Kawasaki Versys-X 300

Discussion in 'Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan' started by shyam334, Nov 8, 2016.

1. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are people like me who look at this and say I am glad I didn't get VX300… will wait for 400 (real reasons are initial lack of farkles and the fact I still need 2 years to put another 60k on Wee).

But yeah now that the cat is out of the bag how many will be sitting on the fence and waiting for 400? The VX300 sales've got to take a hit.
  2. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree 400 is a fresh sheet design and any speculations deserve a separate thread but yeah Good luck with that!
  3. MBM

MBM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    VX400 would be perfect for me aswell. If they could make and adv bike out of this engine then that would be even better. Let's wait and see, but good times ahead of us adv riders!
  4. PaD

PaD Serial beginner

Oddometer:
    John Aero, DavidM1 and cyclopathic like this.
  5. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's a separate thread on Ninja 400 take a look. From what I can tell they've gone to engine as a stress member with BMW-boxer-eske like front/rear subframes attached to it. Having modular 3-piece design (front/rear subframes, rearset with swing arm pivot) should make adjustments easier to carry out. Perhaps front/rear subframes are reusable between Ninja and Versys X, so only the rearsets need to get updated.

Question is if tank and plastic morning points are identical; if they are most of 300 will be carry-over.

EDIT: here's a picture of the frame:

[​IMG]
  6. PaD

PaD Serial beginner

Oddometer:
    @Skooter @cyclopathic
    Now we a 400 speculations thread
    edit
    Sorry , didn’t see cyclopathic already noticed
    Skooter and cyclopathic like this.
  7. Chucksklrst

Chucksklrst Been here awhile

Oddometer:

With all this talk about a 400X, I don't worry at all. It will be a minimum of two years before we see one in the US if ever. And as much fun as I am having with my newly acquired 300X, it will be worn out by then and ready to be upgraded / Traded in /sold /etc. It is only money and you can't take it with you. Stop worrying about something that has not happened and may not happen, and be Happy that we have the 300X to play in the dirt with. Now with that said GO RIDE.
  8. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    As long as it's at least two years before we see one here, I'll be okay with it. Even moreso if they keep the 300 in the lineup for at least one year along with the 400. Othrewise, what little resale value the bike would have will be down the toilet. I've already put more money and work into modding the VX than I did my Tiger.. partly because the Tiger came equipped with a lot more stuff (like engine guards, skid plate, hand warmers, etc).

BTW, this is an answer to comments made probably ten pages back, and I don't remember by whom. I thought of it several times and kept forgetting to post. It had to do with the concerns that this motor with its very high RPM nature won't last as long if ridden on the freeway. My response to that is that the motor will die due to poor maintenance long before it wears out from "the pistons going up and down too many times." Examples being poor air filter maintenance and lack of or improper valve adjustments. The #1 killer of the KLX250S engine have been dropped valves. I even bought about half of a KLX250S motor for about $100 after it dropped a valve, because I wanted a bunch of spare parts for various things. The motor had 80k on it when the valve dropped, and the PO even told me he rarely adjusted the valves. No wonder.

I'll admit that adjusting valves on a shim-under-bucket design like the VX (and my Tiger, and my Sprint, and my V-Strom before them) is a pain. It's time consuming. It's not at all simple like on my DR650, where a valve adjustment takes a total of twenty minutes from start to finish, and that includes disassembly and reassembly of the bike (plastics, tank, etc). My Sprint is due for a valve check/adjustment and I'm considering having a shop do it because I'm just NOT in the mood to fool with it.
  9. Chucksklrst

Oddometer:
    You aint' seen nothing yet. Replace the valve shims( Shim Under Bucket) on a FJR or a ST1300. Makes the little 300X look like child's play. Been there done that.

Attached Files:

10. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    We will have to wait; maybe they will announce VX 400 at EICMA.

Seriously since they switched to new platform for 250 too it doesn't make sense for current 250/300 stick around for long. Maybe 2019, maybe 2020; they are probably waiting to see what KTM 390 ADV come out with. Do they need to keep it as is? Or do they need to make it more off-road capable (and more expensive)?

IMHO they need to redesign 650 Versys first, give it "X" treatment plz.

And yes the resale value will take a dive, but after 3 years the residual value wouldn't be much regardless, so you loose maybe a couple hundred?
  11. Chucksklrst

Oddometer:
    Well the Farkling is finished for today. OEM Top Box with mount, and OEM hand guards have been installed. Still waiting on my Fender Extender from Twisted Throttle. Will be looking at some panniers and racks when Givi finally makes some for this bike. Don't like the looks of the OEM. and will be waiting for a different skid plate. Not fond of the looks of T-Rex. Then I think I will be done. Yea,Sure, Right, Fine.:imaposer

Attached Files:

12. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    Here's the thing... it doesn't make financial sense for Kawi to engineer a bike and only have it on the market for two years, especially at this price point. It seems to me it needs to be around for at least four, otherwise it's just a loss. I could be wrong, but that's what I'm thinking.

BTW... I don't care for the OEM hand guards because they do nothing to protect the levers if you drop the bike. They also won't protect your hands if you hit a tree. I'm going to order a set of Barkbusters for it in a couple weeks when my wallet stops smoldering from all the crap I've already bought for it. :)
    John Aero likes this.
  13. Chucksklrst

Oddometer:
    True, for trail riding. I am too old to be bouncing around on single track anymore. BTDT. I will stick to dirt roads and forest service roads. Lots of them here in Colorado. Each to his own.
  14. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am thinking it's normally would be the case too. What makes it question is:
    - need to maintain 2 parallel platforms
    - Euro4 compliance
    - competition (390 ADV)

Kawasaki can sit back and afford waiting at this point it would not be far fetched to assume 400X production date to co-inside with 390 ADV. Heck with 51mm stroke they can stroke it out to 500cc+ if they need to.
  15. Skooter

Skooter moto-slowpoke

Oddometer:
    Just received my Kawi hand guards and was impressed at how much thicker and stiffer they seemed than those on my '09 KLR. That's just from memory because I sold that bike a few yrs back. Neither one would protect the levers much though.
  16. PaD

PaD Serial beginner

Oddometer:
    The 250 market is huge in Asia so I think the VX250 will be alive for a couple of years.
  17. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    Time to move onto more regular topics. :)

So, the Ninja 300 has a slipper clutch. Does anybody know for sure if the VX300 does too? I've read that it does, but not by anything official from Kawi.
  18. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    @SoManyFish Ahhh that explains it! I've been trying to adjust the clutch so it doesn't engage all the way at the end of the clutch lever but have had limited success. My Tiger and DR650 are easier to ride because of the wider engagement zone, but the VX will take a little getting used to.
  19. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    2018 Ninja 250 is all new, the same new platform as 400. Brand new engine, new frame, plastics, etc, etc. Not sure yet if it is sleeved down or de-strocked.
  20. PaD

PaD Serial beginner

Oddometer:
    Hmm? I wasn’t really aware of that. It may change the lifespan for the 300.