Kawasaki Versys-X 300

Discussion in 'Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan' started by shyam334, Nov 8, 2016.

1. jgiacobbe

jgiacobbe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bulbs. Turn signals are 10 marked wy10w. City lights are marked w5w.

Edit: LEDs arrived.

W5W LEDs almost indistinguishable from the W16W LEDs. Looking closely 2 chips are different. Light output to the nekid eye is similar.

Also have yellow 194 LEDs for the turn signals that are supposed to be canbus compatible. The are plenty bright but as predicted, the OEM flasher doesn't work. I put new bulbs on the rear. Turn on turn signal and the flash too quick. Put o. Hazards and everything flashes normal rate. I assume this is because the front two bulbs put enough load on the flasher.
  2. Jesper Hedegaard

Jesper Hedegaard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well - about gearing, revs and highway usability, it seems we all agree to disagree ;o)
    On gearing, I'd like to state that after 1.200 km of mixed urban and highway riding, I prefer to leave it at stock gearing.
    Why?
    Because it seems as a very good compromise between lugging along in metropolis rush hour traffic playing "The ground is lava", scooting away in front of all at green light as 99% of cars here just cannot keep up - but yes; at highway speeds it does rev a bit (we have mostly 110 Kph with some 130 KpH stretches here).
    At 11 K revs my GPS is at 143-145 KpH - have not really tried to see if it can pull all 12 K revs yet but at 11 K, it seems to run somewhat out of steam so a fair stretch is needed to reach the full 12 K revs.
    So - if I gear it up, I'll loose some of the slow pace agility in congested traffic, perhaps a little accelleration - but most likely allso some top speed as I expect that it will stall acceleration at lower RPMs with a taller gearing.
    And quite frankly - between 9 to 11 K, it just purrs along and have plenty power to overcome highway inclines.
    Allthough Denmark is a flat country, so I cannot tell how it would behave on mountanous inclines ;o)

Comparing it to my previous KLX250S ie, they have something in common enginewise. Though one i a thumber and the other a twin - they both thrive on revs.
    Another previous of mine is the Ninja 250 ie - same thing. Seems to be a Kawasaki thing - and they seem to be build to stand revs.

Oh - a note on a 400 Versys; for the KLX250S there is several options for adding volume with overbore kits - wonder when something will show up for the VX ?
    ksmoker2 and inroads like this.
  3. firstshadow

firstshadow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice day for a ride!

20171008_121553.jpg
    Skooter, ACR, thehappyukulele and 2 others like this.
  4. rockt

rockt Long timer

Oddometer:

Where is that? Looks a little post-apocalyptic :fall
  5. inroads

inroads Go West old man

Oddometer:
    Little disappointed in aftermarket seat options at this point.

Seat Concepts......still waiting.......

Sargent........Nada....

Corbin......expensive and a funky shape to boot

Someone is bound to step up with such a popular bike.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  6. firstshadow

Oddometer:
    That's in the Angeles National Forest just north of Los Angeles. It was quite a busy day up there, tons of bikes, bicyclists, and cars!

I'm on the queue with Saddlemen seats to get a seat made, they're still backed up... I'll shoot them an email and try to see if we can get the schedule bumped up.
    inroads likes this.
  7. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gramp-Z said: "Hate the look of the top case , but real world handy is hard to argue with."

I resemble that remark! :beer

...ken...
  8. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    Interstates Freeways like RT 81, I-5 are boring as hell. Great way to go somewhere at a 5 mph crawl or an 85 mph death race blitz without seeing anything.
    Freeways like those are eight lanes of mind numbing soul sucking bone crushing purgatory that no motorcycle or motorcyclist deserves. No thanks, I'll pass.

Highways like RT 11, RT 66 RT 101. Now we're talking. Bliss. Nirvana.
    Kd70qc likes this.
  9. Ken in Regina

Oddometer:
    Yes, nice change and no issues here either.

...ken...
  10. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Jgiacobbe,

I'd say just different marketing words used for the same item.

This bike isn't canbus like BMWs are.

You can add cheap load resistors to make the flashers blink at the right speed. They are small gold boxes.

Here is a pic of those white wedges vs a traditional headlight (h1) bulb

IMG_20171008_174254.jpg IMG_20171008_174236.jpg
  11. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Expect to wait awhile for Sargent.
    They always move slowly. Some bikes take years.

Corbin is always out the gate first but often not the best seat. I think the Versys line are hard seats to make but that Corbin looks to be the right shape. Like Seat Concepts, Corbin probably did not take into account a taller seat might be needed by many. If you're short I bet it's comfy.

Seat Concepts will probably take some time to do it right now.
  12. Aleeoop70

Aleeoop70 EX-MX Adv Tourist

Oddometer:
    Oh, you realy meed to take that test ride!
  13. Aleeoop70

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
  14. Aleeoop70

Oddometer:
    I personally would not do the R1 ride around the world. I would probably pick a DR650 for that trip.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  15. PaD

PaD Serial beginner

Oddometer:
    Maybe when the rumoured new Ninja 400 is released?
  16. firstshadow

Oddometer:
    Just ordered a 15T front sprocket, thanks for the feedback guys!
  17. Ken in Regina

Oddometer:
    The stock gearing is so low that adding one tooth to the countershaft sprocket doesn't cost you the overall low gearing you are so happy with.

The sprocket change did two things for me. First, it means I can get across an intersection with one shift instead of two. Overall, it also means a little less shifting when riding around town. Second, it knocked off a little over 500 rpm at my most common highway cruising speed. That puts MY bike in a slightly sweeter spot at that speed (YMMV).

The combination of those two relatively minor things more than justified the 10 or 12 bucks I spent on the sprocket. For me.

I'm not trying to change your mind. We all find what works for us. I just didn't want anyone left with the idea that a small gearing change like one tooth on the countershaft sprocket would change the overall low gearing of the little Versys to any significant degree.

...ken...
    cyclopathic likes this.
  18. Ken in Regina

Oddometer:
    Oops, goofed again. These cases are 46 litre, not 42. They are the Kappa K46 cases. They will fit two full face helmets side by side.

They are a Givi clone. They even use the Givi Monolock base so it's easy to acquire a spare base if you want to easily share the same case between two bikes, as I do.

...ken...
    firstshadow likes this.
  19. firstshadow

Oddometer:
    ^ Even better! I picked an even bigger topbox, still waiting for it to come in - it's gonna make some great pics :lol3
  20. Ken in Regina

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to seeing them.

...ken...