1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Kawasaki Versys-X 300

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by shyam334, Nov 8, 2016.

1. rideforzen

rideforzen Long timer

Oddometer:
    I ran mine up to 10k RPM on the logging roads and when I stopped and looked back I realized how much damage I was doing.

IMG_1538.JPG
    Joking.
    BigCanoe, Jthewood, Gramp-Z and 8 others like this.
  2. whisperquiet

whisperquiet Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    62298 in lovely corrupt/bankrupt Southern Illinois
    Your timing is just a bit off.....it is 12-01, not 04-01.
  3. Skooter

Skooter moto-slowpoke

Oddometer:
    Your dirty secret is out...no spark arrestor :D
    rideforzen likes this.
  4. firstshadow

firstshadow Urban Warrior

Oddometer:
    The GPR slip in from Italy came in today, within the same week I ordered it - thank you DHL :bow

So the hardware came in one bag and the slip on came in a smaller bag. Fit and finish looks fantastic, I can't argue with it for the price - $80 less than a TwoBrothers or Yoshimura slip on, and significantly less than the Akra! I got it on Amazon.

20171201_162518.jpg

20171201_162639.jpg

20171201_162832.jpg

20171201_162730.jpg

I'll follow up after the install, hopefully tomorrow.
  5. Skooter

Skooter moto-slowpoke

Oddometer:
    As they say on the internets...audio/video or it didn't happen :-)
  6. rideforzen

rideforzen Long timer

Oddometer:
    I usually avoid the break-in and engine oil talk. But after a little over 1500 miles, doing the first change at 400 and then running it progressively harder on top, I decided to go full synthetic. It's the Mobile One 10-40 racing stuff at 10 bucks a quart to be specific. I would usually use Valvoline or Castrol standard motorcycle oil and never had problems. Anyways, the pure synthetic really did make it shift smoother and less mechanical noise, espesially valve lash. She's always been a little tappy and that doesn't bother me " a tappy valve is a happy valve " is how I was raised. But it sure did quiet down after the oil change. And running it between 7-9k RPM today for a few hours I know it's well protected. I've had it over 80 mph.... In 5th gear. lol.
    twaldron likes this.
  7. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    I would like to thank UPS for managing to NOT deliver my Seat Concepts seat today. In fact, they have NO IDEA when it will be delivered, and nobody at UPS knows either. WTF. I have had more trouble getting packages delivered since moving to Oregon than the entire rest of my life combined.

I had another package due here today via USPS with parts for my car, and it too isn't here either. Sigh.
  8. PaD

PaD Serial beginner

Oddometer:
    Envy, one of the seven deadly sins.
    I can honestly say that I rarely envy someone’s success or wealth or abilities. What I do envy is the determination you find with people who succeed in doing something. I’ve had several interests and hobbies but never had the determination to try to take things to the top so to speak even if I’ve done a lot of fun stuff. Travelling e.g.

But I think it’s envy I feel when I read post from inmates who have been out riding. Perhaps it’s loss. My bike is in winter storage and I so much long to get out and rev that little engine. It ran so nice and smooth the last day I rode it to leave it for storage.
    In a way I feel that it’s a good thing (and maybe rare today) to long for things and I am lucky to have my own Versys-X. However, I don’t feel any need for winter this year, just bring me April please :-)
    Keep your riding reports coming, I like them. They’re food for one thing I’m really good at, namely daydreaming:D
  9. dirtdreamer50

dirtdreamer50 long time rider

Oddometer:
    We all have our little peccadillos in life... Why not winter in Spain or Italy. Then you could ride all year, like we do in Texas. Enjoy the skiing, snowboarding, or snowmobiling , or other winter sport(s). tp dd50
    PaD likes this.
  10. PaD

PaD Serial beginner

Oddometer:
    Hmm...
    Need to check if there are any VX300s for rent in southern Europe. (and try to remember that new word ’peccadillo’ I just learned)
  11. Skooter

Skooter moto-slowpoke

Oddometer:
    Not for a minute will I ever take living in Arizona for granted. So for all my northern friends, a couple pics from today's ride on old Route 66. :beer
    IMG_7763.JPG IMG_7771.JPG
    7thson, ag_streak, Grainbelt and 5 others like this.
  12. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Skooter, you SUCK! But in a really good way! :)

Enjoy and keep 'em coming.

