1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Kawasaki Versys-X 300

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by shyam334, Nov 8, 2016.

1. rockt

rockt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Go in a couple of days before the end of the year and make them an aggressive offer. Bet they'll be motivated to sell before year end.
  2. rideforzen

rideforzen Long timer

Oddometer:
    From my experience the end of the months ,especially around Oct on ,they want space for the new models and sales numbers to add in for the month. I worked sales at Harley for a year and a half, after no longer being able to do metal fab work. They can also increase the approved credit percentage and skim off each payment. That one really bothered me. And like said above make an offer, but try to make it to the supervisor or manager. The salesmen hate it but you can save money.
  3. firstshadow

firstshadow Urban Warrior

Oddometer:
    Got the slip on, on.

Took a little of trial and error since there weren't any instructions included. I read somewhere on the GPR site to reuse the OEM gasket, but it turns out you don't even need it - there isn't space to fit it. I only realized this after butchering it and running to a couple dealers looking for a replacement, but nobody stocks it.

For the install, I used pics from GPR for reference.

Here's all the hardware included:

20171202_110723.jpg

That baffle sitting there goes in the front end of the slip on, and there was already another installed at the rear with a circlip. I used both the first time and it sounded similar to stock sound levels - I ended up taking the front one out and it has a little more volume now.

The pipe above the baffle slips into the slip on, and over the connecting pipe. The springs attach from the pipe to the slip on, pulling them together.

20171202_112045.jpg

Heres the OEM setup. These 2 clamps will need to be loosened, and the bolt that holds the muffler bracket to the rear peg mount removed. I tried removing the heat shield first, but was unable to do so after removing that Allen bolt - you don't need to bother with it.

20171202_112526.jpg

Once you get the 2 clamps loosened and out of the way, and the top bolt out, you can wiggle the muffler back and forth and pull it off. I did a little cleaning with the muffler out of the way while I was at it.

20171202_134145.jpg

Fit everything loosely and then arrange it until you get the desired fitment. Voila. They give 2 different length Allen bolts for the supporting bracket, so there will be a leftover bolt, washer, and nut at the end. All connections weren't leaking exhaust, but I felt a little bit escaping at the front end of the canister where it joins the machined end, next to the rivets.

Sound clip will be up tomorrow.
    ag_streak, Spud Rider and rideforzen like this.
  4. Deadlyapollo

Deadlyapollo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got mine at midsouthmotosport in Clarksville TN for $5300 otd all paperwork, tags etc included. Course I didn't bother with the silly ABS model.

Also for oil, Shell Rotella T6 can't be beat ^_^
    bombdefuzer likes this.
  5. dirtdreamer50

dirtdreamer50 long time rider

Oddometer:
    I was offered same price OTD in Houston, but had to pass. Still may go back, but the new Z900RS is really calling my name, but at twice the price though. :( tp dd50
    bombdefuzer likes this.
  6. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    Here it is nearly 9 pm on Saturday and I'm STILL waiting on UPS. Tracking says the seat is due today, but sure isn't looking like it. Tomorrow, the rear shock comes off to go to Cogent, so the bike will be unrideable for approximately three weeks. I'm gonna be pissed if I don't get at least a brief ride on it with the new seat.

I'm pissed at all the carriers, in fact. USPS' own tracking system is pathetic. It keeps saying stuff will be here on a certain day and then it doesn't show for 2-3 more days. Or it'll even show Delivered and it shows 2-3 days later. Fedex is almost as bad; they consistently are unable to find where I live despite it not being at all difficult. I had to pick up an order of tires from their warehouse because two times they were unable to figure out where I live. WTF.
  7. dubtruker

dubtruker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok! I have been following this post from the beginning. I really want one of these bikes, but have a cb500x already that I had planned to do a Rally Raid conversion on until this bike came along. I have had a BMW f650GS twin before, tried the Versys 650 and now on the CB, I keep looking for something lighter and less top heavy to do small week long tours of secondary roads and service/logging roads along the Pacific Coast. My question is if anyone has owned or does own a cb500x and now owns a Versys 300x, am I going to miss the small amount of extra power the CB has? Keep in mind I barely ever ride interstate unless I have to.
  8. dirtdreamer50

dirtdreamer50 long time rider

Oddometer:
    Bought the 500X over the VX300, because there aren't roads like you will ride around here. Still want a VX TOO though, just because..... Spent a few decades on smaller cc bikes chasing dirt, and if the 300 is better than the KLX250S Kawi built, it should suit the back roads well. Just wondering when the V400X will come out. The Ninja 400 is a reality already. tp dd50
  9. bombdefuzer

bombdefuzer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thailand gets a camo version.[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
    11motos likes this.
  10. bombdefuzer

Oddometer:
    I used Shell Rotella in my KTM dirtbikes for years. No issues at all.

rideforzen likes this.
  11. bombdefuzer

Oddometer:
    The new Z900RS is a beauty.

