Kawasaki Versys-X 300

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by shyam334, Nov 8, 2016.

1. manybike

manybike Omnipresent Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, if I am riding a doomed version then I guess selling now would be prudent.
  2. manybike

Oddometer:
    Well (for example), the KTM 390 Duke (2019) model can be had for $4999.00 (plus fees and taxes) The KTM 390 Adventure is listed at about $7600.00 (plus fees and taxes). That's a substantial premium. The pricing I quote is from several Canadian KTM dealers (prices in CAD). We will see what team green comes up with.
  3. jgiacobbe

jgiacobbe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was referring to the 250/300 engine in the current VX. Also are the Asian markets mandating EU5 emissions? If not the US market is an easy diversion for the small quantity we buy.
  4. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why? Are you not enjoying the bike?

Motorcycles are toys in most of North America. The value comes entirely from their use. Anything you get on resale should be considered a bonus.

...ken...
    Krispyk, dp064, David JM and 2 others like this.
  5. SoManyFish

SoManyFish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Comparing the price of a 2019 to a 2020 is apples to oranges. And I don't know where the dealer is getting the $7600 from because it does not reflect KTM's MSRP:
    2020 390 ADV = 6799 CAD (+ 450 CAD freight) https://www.ktm.com/ca-en/travel/390-adventure/
    2020 390 Duke = 5999 CAD (+ 450 CAD freight) https://www.ktm.com/ca-en/naked/390-duke/
  6. SoManyFish

Oddometer:
    I don't know if any Asian country currently uses EURO5 but they are rapidly adopting stringent standards. For example, Indonesia adopted EURO4 (in 2018?), Malaysia is adopting EURO4 in 2020, Thailand is adopting EURO5 in 2021, India is adopting their BS-VI standard (equivalent to EURO6) in 2020, etc.
  7. manybike

Oddometer:
    https://www.kijiji.ca/v-moto-sport-...l/2020-ktm-390-adventure/1478673681?undefined
    Different prices in certain areas.
    I used to own a 390 Duke..great bikes but I don't know if the ADV version is going to be that much better than a VX300. Only the road tests will reveal that.
  8. manybike

Oddometer:
    Thoroughly enjoying the bike, one of the best I have owned as far as fun factor. I tend not to keep a bike more than a couple of seasons before I sell or trade for something different. I ride to work everyday on a bike (weather permitting) so they do have some actual utility for me.
  9. Ken in Regina

Oddometer:
    So that adds even more value for you than they do for me. I used to ride mine to work, too. Now that I'm retired and don't have to fight traffic when I don't want to I just ride for fun. If/when a 400 ever becomes available I'll grab one. In the mean time I'll just ride the wheels off my 2017.

I do understand about frequent bike changes. There was a time my own riding interests and the technology and design changes were making significant enough differences that a new ride was almost mandatory every couple of years. Not any more. I've tried about every type of riding you can do off the race track. And although the technology and designs continue to change they do not make the almost quantum differences they once did.

...ken...
  10. jspringator

jspringator Long timer

Oddometer:
    It takes 2 years to get a bike set up for me. So far with my X I have a Russell Sport seat, SW Motech risers, Givi Topcase adapter, Moto Werke lowering kit, Outex wheel sealing kit, 2 Pirelli Scorpion II tires, TPMS, LED headlight, Skeene Photon Blaster front light, Cali-Sci windshield, MRA sport windshield extension, Kawasaki cigarette lighter adapter, Powerlet plug, Kawasaki center stand, SW Moto crash guards, Moto Werke highway pegs, 43 tooth rear sprocket with DID gold chain, and adjustable side stand. It's quite the project. I need to keep it a few more years to enjoy my investment.
  11. Ken in Regina

Oddometer:
    Quite the project, indeed! I had the dealer install a set of lowering links along with the OEM handguards and electrical outlet. I rode it out of the shop that way. The only things I've added since are the California Scientific windshield, OEM centerstand (shortened appropriately thanks to Bullwinkle's welding skills), and swapped over the topcase from my BMW F650GS (since sold).

I would never have bought the bike if it had required all the stuff you've done. Although there was a time when farkling was a major part of the enjoyment for me, too. :-)

...ken...
    SoManyFish and ExTex like this.
  12. dirtdreamer50

dirtdreamer50 long time rider

Oddometer:
    Ken, what it needs and what we want often cross paths, usually on a collision course, that hits us right in the pocket book/wallet. :-) tp dd50
  13. jspringator

jspringator Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not much money, except the seat, but that was an absolute requirement. It just takes time to get everything on. The crash guard was installed so I could get highway pegs. I put the Skeene lights and LED headlight on everything. It does day long rides with ease. Jury is still out on the 43 tooth rear sprocket.

Compared to Big Dog or Tewster2 my mods are minor!
  14. SoManyFish

Oddometer:
    Nope, me either. But some riders love farkling their bikes -- to each their own :-)
  15. SoManyFish

Oddometer:
    You don't love the factory seat?
  16. Robotaz

Robotaz Adrenalin Freak

Oddometer:
    I wish this bike had longer suspension travel.

As it is, I’m so torn between the KLR and the V-x. I need rear pegs so that my wife can ride forest roads and two track with me, but man I’d love to have the technology and smoothness the KLR does not have. If I wasn’t going to have her with me I’d immediately buy a CRF450L.

I guess I’ll have to keep waiting for the KLR replacement.
  17. Dfrnt

Dfrnt Just pluggin' along Supporter

Oddometer:
    It’s here and this thread is dedicated to it :ricky
  18. Robotaz

Robotaz Adrenalin Freak

Oddometer:
    Nope. It’s an alternative, but there’s a bigger adventure bike coming from Kawasaki.
  19. Josasu

Josasu n00b

Oddometer:
    Just got my self new - 19 gray model. I ordered sw-motech crash bars, center stand, pegs and handguards. everything fitted nice but the handguards where disappointment because they reduce turning alot. they hit to fairings/windscreen before full turn. Any one else tried these?
  20. jspringator

jspringator Long timer

Oddometer:
    My Kawasaki hand guards work fine, but I have risers.