...ken...
    Skooter likes this.
  13. dirtdreamer50

dirtdreamer50 long time rider

Oddometer:
    Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy... Similar riding conditions are only 600 miles away from me. I do miss the woods and wilderness of my younger days. tp dd50
  14. rockt

rockt Long timer

Oddometer:

It's gonna leak, your clutch will slip... your hair will fall out! Synthetic oil! My God, man, are you crazy!?!:lol2

Just kiddin', of course. Good call.
    7thson, Spud Rider and rideforzen like this.
  15. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm not arguing against synthetic oil if someone can't think of a better way to spend their money. Aside from my hair falling out.... oh yeah, that's probably more to do with my age. :)

But seriously, I don't get it. If the manufacturer figures the recommended conventional oil will get the job done I don't understand why I would spend more - significantly more - on synthetic. I've never used it in any engine I've ever owned - car, truck, or motorcycle. I've always used the oil the manufacturer recommends and I've never had an oil related problem in hundreds of thousands of miles. Ever.

I'm not saying not to or looking to start yet another debate about it. Just tossing in my personal experience for the collective knowledge base. If you're happy with it and your hair's not falling out, go for it!

...ken...
  16. rideforzen

rideforzen Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was $12 dollars more for 3 quarts of synthetic. Most my bikes got standard oil before with a few exceptions. And I wouldn't have mentioned it if I didn't notice a difference in shifting and engine noise. And not saying it's better or worse just an observation that will keep me using it on this bike. I came real close to returning it but glad I tried it. Ymmv
  17. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    having sent several synthetic and conventional (and semi) oil samples into the lab for testing i noticed a very direct trend. the synthetic oil lasted longer, and by a large amount too.

it was important to note my cars manual said oil change interval of 16,000km (or 1 year) and the conventional oil after 16,000km still had some life left in it (20k was the chem labs recommendation). while the semi had a 26,000km recommended life. but most impressive was the full synthetic was not even 50% worn out, the chem lab gave me a recommended interval of 35,000km!!!

now mind you this car was fairly new, as im sure the older the motor gets to more wear u will see. and since i only drive 20k a year i simply change oil once a year, 20k nice and easy to remember.
    rhapsody01 and rideforzen like this.
  18. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    as for the versys,
    manual states 12,000km with conventional oil. depending on the chem labs results we might do 20,000km with full synthetic, or 15,000km. both are very easy to remember too.

however once i shave the oil pan down to get more ground clearance, oil capacity will be reduced by about 0.5L so it would probably be more beneficial to do 15,000km.
    again, fully dependent of the chem lab results.
  19. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    I'm a fan of synthetic especially on my DR650 which is air-cooled. I also have found better mpg both in cars and bikes by using it. An interesting anecdote: I bought my 2008 WRX new in May of 2008. It was getting a pretty good upper 20 to very low 30 mpg on trips from the Bay Area to Reno and back. At 1000 miles I decided to do an oil change and went to dino oil, figuring it was better for break-in. MPG immediately dropped about 5 mpg across the board. The next weekend back to Reno, I swapped back to Mobil 1 and MPG returned to normal, and stayed there for as long as I had the car. By 60k miles, it had started burning almost a quart per oil change, but I figured that was related to my mods and running 21 psi of boost for probably 50 of those 60k miles (stock was around 16 as I recall). :)
  20. FrankF

FrankF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The OTD price will be right about $6k. I priced two places in Nor Cal that were advertizing close to that price. They just up the Dealers Prep to make up the difference. I went to my local dealer in NW Nevada and his quote was $6,100 OTD w/ABS.