Kawasaki Versys-X 300

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by shyam334, Nov 8, 2016.

1. GhettoCanuck

GhettoCanuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Kawasaki_VersysX_400_Rally.jpg
    Kawasaki should pay me as a conceptual artist.
  2. victay

victay Enthusiastic Noob

Oddometer:
    The OH finished off the video of our long weekend trip. Roughly 20% gravel roads and 80% tar. Bikes did well.

Excuse the unladylike burping and swearing. I had hoped he would edit it out, but he thought it was funny. I'm not usually so gross.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  3. whisperquiet

whisperquiet Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    62298 in lovely corrupt/bankrupt Southern Illinois
    I have been watching the recently EICMA 2017........absolutely nothing interests me. There is no new XTZ700 Tenere, CRF400L Ralley, 6 speed DR Z400S, etc. I recently sold my 2015 KLR650 (btw, my 9th KLR since 1991) and it looks like that a new leftover 2017 Kawasaki X 300 Versys will be purchased in about a week. I am tall at 6’4” and the stock seatwas not good when I sat on the X 300.......but, Seat Concepts emailed me that they are working on a new seat——otherwise, I may buy the accessory X 300 tall seat from Kawaski.

Planned purchases also include a center stand, heated grip liners, and a set of the Shad 23 liter bags and mounts.

Has anyone purchased the Kawasaki tall seat and what did you think of it?
    The_Precious_Juice likes this.
  4. bombdefuzer

bombdefuzer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got the tall seat. It's marginally better than the low seat. I had it repadded within a month. In fact I repadded both seats as mine came with both seats. The problem you will not get rid of on the low seat is the pan. The pan is shorter in the front I believe. I will compare them side by side and take a photo. Even with a new padding it sucks. The tall seat is fair but keep in mind I got them repadded in Vietnam for a whopping 14$ each.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
  5. GreaseMonkey77

GreaseMonkey77 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Look at a Russell Day Long. They are tall seats that are very comfortable.
  6. rideforzen

rideforzen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here is the listed curb weight with abs. You can subtract 3 pounds for the smallest abs out.

Curb Weight
    385.9 lb**

Without ABS 382.9

No need to add 6 pounds to a light bike. They are under the 389 lb group.
  7. Aleeoop70

Aleeoop70 EX-MX Adv Tourist

Oddometer:
    Absolutely awesome!
  8. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    @SpudRider: I used the Tusk handwarmers.. they're $19 from Rocky Mountain ATV. I bought several sets of them a few years ago because I knew I'd eventually use them, and I did -- one set went on my Sprint, the other on the Versys. In the case of the Versys, all I used were the heating element. The rest of the wiring went in my parts box. I bought one of the FirstGear Heat Trollers for heated grips from Revzilla last week and wired it up last night. It's basically a knob (a rheostat) to adjust the temperature. The advantage is that it uses ONLY the amount of energy required. The stock wiring uses 40 watts no matter if you're on Low or High, and when you have a bike with a small stator like we do (or my DR650), you want all the free juice you can get. I have one of those on my DR too.

Meanwhile, the Karoo 3 tires for the VX will be here today! I'll mount them on Saturday, and if I get enough done, I'll go ride on Sunday and try 'em out. This is my last weekend before my Death Valley trip.
    Spud Rider likes this.
  9. jgiacobbe

jgiacobbe Long timer

Oddometer:
    My Tusk Dflex handguards and shorty levers arrived yesterday. New tires will be here tomorrow. It is supposed to be cold and wet the rest of the week so I guess I need to go tinker in the garage.
    Spud Rider likes this.
  10. rideforzen

rideforzen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just a flashback here. My best friend rode one of these when I was in the 10th grade. I had a 125 Dual-sport. He would let me ride it, and I thought it had desent power but I didn't weigh much either. At 16 I purchased a Nighthawk S 700 , um 80hp, and would drag race on the weekends, unsanctioned, and even won some money with it. Anyway I bet most forgot about the GPZ305.

Z350GP watermarked-1.jpg

They have come a long way with the Xs motor.
    59DEN likes this.
  11. rockt

rockt Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's a great looking bike. Look at all the space around the engine and the lack of hoses and wiring. I miss that.
    flexiflyer and rideforzen like this.
  12. rockt

rockt Long timer

Oddometer:

I bought one of the FirstGear Heat Trollers for heated grips from Revzilla last week and wired it up last night. It's basically a knob (a rheostat) to adjust the temperature.

Where did you mount it? Is it possible to post a pic or 2?
  13. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    @roct: It's not mounted yet; I will post a pic once I do. I need to drill a couple of small holes in the plastic to mount it.. one for the knob, one for the light. I think it's gonna go in the black plastic that runs up and around the gauge area. I plan to mount the switch for my LED lights around that area too.

That reminds me.. I need to decide on the best way to disable the ABS so I can build a cable and install a switch for that as well.
  14. jgiacobbe

jgiacobbe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same question. I have an older Heattroller for handgrips that I pulled from an old bike I used to own. Knob is on a wire and has a little LED. Wondering where people are putting the knob as there is not much real estate.
  15. twaldron

twaldron Dudeman

Oddometer:
    I have the 550 version. Rode it to storage to start an Early Bronco project and it hasn't been run since. It will take some time to get it back in shape. I don't remember the 305 in the States at all, but I'm sure I would have largely ignored it at the time.
    rideforzen likes this.
  16. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the California Scientific. I love it for spring and fall when the temps are lower. We had a really warm summer this year so there was about a month in mid-summer that I reverted to the stock windshield.

It's also way quieter behind it.

I posted some pics of it back aways.

I also have one on my BMW F650GS twin. Have had that one for 7 years and wouldn't trade it for anything.

...ken...
  17. Ken in Regina

Oddometer:
    That's because he's got the grey panels off my green one and I've got the black panels off his grey one. Double whammy in the speed assistance department.

...ken...
    Howsbentley and Jthewood like this.
  18. rideforzen

rideforzen Long timer

Oddometer:
    There was one in Lewiston Idaho. Then they made a cruiser with the motor as well I believe. Found it. His had a belt drive as well.

s-l225.jpg
  19. Ken in Regina

Oddometer:
    I had three of the GPz550's -- two 1981's and an '82. Up until my VX300 they were probably the favorites of all the bikes I've had over the years.

...ken...
  20. rideforzen

rideforzen Long timer

Oddometer:
    The specs on the old 305 aren't too bad.

1983+Kawasaki+gpz305+05.jpg