1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Kawasaki Versys-X 300

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by shyam334, Nov 8, 2016.

1. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    I like the camo pattern. Pretty cool!
    bombdefuzer likes this.
  2. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    These Italian brake pads will fit the front brake caliper of the Versys-X 300. They are Ferodo FDB570EF pads.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KAWASAKI-V...ash=item3add60197b:g:MCIAAOSwdGFYz9u7&vxp=mtr

[​IMG]

The Ferodo FDB570EF pads also might be equivalent to the EBC FA142 brake pads, which fit a variety of motorcycles.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EBC-Replac...ash=item2a5b816d6e:g:v5QAAOSwo6lWO~T7&vxp=mtr

[​IMG]

If possible, compare your brake pads with the front brake pads from the 2017 Kawasaki Versys 650. I can't guarantee these brake pads will fit the front brake of the Versys-X 300, but they also appear as if they might fit.
  3. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Versys-X 300 also seems to share the rear brake pads with the following motorcycles.

2015 Kawasaki Ninja 250
    2017 Kawasaki Ninja 300
    2008-2017 Kawasaki KLR 650 (2nd Generation)
  4. David JM

David JM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I switched from metric cruisers to Adventure Bikes about 10 years ago. I started with a V-Strom 650 ( it was big), went to a Verses 650 (it was tall), then to the CB 500X (it was small), and now I have a Verses 300 and it's just the right size.
    When I got the Honda I really missed the acceleration of the Verses 650, but liked everything else. Now the only thing I miss about the CB is the 70 plus miles per US gallon that I got. The CB does have a little more tork, but the super smooth high reving Verses engine gives you a way better ride.
    I added the extra tooth on the front sprocket, this makes the Verses gearing just a little lower than the Ninja 300's, and it smooths out the shifting in the lower gears, and allows you to cruise at 80 with ease in sixth gear.
    First gears will now rev up to 30 mph. easily, second to 45, third to 65, fourth to 75 and fifth to 85 mph. Don't be afraid to rev this motor, it needs to be reved. Just like on the Honda, fourth and fifth are for curves and passing, and third is for acceleration. You can cruise the back roads at 70 in fifth easily or you can just kick back and cruise it nice and easy.
    I now have 3000 miles on the Verses, I am 5' 9" and weigh 215 lbs. This bike works for me.
    I took the Verses to Priest Lake in northern Idaho at the end of October for a 900 mile overnight camping trip, it did good. I have done up to 950 miles in a day on the Honda and the Verses will do the same, it's just more fun, lighter, way better in the turns, better at dodging chuck holes in the gravel, smoother and more comfortable.
    I did add a throttle lock and throttle rocker, the Mad Dog seat pad (from Amazon) and a sheepskin cover over it (from Alaska Leather). The two seat covers raise the seat height by almost an inch, and I did trim the sheepskin cover so that it just covers the flat part of the seat, so that it wouldn't move me forward too much.
    dubtruker, rideforzen and Spud Rider like this.
  5. suhsjake

suhsjake n00b

Oddometer:
    Ditto to this above, started with a 2001 F650GS, then moved to the CB500x, and finally ended up with the VX300. I do not miss the power it has and it easily handles TX freeway speeds around San Antonio.
    dubtruker likes this.
  6. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    Behold, the stock rear shock! It's a little sucker. measures 12-1/2" from eye center to eye center, with it in the middle of the preload positions, which is how the bike came when I got it.

It's now wrapped in bubble wrap in a box ready to ship out to Cogent tomorrow. In an other box is my clutch cable to go to Barnett so they can make me a longer one.

I think I still have a couple of old rear shocks from Japanese sport bikes someplace... I bought them a few years ago when trying to find a suitable rear shock replacement for my TW200. If I can find them, I'm curious if either will fit. Both have external reservoirs built onto them so clearance may be a problem even if the length is good.

I figure I have about three weeks til the shock returns, so maybe during that time I'll find them and see. May then have to dig out my old KLX250S clutch cable and see if it'll fit.

Attached Files:

Spud Rider and Dracer35 like this.
  7. Dracer35

Dracer35 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really looking forward to hearing your before and after report when you get the suspension back.
  8. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    @Dracer35 Me too!! If it's anything like the one on my DR650, it'll be fantastic once I get it broken in and setup just the way I like it. I just hope they're able to make it both compression and rebound-adjustable at a reasonable price, but I have my doubts. I suspect it'll be rebound-only. If we can at east get compression close, it should still be good.

I'm especially curious to see what the stock spring rate is, and what other options may be available, particularly for larger folks or those who will carry a lot of gear on trips.
    Spud Rider and Dracer35 like this.
  9. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone put off road tires, or some kind of 50/50 dual sport tires on their versys 300 yet?

Pics?
  10. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    I put Metzeler Karoo 3's on mine a few weeks ago. Love 'em. Somebody else put Mitas E-07's on theirs, they like them as well.

Attached Files:

michaelkozera likes this.
  11. Dracer35

Dracer35 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tkc 80's on this one. And he has several other videos of him riding that are worth a watch. I believe the owner has posted in this thread before but I could be mistaken.

12. firstshadow

firstshadow Urban Warrior

Oddometer:
    Here's a short clip of the GPR slip on:

13. bombdefuzer

bombdefuzer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I put these Shinko's on at 10, 000 km / 6200 mi. I ride mainly the street but here in Vietnam it is now the rainy season and the roads are quite wet with many deep puddles, sand, mud and gravel. They work much better than stock. Since they are a bit taller, I gain the benefit of higher overall gearing. Sorta the same as putting a 15t counter sprocket on it. I like it.[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
  14. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:

so how much taller is ur bike sitting now?

150/70 should be pretty much exactly the same size (height wise) then the stock 130/80.

150 x 0.7= 105 while 130 x 0.8=104 (x2)= 2mm taller tire.........

however, im pretty sure the measurements given on the tire are the carcass size, they dont count the lugs, so are u saying that the shinko 705 has larger lugs that make the tire taller? judging by your photo they dont look much taller ( if any) then stock.
  15. bombdefuzer

bombdefuzer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Its definitely taller. And the RPM is lower in any gear. I got the 140/80 rear as opposed to the 150/70. The photo was sent to me by the tire dealer for the 150 as a reference for the tires in general as they didn't have a 140 in stock.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
  16. rockt

rockt Long timer

Oddometer:

Sounds good, but... any chance of doing a video of you riding it with the new pipe? A lot to ask, I know, but that's the best way to really hear it from the rider's perspective.
  17. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm much more interested in how it sounds from bystanders' perspective, both coming and especially going away. I noticed he was careful to avoid getting behind it in the video when the engine was running. Probably because he couldn't reach, but still... There was a section near the end that I thought was exactly what you would expect from the rider's perspective.

...ken...
  18. firstshadow

firstshadow Urban Warrior

Oddometer:
    ^ That's the manlet life :D

I'll try to get some fly bys this week, and during the day. Didn't want to leave my phone in the gutter :patch
  19. rockt

rockt Long timer

Oddometer:

Yeah, but you've already expressed your bias against aftermarket pipes in a previous post. Not trying to give you a hard time but some like a bit of extra sound when they ride. I hate loud pipes but this one doesn't seem loud, just deeper and just about any stock parallel twin can use a bit of extra character. That's why I asked to hear it from the rider's perspective.
    twaldron likes this.
  20. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Those Shinkos look nearly identical to the Metzeler Tourances on my F650GS. Love them! I don't have the same conditions to deal with as you do so I plan to wear out the stock tires. I'll keep those in mind when it's time.

...ken...
    bombdefuzer likes this.