Kawasaki Versys-X 300

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by shyam334, Nov 8, 2016.

1. AdrianC

AdrianC Am I there yet?

Oddometer:
    They don't all do that, but they all will be adding on the Kawasaki delivery fee ($360 IIRC) and a doc fee. I paid $5015 OTD in Ohio. Had an OTD quote from a dealer in Indianapolis for $48xx. Non-ABS. Kawasaki were chipping in a $500 discount to the dealer. I'd guess they still are.

To answer some speculation upthread, the non-ABS has an electronic speed sensor on the rear wheel that looks exactly the same as an ABS sensor. It doesn't have a speed sensor on the front wheel.
  2. Lesharoturbo

Lesharoturbo Nerdly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    They are the same. Some people just don't type the "X".
  3. rideforzen

rideforzen Long timer

Oddometer:

When I first saw the rear sensor I thought the gave me an abs model. I had to check the front to be sure. They must use it for speed or why else would it be there.
  4. Lesharoturbo

Lesharoturbo Nerdly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does it also have the ABS ring? Usually that is the case.

If that is the case, the tire size, diameter, can affect the speedometer error. A 5% larger tire will correct the error. A smaller tire will increase the error.
  5. rideforzen

rideforzen Long timer

Oddometer:

Yes on the rear only. On mine anyways.
  6. AdrianC

AdrianC Am I there yet?

Oddometer:
    Same here. I have to rev it pretty hard just around town. I don't want to sound like I'm racing everywhere.
    Ken in Regina and bombdefuzer like this.
  7. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    Agreed. I'm in a minority of the rider community - in that I APPRECIATE the modern noise standards. When I was a kid, I loved the sound of open pipes - car, bike, truck, tractor, lawnmower.

Not now. I've worked with machinery a lifetime, and that deafening-but-droning loud noise just sends me up the wall. Sadly, that's corresponding with sudden lax enforcement in noise standards - the Harley boys, sure, but now the Bro-Dozer jockeys and kids with fart-cans on their Toyota Corollas.

I cannot abide it. Give me some quiet...a good fairing, so I don't need earplugs, and I'm happy...
  8. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    Keep in mind that handlebar position is one of the most easily modified things on a bike. The first thing I did to my VX was stick a 2" riser on it. Huge improvement. In fact, I just ordered a longer clutch cable so I can go one more inch in rise. So when you use that ergo calculator, play around with the bar height settings.
  9. rideforzen

rideforzen Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like stealth as well and leave my vehicles stock. But around Portland cages don't watch for bikes very well, and i don't blame guys for wanting a bit of sound to go with a good visual. My bike has a nice growl from the air box when on the throttle but the exhaust is super quiet. And it could help with cages that pull out in front of me. It happens too often around here, espesially early in the biking season. I think it's the guys using straight pipes, removing baffles or illegal racing exhaust on the street are the annoying ones. You can get EPA compliant aftermarket exhaust that changes tone and keeps the db at legal limits. The Yoshi's street slip-ons always sounded good to my ears. Noise pollution does suck and one of the reasons I live out of town.
    Bullwinkle, Gustavo and bombdefuzer like this.
  10. lam@advf

lam@advf Yes, I am socially disabled

Oddometer:
    Air horns. I like 'em. That way my exhaust can be quiet since I can make a lotta noise just when I need it.
    CaseyJones and Ken in Regina like this.
  11. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I ran through a set of Conti TKC80s on my F650GS a few years back, when I was still doing a fair bit of more aggressive off road with it. They were certainly better suited to the off road stuff, especially grass and loose stuff.

Tire life was a lot shorter, of course. I still was doing a lot of pavement riding. I don't ride in town any more than absolutely necessary so most of my pavement miles are at highway speeds.

They were fine in pavement twisties. Completely predictable. The only adjustment I had to make was to "set" earlier for a corner to allow for the squishiness of the knobs. This is standard procedure when riding with knobs on pavement. If you have such experience it takes about three or four corners to adjust and then you forget about it. If you haven't run knobs on pavement you just go out and intentionally do some slower and faster corners at speeds well within your comfort zone until you've got it dialled.

...ken...
  12. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    I looked at the V300 gear ratios and did some calculations.
    Let me know if I made any mistakes.

upload_2017-12-5_19-46-40.png
    BigCanoe likes this.
  13. ski-line900

ski-line900 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is the subframe welded or bolted on? Any failures yet?

I bent the subframe on my 250L from too much load but I was able to replace it.
  14. whisperquiet

whisperquiet Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    62298 in lovely corrupt/bankrupt Southern Illinois
    The subframe is welded on.... Screen Shot 2017-12-05 at 10.11.37 PM.png
    rhapsody01 likes this.
  15. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    ok, so i orders all the parts for my wifes 300x

-Rox anti vibration 2" riser
    -pro taper aluminum handle bar
    -hand guards
    -handle bar warmers
    -crash bars
    -giant loop rear bag
    -adjustable levers
    -new hand grips
    - TRS foglights
    -43T aluminum rear sprocket
    -lithium battery
    -gel seat block
    -temp gauge
    -12v socket
    -fork rubber boots
    -swing arm spools
    -phone mount
    -aluminum fair screw set.
    -adjustable wind screen extension
    -TRS Bi-X d2s projector 4.0

i will be lowering the bike by 2-3".

oil pan will be shaved by about 1" and exhaust will be moved to gain 2" of ground clearance. i will be welding a massive custom aluminum skid plate.

the gel seat block will be used to remake the seat (1" lower and narrower).

after removing various bits off the bike already ( rear rack, rear mudguard/ plate holder, rear pegs, etc etc) ive removed 22lbs of weight so far . there is abunch of extra metal in the frame for the center stand that can get cut off, cat removal, and once lithium battery/aluminum sprocket is installed looking at a fully fuelled wet weight of about 350lb's. however once crash bars go on, and all the other goodies probably looking at 365lb's wet.

before i make the build thread we are trying to figure out what to call the bike, various names come to mind:
    -versys x 300 adventure?
    -versys 300 adventure?
    -versys x 300-R? ( R=rally)
    -versys x 300-SE?

............versys 300.?...??.....?....?...?.......

leaning towards the versys 300 adventure. as its the most suited name for such a capable small bike. but it sounds abit cliche
  16. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Given that the build itself will be an adventure, Versys-X 300 Adventure seems a good thread title. I defer to anyone who knocks it as too commercial for the name of the resulting bike.

But, hey, the build will take awhile so no rush for the bike name just yet.??

...ken...
  17. Dracer35

Dracer35 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like the sound of versys x-300r. Adventure might be more appropriate if looking at it like how Ktm names the 1190 bikes with the ADV for the 19" front wheel bike and the "R" designation reserved for the 21" wheel machine with extra suspension travel. Just my thought.
  18. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    at 6ft tall at 175 lbs, me riding a bike with 10" of suspension travel with 21/18 rims is basically equivalent to my wife riding a bike with 19/17 and 6" suspension travel and shes weighs 105lb at 5ft.

so an "R" designation on my bike can be equivalent to an "R" designation on her bike simply based on proportion/size.
  19. Dracer35

Dracer35 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I see what you mean. Really looking forward to seeing how the bike turns out. My wife being 5' 4" and 108lbs had a hard time deciding what bike she wanted. Ended up with the klx250s lowered to her liking and she loves it now.

20160903_150246.jpg 20160903_001431.jpg
  20. PaD

PaD Serial beginner

Oddometer:
    I’m impressed by the work you are able to do and also do to your wife’s bike.
    Curious to know how suspension is affected when lowering a bike like the Versys-X . The wheel travel is specified as 5.1” front and 5.8” rear.