12. PaD

PaD Serial beginner

Oddometer:
    Where is it? I can’t see it. :dunno

:D
    11motos and bombdefuzer like this.
  13. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    started the mods on my wife's 300x. gonna make a build thread soon!

just a few thoughts of mine first tho.

the suspension is surprisingly good for such a cheap bike, after a closer look u can see the front fork has a larger bottom section, so looks like Kawasaki did their homework. sure suspension is non adjustable but for a 175lb guy like me it seems to be firm but compliant, not over dampened and smooth throughout its stroke, both front and rear. also surprisingly good bottoming resistance for only ~5.5" of travel. took it out for its break in over abunch of off road/ off-pavement and the bike was very compliant, especially considering its only got ~5.5" of travel.

however, here lies the first issue,
    altho the bike is plenty good for 175lb guy, my wife is 105lb wet as a noodle, and the front suspension only compresses 10% with her on it (30% with me on it), while the rear doesn't even move, maybe 5% with her, 20% with me. the pre-load is set to the middle setting, after moving it to its lowest setting the bike sags 15% with her on it. the front is non-adjustable tho so i may have to do some spring swap, or perhaps cut the spring down abit..

i noticed the lowest part of the bike is the front of the bike which has about 8" of ground clearance (kawi claims 7"), sounds like the bike is sprung for a 200-220lb person cuz at 175lb im getting 8".

lastly, the turning circle is unbelievable lol.
    like i could make 2 full turns withing a small suburban street. good job kawasaki:thumb
    Dracer35 likes this.
  14. Dracer35

Dracer35 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You should go ahead and start the first post of that thread so I can watch it and wait for updates. I'm curious to see what you do with the bike. My wife is currently riding her 2014 klx250s that we did the usual lowering techniques to get the seat height down to roughly 31~32 inches for her. She loves it to death but I'm keeping and eye on the vx-300 thinking she might want to try something a little different one of these days. :beer
  15. dubtruker

dubtruker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah I would pick the versys over the cb500x as well, but I already have the cb500x, so was wondering if anyone has gone from the cb500x to the versys300x yet.
  16. ex_MGB

ex_MGB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hmmm...Bush Ninja morphing into Stealth Ninja. Maybe it should have been Stealth Ninja all along...
    bombdefuzer likes this.
  17. PaD

PaD Serial beginner

Oddometer:
    With the exception of that nice young couple in New Zealand I get the impression that a majority of the buyers are showing quite a few annual rings ( and quite a few real experience) I think Adult Ninja could be appropriate.
    Don’t forget, it is X- rated :-)
    7thson, Bullwinkle and ex_MGB like this.
  18. Trobs

Trobs n00b

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know if the brake pads for this bike are shared with any other bikes (eg. the ninja 300?). I'm in Indonesia and have completely worn through my front pads and even though they sell this bike over here, none of the dealers seem to keep pads in stock. I've got someone coming over from the UK in a few days who could bring some over but I can't find any speific versys 300 pads on ebay/amazon.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
  19. rockt

rockt Long timer

Oddometer:

Not 100% sure, but I thought a couple of guys awhile back bought some fork caps with adjustable preload. Unless I'm thinking of another bike, I seem to recall that the they went with the middle setting, which softened things somewhat. If I'm right about this (someone chime in, please) the softest setting may work for your wife, so that might be an option. For the rear, at minimum, you're going to have to fit a softer spring but I don't know if such a thing is available. Maybe the Asian market 250 version uses a softer set-up? If so, you might be able to source a spring there.
  20. firstshadow

firstshadow Urban Warrior

Oddometer:
    For some perspective, heres what I've had to date in chronological order: 2014 CB500F, 2014 Triumph Street Triple R, 2015 Yamaha Smax scooter (which I still have), 2000 Honda XR200R plated dirtbike, and now the VX.

I rank the CB at the bottom of my list, it served its job as a first bike, but it was an appliance - the VX, on the other hand, is much more entertaining for me. I'll probably ride it into the ground with the scooter :D

Check the part numbers between the ninja 300 pads and versys 300 pads, I wouldn't doubt that they use the same ones.
    ag_streak likes this.