Kawasaki Versys-X 300

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by shyam334, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Requiem84

Requiem84 Riding around the world @gravelforbreakfast.com

Oddometer:
    What would be the benefits of this bike over the G310GS?
  2. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Price? Reliability? Practicality? All above?
    kojack and x32792 like this.
  3. John Ashman

John Ashman Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Wire rims, twin cylinders, better protection?
    Race Ready, kojack and eakins like this.
  4. Requiem84

Oddometer:
    I understand the G310GS will cost about EUR 5899 in the Netherlands (which is very low - a BMW 1200GS is about EUR 18.000 here).

I think reliability is undecided yet, especially since the 310 engine is so new, there is little practical experience regarding the reliability. Practicality, what do you mean with that?
  5. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    If the G310GS were to be a true dual sport, I'd really be up for that. 325lbs, wire rims, decent suspension. But it isn't. It's heavier and more street oriented. And a 300cc single doesn't cut it on a 75mph highway.
    MtnRubi and eakins like this.
  6. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bummer is made in China and Kwak assembled in Thailand, but at least Kwak had been done that way for 30+ years and engines are still made in Japan.
    eakins likes this.
  7. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its not a BMW.
    rlkat and I.P. Freely like this.
  8. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I'd love for Kawi to offer a ADV-R version of this bike with proper USD suspension & yes the same formula with the 650. Suzuki did not do it with the 650XT. The inline 1000 cyl, not really an ADV motor.

Yes Kawi sure did come from left field here.
  9. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Big thing is the motor is a compact twin so It's going to work better (smoother) on the paved/highway sections vs the BMW thumper all while the low weight and spoke wheels (BMW is cast) will allow it travel dirt roads all day long.

Yes it needs protection asap and some suspension mods but it's the best 50/50 we've seen so far. There are others that do better in the dirt or the paved but this package is a true world traveling bike! Thing bike would rock for BDRs...much better than heavier beasts.
  10. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    The_Precious_Juice likes this.
  11. Requiem84

Oddometer:
    Good information, thank you.

So, the Kawa has the spoked wheels and benefit of the twin engine.

I wouldn't be surprised if the BMW would become available with spoked wheels too. Engine obviously will not change. Power output wise they are both quite similar (also weight wise - both 170 kg). So then it becomes a matter of testing how both bikes behave on highway speeds (70-80 mph).

On the reports of the G310R test rides, it was mentioned quite clearly that there we no discerneble vibrations though.

I'm not arguing here that the BMW is better, I'm just a potential customer who wants to buy an adventure bike next year... if the Kawa is clearly the better option, I will buy the Kawa :D.
  12. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Looks like it has attachment points left & right for those plastic lowers so that is a starting point for a proper skid plate.

The upper section of the headers really come out far (for header length) so it looks like a skid plate would need to wrap around just below that point.

Because of those protruding headers, not sure if a skid plate can upper front attach to cross bars from a crash bar like on other bike...but who knows the aftermarket is innovative.

Then a small fender lift and extender would do wonders then and maybe some add on pipe guard protection pieces to that upper exposed header area.

I expect several companies to create crash bars. Actually a full wrap Rumbux system with integrated skid plate would work nicely too.

Since the exhaust is low tight fighting & width side boxes are possible or soft solutions for a narrow profile.
  13. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    You are right BMW will do a spoke version at some point. I expect many versions and hope Kawi and the other 3 Japanese do the same.

No surprise on the BMW engine being smooth. It is small either way and probably counterbalanced well.

In the end do you to own a Chinese built BMW or a Japanese/Thai build machine from a Japanese company? People have strong feelings about this and I suspect you'll find a strong Japanese machine preference in these circles. Ask the same in ? In the 310 thread too!
  14. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    If it is made in Thailand, that will make it stupidly expensive in Mexico. For some reason, these two have a crap trade relationship. The BMW, however, is now going to be built in Brazil, which will make it very inexpensive here. (relatively)
  15. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I just called and said I like to see this in the US. Please do the same!
    The_Precious_Juice likes this.
  16. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    You already said that the Mexican importer for Kawi jacks them up very high.
    ...just buy a used 660 Tenere dude as you can Mexico in while NONE of us here in the US have that option! You're squandering your potentiality man.
  17. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am more concerned about engine if anything. How reliable Chinese built bmw thumper will be?

With respect to Kwak the old ex250-f had labeled as made in Thailand.
  18. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    The china built BMW engines are OK, I have had 2.
    Its the rest of the bike and BMW's penchant for beta testing with the production/consumer versions that I would fear more.
  19. mattebox

mattebox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I made an overlay of the G310GS and Versys-X 300. Both have 19/17 wheels so I tried to match the front rim. My observations:
    1. V-X 300 seems to have a slightly longer wheelbase (about 1.0" longer)
    2. V-X 300 has a slightly higher seat height
    3. Ground clearance is about the same, but the V-X 300's black plastic shroud dips down a little more
    4. Both bike's pegs are the same distance from the ground, but the V-X 300 peg is about 1" forward
    5. V-X 300's tank and handlebar is a lot more forward. The rider position seem more towards the front wheel, like a dirt bike.
    6. V-X 300's handlebar has a very high bend, leading to a much higher position. This might make standing feel fine and risers are not necessary.
    7. V-X 300's windscreen is a lot taller and is angled more towards vertical. This vertical orientation seems more common now, as seen on the Africa Twin, the T7 Concept and the 2016 CB500X.
    8. V-X 300's pillion seat is much higher than the rider's seat
    9. V-X 300's tail is too high and really angles upward. I wish it was lower and more horizontal to keep the cargo CG lower and so panniers are level (I personally dislike angled panniers). But maybe Kawasaki had to do this to have the panniers clear the exhaust.
    G310GS-VX300.jpg

The two reference images:

G310GS-VX300-No.jpg
    WDG, John Clay, ridenm and 3 others like this.
  20. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Kwak is mostly built from proven bin parts, so If there're problems they're unlikely to be major.
    eakins likes this.