes a left turn it is 10 miles to Deckers all paved twisties. A right turn will follow down stream along the river on a dirt road. Coming out on pavement at Foxton Road. Both ways are a lot of fun. I decided to take the right on the dirt road, to Foxton Road. The little bike handled the dirt road just fine. Of course it has some nice little sweeper turn, but nothing technical. This road use to be a rail bed back in the late 1800 to early 1900s. Hit the pavement and then up the hill on Foxton Road with again a lot of tight twisties. The little Versys was in it's Element. Lots of smiles and miles. I could go on and one about the route that I rode this morning but those who are not familiar with it would just get bored, so I'll just post the pictures.

As far as the bike is concerned it is everything the media has said it is to include the hard ass seat. After 5 hours and 150 miles of riding my butt did get a bit uncomfortable, and I like a hard seat. Will be looking for inexpensive solution to the seat issue. Windshield did a great job of deflecting the wind off my chest but put it right in my face. No problem if you ride with a closed visor. I like to ride with an open visor. Was not a problem until the speed got up above 35 mph or so. All in all I am going to really like this little machine for my daily foot hill / local city ride arounds. As soon as the tires wear out I will fit a bit more aggressive adventure touring tire. ie. Shinkos 705s? That is what I am running on my Wee Strom 650 right now. This bike is a keeper.

https://www.facebook.com/chuck.henderson.980
    ACR, Kd70qc, Roaddoggie and 8 others like this.
  18. augie05

augie05 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good little review above. Can you provide a quick comparison to your Wee Strom?
  19. augie05

augie05 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good little review above. Can you provide a quick comparison to your Wee Strom?
  20. k12rsrdr

k12rsrdr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice read and nice photos...thanks for posting!