Kawasaki Versys-X 300

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by shyam334, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Jesper Hedegaard

Jesper Hedegaard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Over here, the Adventure name is used for a package of hard bags, hand protectors and a crash bar - an Urban package is top bag and hand protectors....
    Suburban - jungle - you name it ;o)
  2. Chucksklrst

Chucksklrst Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anybody with a Green 300X, in the Colorado Denver Front Range area want to trade their gray side panels for the black ones that are on my Gray 300X? If so E-mail me. Chucksklrst@aol.com.
  3. ts01

ts01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Noob rider question for current Versys 300 owners: how are the headlights? Do the auxiliary lights (https://www.kawasaki.com/Accessories/Vehicle/KLE300CHFL/999940996) help a rider see, or are they just to be seen?

One reason I'm considering a new bike is the headlight on my beginner bike, a Ninja 500. When the days got short and we changed from daylight savings time the 500 became uncomfortable / dangerous to ride in the dark. Some of my commute is on well lit city / suburban streets, but there are a couple of totally dark stretches and a couple of blacked out underpasses. I've adjusted the aim of the Ninja headlight and I think it was converted to HID so the low beam is pretty bright, but it throws a short bright pattern, and what I need to see over 30mph is dark.

I'm probably not riding much if at all until spring, but I'm thinking of picking up a Versys 300 soon because the pricing is good on the remaining 2017s and it looks like the 2018 is the same bike in different colors. The 300 seems to fit my needs and wallet, but only if I can see where I'm going.
  4. rhapsody01

rhapsody01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    While we're on this subject, I know that SW-Motech will not develop Trax pannier racks for the Versys because of "a possible weakness in the rear frame". They fear that the frame would break under heavy load.
    The interesting thing is that Givi and others have heavy duty racks/panniers for the Versys. So who's wrong ?
  5. ts01

ts01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That was fast - thanks!

Am I correct in thinking the LEDs will draw same or less power so this would not stress the electrical system?
  6. ADH65

ADH65 KLE300

Oddometer:
    That is very unwelcome news for me, as I love my Trax cases.

Do you have a source for that information? I've sent a message to my local SW-Motech retailer (in Canada) to see what they have to say.
  7. Lesharoturbo

Lesharoturbo Nerdly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    LEDs typically draw far less power than any incandescent technology, even less than most florescent bulbs.
  8. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    They will draw less but stress on electric system will not change. (Well stress on battery will but not the rest)

The reason for that that with few exceptions most of bikes use simple shunt type RR which turns excessive amounts of electricity into heat. Actually reducing load would mean the heat will be dissipated by RR and stator, not by load.
    59DEN likes this.
  9. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:

Do not put LED's (or HID for that matter) in a headlight designed for halogen bulbs. thats produces dangerous levels of glare to oncoming traffic.

dont be "that dick" please, that rides around blinding everyone.

if you need better headlights then do what i do with all my bikes /cars and retrofit a proper Bi-x projector, not only is the light output superior but the light distribution is like 3-4 times better then any after market led/hid regardless of wattage.

a simple D2S 4.0 projector at 35w out preforms even a 100w HID/LED in a standard reflector halogen housing......... not to mention you get like twice the width, more down range light and produces less glare then the stock halogen unit. its a no brainier really.

these guys got all your needs:
    https://www.theretrofitsource.com/
    Steve0369 and Ken in Regina like this.
  10. Lesharoturbo

Oddometer:
    Not seeing motorcycle applications on that site.

Found them! Not very easy on my tablet. On a laptop it is easier to find.
  11. jgiacobbe

jgiacobbe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not wanting to be that dick, but I am not finding anything motorcycle related on that site. How about providing a more specific link to our application. Otherwise I will continue to be a lazy dick and just buy LEDs. BTW a 4000 lumen LED on my bike really didn't do much on this bike but the same bulbs on my Vstrom are awesome. I have not had anyone flash me yet with these.

A google search of BI-X projector gets me a bit more, but it doesn't look like something I can bolt into the front of the little versys.
    Graydale and mjs91882 like this.
  12. Lesharoturbo

Oddometer:
    They do not have motorcycle specific bulbs by brand, you have to look at the retrofit catalog which would require you to disassemble your headlight assembly to install. These are universal kits which really means they do not fit anything.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/p...kits-universal/motorcycle-stage-1-single.html
  13. ts01

ts01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Can't find the motorcycle stuff either but I will give them a call when the time comes.

I think my current bike falls into "that dick" territory. Prior owner "upgraded" the headlight; dunno what he put in but its quite bright if not blinding to oncoming traffic but the distribution is not so good for the rider.

Anyway sorry if this turned into a threadjack - bottom line is I should set aside some of the budget to upgrade the headlight and I'll call the retrofitsource for pricing.
  14. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    As "that dick" I'd say just do it. And while you are at it put a couple 18w LED auxiliary lights. For 2 reasons:
    - deer (and you need flood light to see them, projectors won't do)
    - morons who don't see you

Now some H4 LEDs are notorious for bad filament location so go ahead and read reviews to get a better set.
  15. suhsjake

suhsjake n00b

Oddometer:
    I put a cyclops H4 3800 lumen in mine. It produces the correct cutoff for the low beam. Nobody blinded other then by it sitting higher then low seated vehicles. Also replaced the two T10 bulbs with amber LEDs
  16. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    D2S CBI in a FXR3.0 bi-x projector running at 35w.

notice the amazing width, distance, and the super sharp and crisp cutoff, as it should be.

lowbeam:
    DSC_0160_zps386cb6ac.jpg

please notice how ridiculously far the high beam goes but without producing alot of foreground light, thus superior night time safety is achieved.

highbeam:
    DSC_0153_zps1cc9de16.jpg

the pic on the left is utter garbage and highly illegal. the pic on the right is how a proper headlight output should look like.

please educate urself on correct headlight outputs before you go out and get someone killed by blinding them, or before u kill urself because the massive amount of foreground light u produce ends up blinding urself.

[​IMG]

putting in a few 10-15w AUX lights like the t10's in ur DRL is a good idea because they produce enough light to "be seen" but not enough light to blind people.

and as for deer (any kind of wild life) thats what high beams are for......
    DavidM1, Steve0369 and Ken in Regina like this.
  17. Lesharoturbo

Oddometer:
    Very nice.
    michaelkozera likes this.
  18. cheapthrills

cheapthrills CAN'T WAIT!

Oddometer:
    I was going to compare the 310 BMW before I bought, but no one had stock to get hands on or could really give much insight on prices and availability. For that reason alone I dumped the gs from consideration. Just for reference as well I am six foot tall and about 220lbs.
    In my opinion I don't feel to large to ride it as an adventure or touring style ride. I haven't tried leaning low and racing around much yet.
    I plan to do some video soon but just been busy and weather has shifted to bit colder weather so we'll play that by ear. If you have any specific questions on the x300 feel free to ask I'm more than happy to give my opinions
  19. rhapsody01

rhapsody01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That comes from my local SW-Motech supplier (France).
    I'm curious about what Motech Canada will tell you about that.
  20. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    FWIW, I've been able to scrape the footpegs on both sides in the twisties. I'm as confident playing sport bike with it as I ever was on my GPz550s.

...ken...
    bombdefuzer and cheapthrills like this.