1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Kawasaki Versys-X 300

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by shyam334, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Count me in with the 15T front sprocket crowd, for all the reasons stated. That's what I did and I can't think of any reason I would reconsider.

...ken...
    cyclopathic likes this.
  2. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bullwinkle and I both did the 15T front sprocket with no issues of any sort. If I recall, the problem you describe might only happen if you change both front and rear sprockets??

...ken...
    ag_streak likes this.
  3. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    Guess we'll have to call you guys the Three Sprocketeers. Or something like that.
    rideforzen likes this.
  4. Skooter

Skooter moto-slowpoke

Oddometer:
    See also: Pics of your bike at a Gas Station in the photos section.
    IMG_5841 (1).jpg
    BigCanoe, RedEX, PaD and 1 other person like this.
  5. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    How much is the gas there?
  6. Skooter

Skooter moto-slowpoke

Oddometer:
    Thanks to the 4.5 gal tank on my trusty Versys-X300 I didn't even have to look. :lol3
    rideforzen likes this.
  7. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    You loose but only in 1st and 6th gear in the middle you get used to different shift points and it will be same.
  8. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    Okay, now...V300 owners.

Give us some sum-ups of ownership.

Gas mileage?

Ability on the open road?

Trail performance?

Suitable at all as a touring bike?

These are not idle questions for me. I'm considering one.
  9. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    @CaseyJones Okay.. in short, I love it! I don't have enough miles on yet for definitive mileage, but it appears to be in the mid 50's. It's fine on the open road.. nice and smooth at speeds up to 85 mph (and beyond, though I hear top end is 95). Doesn't feel buzzy or stressed at all. For a 300, acceleration is respectable.

On trails, it's outstanding especially once you put decent tires on it like I did last week. Initially, the suspension is VERY stiff but now with 500 miles, mine is softening up. This may be the first Japanese bike I've ever known that wasn't undersprung from the factory.

As long as you aren't going to try to be in a hurry to get anywhere, where you'd appreciate the extra power for maneuvering through traffic, it's a fantastic bike.

I'm looking forward to doing a LOT of local touring on mine especially once I get some racks and cases for it.
    7thson, ag_streak and CaseyJones like this.
  10. jgiacobbe

jgiacobbe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the pictures and comments on fitment. Fitted a set this evening and was getting pretty irked with fitment until I went back and looked at your photos and comments about routing and rotating the brake line fitting.
    :super
    Spud Rider likes this.
  11. CaseyJones

Oddometer:
    That fits with my other impressions of modern Kawasaki...thirty years ago, I had, briefly, a two-stroke triple. That was the series that used rubber bands as a frame. FRIGHTENING.

I ignored Kawasaki since. But my impression in the last year is, they've really focused on suspensions since. The Ninjas are legend; the Zs have a following.

So I can believe the over-sprung 300 suspension.
  12. CaseyJones

Oddometer:
    ...my GL500 Honda gets about 45-50 mpg, with a carb - and buzzes a bit with no balance shafts. Top speed 93.

Modern FI adds a lot to an engine. So mid-fifties MPG, and 95 mph top end, is no loss.

I'll miss the shaft drive, though...
  13. rideforzen

rideforzen Long timer

Oddometer:

I have a little over 1k miles and it has been a lot of fun. The light weight makes it super easy to manuver and handle on the back roads. It loves the Twisties, has a super light clutch pull, and has a low first gear and it likes to Rev. The harder I ride mine the happier it seems. The suspension is a nice compromise leaning towards street handling but not bad off the pavement. It's of the few bikes I've owned that has exceeded my expectations. At any price. Getting over 60 mpg most of the time. If you can handle 7-9k rpm on the hwy it's no problem for this little gem.

Cool 500 Casey ! I like those. But never rode one.

If you have realistic expectations for a 300 you won't be disappointed.
  14. Skooter

Skooter moto-slowpoke

Oddometer:
    I've always enjoyed small displacement bikes and feel the ability to tour with them is more a factor of the rider than the machine. You'd better be up to it, because rest assured (actually, you'll NOT rest) even the least of 'em can go longer than you can and wear you out like a cheap treadmill. I've owned a Rebel 250, KLX250S, CB360, and a TW200. Certainly, you can tour on any of them if you have the right mindset, preparation, and approach the whole thing differently than if you rode your Gold Wing.

The shocking thing about the VX300 is how smooth and vibration free it is. There's virtually zero mechanical noise at highway speeds. The wind is far louder than the engine, which is not to say it's any more prone to turbulence than my Ninja 650 was, because it's not. And the Ninja was slippery smooth, at least compared to everything else I've owned. The VX300 is sooo good. I don't feel I've given up any tourablity ditching the Ninja 650. The VX just doesn't punish you the way most small displacement bikes do.

As for the hard seat, take it from a skinny-butt white boy...it's a non issue. Based on all the negative comments, I'm surprised to have either gotten used to it, or it's finally breaking in after 900 miles, or the rest of you guys don't know what the heck you're talking about. The seat's fine. I'd actually dug my old sheepskin out of the closet because of all the comments but never had to ride with it.
    rideforzen likes this.
  15. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're welcome. :beer

Please let us know if you notice more vibration in the handlebars after removing the handlebar weights. This engine is very much smoother than my thumpers, so I haven't noticed any problems, myself. :thumb
  16. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here is a nice video review which is pretty accurate, and will hopefully, answer some of your questions. I have ridden my VX-300 about 2,500 miles, and I am very happy with my purchase.

Moat, ag_streak and rideforzen like this.
  17. Howsbentley

Howsbentley Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the review, but I’m perplexed. You said something like it’s fantastic as long as you are not in a hurry and want to maneuver through traffic, where you would appreciate extra power. What does that mean? Extra power for what exactly? Don’t intend to be coming at you, just wondering if I’m doing it wrong (maneuvering through traffic) on a much less powered ride? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  18. Skooter

Skooter moto-slowpoke

Oddometer:
    Rob can speak for himself, but what it means to me is that you cannot rely on massive gobs of horsepower/torque to get yourself out of dangerous situations that you probably shouldn’t let yourself get into regardless of how big your engine is.

Howsbentley likes this.
  19. Howsbentley

Howsbentley Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Scooter, so with VX3,less HP torque, one would down shift, raise rpm to get throttle response that would be available on more powerful engines without downshifting? I agree with you, if half second of action means I’ll be smashed, then I’ve put myself in a tough spot.

All the talk of underpowered is relative to what one is accustomed to. I ride a turd slow but ice cream fun TW200 and am saving $ for a VX3. I’m sure it will feel like a rocket to me. Thanks for the explanation. You rock!

tomash-dbm likes this.
  20. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    Yep, @Skooter got it right. It's not a traffic bike by any means (I wouldn't commute on it unless it was my only remaining bike choice -- I'd commute on it before I'd take my car, though, because Carpool Lane :) ).

@Howsbentley Yep the VX300 will feel quite fast compared to the TW! I can say that because I had a TW. And thing is, that was a fun little bike. Unlike my KLX250S before it, the TW actually usable TORQUE. The KLX was a gutless POS. If it wasn't for pretty much NO tire choice, I'd get another TW one day -- all you get are the stock semi-knobbies or a highway-type tire, that's it (for the rear anyway). A bit more choice up front, but no point without a good back tire.

But yeah, the VX doesn't have point-n-shoot power like my Tiger 800XC (95hp) or my Sprint ST (118 hp). Or, heck, even my DR650 (45 hp). Still, it's a FUN bike!
    Howsbentley likes this.