Kawasaki Versys-X 300

Discussion in 'Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan' started by shyam334, Nov 8, 2016.

1. rideforzen

rideforzen Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are correct. All my Dual-sport or dirt bikes had spark arrestors. They are basically just a screen but don't get caught without one. I'm thinking they said forest service approved on them. That's a good point on a adventure bike or street bike ridden in dry conditions that could be a fire hazzard.
  2. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    I think normally forest personal and other officers are good folks but if the exhaust is DOT approved you don't need it but they might not know this and if one has a screen better to be an approved one.
    Never had an issue but heard some people got the ticket.
    anyway, just one consideration for folks who upgrade their pipes and like to spend time off road in the woods.

[​IMG]
    rideforzen likes this.
  3. 7thson

7thson "I went into the woods because...."

Oddometer:
    Ken, get yourself a Mercedes diesel and see what happens if'n you use non-synthetic.
  4. james bay klr

james bay klr olddog

Oddometer:
    My Versys first day 29 march By,by IRC after 3km

Attached Files:

bombdefuzer likes this.
  5. twaldron

twaldron Dudeman

Oddometer:
    I have the 705s on my Scrambler and so far, so good. No dirt, but I like the look for the Scrambler and they handle road duty very well.
    bombdefuzer likes this.
  6. twaldron

twaldron Dudeman

Oddometer:
    I got the exact feeling going from stock death wings to the 705s. Very quick turn in. It caught me by surprise. I attributed it to them being more rounded. I can get used to riding anything though.
  7. james bay klr

james bay klr olddog

Oddometer:
    12000km later still just love this full size bike, not my first. Rode Montreal to Vancouver, California,Texas,Louisianna, Florida, AND home to Montreal on a Yamaha 250 DS7 in 73 so you guys can guess that a 300 [modern] doesnt feel like a small bike to me. I sat on a 300x at Montreal Bike Show and just loved it, it fit me 5.10" perfect peg seat bar ratio. Bought it the Monday after. Everyone hates the seat, I love it, wait 3000k, I bought the 1" taller and fck had to wait again. Todays ride at 0 celcius the seat was hard again. I finally got to the last page on this thread last nite so I'll let you guys know how my year went on my 300x. I butchered the bar weights to get them out, Acerbis gards,removed the stock [heavy] pegs Pivot pegs from v650 bolt on,Battery Tender Lith battery,Conti Escape 70/30 tires, 15t front sprocket,Givi top case and side bags,universal mount to lower bags, FMF Q4 pipe [XR400] modified lower than stock,heated grips,12v outlet, electronic Deer whistle,homemade Hwy pegs, cruise control, pipe gard, and small windshield deflecter, side stand foot, LED headlite and driving lites. Oh ya changed the Doohicky LOL. Wind the piss out of her and she sings so sweet. I have had a few bikes in my time, this one is one of my favorit back road burners ever, but good on the slabs too,and great on gravel. I will keep my grey side panels to go with my SIK cool Green

Attached Files:

8. bombdefuzer

bombdefuzer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes that's exactly the same feeling I got. I almost put my foot down.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
    twaldron likes this.
  9. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    No photos yet, but I went ahead and disassembled the old seat, since my Seat Concepts one is finally here. I did a quick test-fit of the new foam and compared new to old. The new foam is heavier, and much softer. It's like a high quality memory foam. It's also a bit thicker, which shouldn't be an issue for us short folks since it'll compress a bit more easily. The seat area itself, where your butt checks rest, is sculpted a bit better, but otherwise the shape of the seat is identical to the original. It's no wider.

I need to find my spray adhesive, or buy a new can of it. More than likely I'll end up doing the latter. I'd like to get it glued on so it has a few days to set. There's also a plastic moisture barrier I need to glue on top of the foam (the stock foam has something similar) for washes and rains. Once that's all done, I can put the new cover on. That won't happen til this weekend, when I have a good surface to work on and daylight.
  10. twaldron

twaldron Dudeman

Oddometer:
    So can you use the original skin with the new foam?
  11. james bay klr

james bay klr olddog

Oddometer:
    Im on a roll more piks Ice Ice Baby

Attached Files:

rideforzen, Ronzo and cheapthrills like this.
  12. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    @twaldron: You might be able to, but given the new foam's thickness, it would be a tight fit if so. I wouldn't want to, having seen how nice the included cover is. I was very careful in removing my old cover and foam, since I bet at some point, somebody will have a torn seat and wish they could get a new OEM cover for way less than new. :)
    twaldron likes this.
  13. cheapthrills

cheapthrills CAN'T WAIT!

Oddometer:
    I also went with the tkc80's I've noticed the difference in the lean in cornering as you stated as well on road. I'm happy with the overall performance and even felt surprisingly planted on my last ride on loose gravel and rock at speeds around 50

Attached Files:

14. twaldron

twaldron Dudeman

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Looking forward to the pics and review!
  15. cheapthrills

cheapthrills CAN'T WAIT!

Oddometer:
    So far I'm still taking it easy on speeds to break motor in, but Both my wife and I been pulling around 60mpg. I ride bit more aggressive and we have ridden about 50/50 max of dirt and pavement. We are running tkc80 tires as well.
    My impression out of the gate is that it is well balanced, feels light, and seat height makes it easy on shorter riders. ( was a big determination given factor for wife's comfort). Power delivery is pretty good, you'll feel like your racing through gears during break in to keep rpms reasonable. In order to really utilize the power you'll need to feed the rpms. Offroad slow speed riding first gear is not as low as other dual sport class bikes, nice thing is that a twist on the throttle gets a predictable building acceleration not a torque filled burst so still very useable. The power delivery makes bike controlable for beginner riders, ( not breaking traction or pulling wheelies if you hit a bump and blip the throttle). I'll flat out say: not a dirt bike, if you want to race singletrack or generally rip sh@$ up there's better bikes for you! That being said I've run good speeds on dirt and gravel and the suspension handles constant "light" rough surfaces great I did hit one large abrupt surface and I felt it! On loose surface it will spin tires and dig/ rooster some dirt, I've kicked out rear intentionally and it's predictable.
    The seat will remind you it's not super comfy if you ride more than 75 miles in a sitting
    Clutch pull is featherlight
    Brakes feel more than adequate
    Fuel capacity is good for cc's
    Oem tail rack

Concerns?
    Skid plate / exhaust protection ( starting to see options)
    Fairing plastics of street bike design, so more chance of damage over time/ use. ( crash bars available)
    Stock tires weak if you plan to adventure offroad.
    Seat comfort, cushions pads and even seats available now

I'm happy with the selection, if your use would be primarily street and lighter offroad/ adventure it's definitely a contender in my opinion.

Attached Files:

cyclopathic and DavidM1 like this.
  16. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    Good input.

Problem is, I'm a big guy. I want something lighter; but able to do highway speeds; some touring.

The low seat keeps coming up; but according to Cycle-Ergos it's the best match for me. That's plugging in my inseam.

The Honda CB500X, the other one, and a machine I can probably find lightly used, is the worst, with handlebars too low. The BMW G310 GS is between them. Higher resale value, but a smaller tank and a thumper.

I may have to consider buckhorn bars on a Honda. Or, maybe, just make do with what I have...
  17. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    yeah,u guys in Saskatchewan, when it snows there....it snows! and it stays all winter lol.

every since all this global warmings happened the riding season in Calgary went from about 7 months a year to about about 10 months a year.......as having witnessed it first hand over the last 2 decades is hard to see why some people still dont believe its happening, just look out the window but thats a bit to cliche i guess.
  18. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:

having ridden my wifes versys 300x just now, and my friends versys 300x and my other friends cb500x back to back this summer over the course of a few hundred Km's 50/50 road/off-road, i can say with much confidence the versys 300x is the better machine in stock form.

the suspension is more compliant. v300 has spoked rims. the v300 engine, even tho has 175 less CC's feels peppier, and returns better fuel economy. both bikes have roughly identical top speeds and roughly same 0-100km/hr times. and most importantly the versys 300x weighs 45lb's less, thats huge IMO for a bike that preforms identically in every other regard.

however i mentioned "stock" . if you get the cb500x with the stage 3 rally raid kit then the cb500x is the better choice for sure. even considering the extra weight.

ive ridden on the 705's alot (2 sets already) and the shinnko 244's (on my 5th set)

if you do mainly road riding the 705 work great, very good turn in, alot of confidence in corners, and preform well in the rain too and off road. only down side to the 705's is they become abit unstable once they get worn more then 50% , however i got over 30,000km on my 705 rear while still having 25% of a tire left. so it will last long.

if you do more 50/50 the shinnko 244 also works very well, good feel in the corners, worked amazing in the rain, and off road totally amazed that a 50/50 tire can grip so well in the sand and mud. tire stayed stable through its entire 20,000km life on the rear of my CRF500L.

IMO the shinko 244 is the best 50/50 tire for the money. they give the most consistent feel and confidence throughout its lifespan, it preforms consistently on pretty much any surface including packed snow and ice, and traction stayed consistent also throughout its life. did i mention it was a very consistent tire? lol
    only down side it its abit noisy on the highway at times, nothing ear plugs cant fix. not loud but faintly audible.

got any more pics of the bike with those knobbies? like side views? front? thanks!
    rideforzen likes this.
  19. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    What is the difference between the Versys 300 and the Versys X 300?

The regular 300 didn't make it Stateside; but it would be nice to know if we're missing anything.
  20. firstshadow

firstshadow Urban Warrior

Oddometer:
    ^ the X, or rather, not typing the X every time.