1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Kawasaki Versys-X 300

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by shyam334, Nov 8, 2016.

1. manybike

manybike Omnipresent Supporter

Oddometer:
    Interesting, I see you use to have a DR650, how does it compare to that ?
  2. jfauerba

jfauerba Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Vx300 feels lighter even know it's not. Vx300 works better in the cold. DR650 was better with the 21" front wheel. Vx300 works better on the pavement when keeping it at high rpms. DR650 felt tougher and felt like it could take more falling over. On gravel roads, xt225 was the best, then vx300, then DR650, then NC700x. Hated the xt225 on pavement above 50mph.
  3. manybike

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the comparo. I had the 700X and a WR250R and I still like the VX best for gravel running. The 700X had potential but the 17" front wheel limited off road use, the engine was almost diesel like, lots of low end grunt. The front trunk (frunk) on the 700X was a really handy feature. My WR250 was great in the more gnarly stuff but not near as good on the highway as the VX.
    Wallachian Spikes and rideforzen like this.
  4. Ride Now

Ride Now Graybeard

Oddometer:
  5. jgiacobbe

jgiacobbe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure. I swapped all my bulbs to LED and have enough overhead I run grips, a jacket and some small advmonster model 20 aux lights and have plenty of juice. I wired my aux lights via a relay to the battery and used the accessory circuit to trip the relay so the lights cut off with the bike. Somewhere a couple years back in the thread I provided links to the bulbs I used. Credit to others, I used other folks research on the various bulbs. Most of this was from early in this thread.
    Mnarsg likes this.
  6. flexiflyer

flexiflyer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think the 56watts total refers to the "onboard" circuit the accessory relay enables.....not the overall watts available. I only switched the running lights and tailight to LED. With heated grips, Powerlet jacket, charging phone/ipod/GPS with brights on my Sparkbright tells me I am fine above 1500rpm.....at idle it isn't charging but isn't discharging.

Anyone with the Givi crash bars / guards installed..........can you unbolt/reinstall them from the engine mount ear without removing the engine mount bolt/mounting ears ?
  7. DeusEx

DeusEx n00b

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

manybike likes this.
  8. manybike

Oddometer:
  9. Bt10

Bt10 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Says hi and lo beam? Clipped for right or lefthand drive? Looks nice, I wouldn't spend that much though.:dunno
  10. DeusEx

DeusEx n00b

Oddometer:
    Agreed that the price is expensive, but honestly it seems worth it over trying to find the right LEDs and beam angle. I also like the more aggressive look.

It has LED daytime running lights (the X), low beam, and high beam. According to my local DOT (Wisconsin), the requirements for headlights seem pretty basic, so I think this would qualify. I'm no expert though.

There's also this HID projector/assembly by KT Moto that I've been looking at...

https://www.ktmoto.com/fit-for-kawasaki-versys-x300-2017-kt-tailor-made-hid-projector-kit-hp42/

Attached Files:

11. jgiacobbe

jgiacobbe Long timer

Oddometer:
    A quick glance makes me think that what you linked is just the projector to go in their kit. I feel like this would be the total kit which is $499.
    https://www.ktmoto.com/fit-for-kawasaki-x300-2017-kt-led-angel-eye-headlight-assembly/
  12. DeusEx

DeusEx n00b

Oddometer:
    Indeed, the whole assembly is a safer buy (but expensive), but I believe we can pop out the reflector and insert this assembly into the resulting hole. See this video of a Z650 headlight assembly rebuild for what I'm talking about:

It's best to ask the seller though of course to be sure before anyone purchases anything. Not sure what I'm going to do yet...taking advice...I'd like a brighter, whiter headlight and to save on running wattage so I can power more accessories.
  13. SoManyFish

SoManyFish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If it is not road legal and you are involved in an accident, could it be used as a means to find you liable for the accident and possibly void your insurance?
  14. DeusEx

DeusEx n00b

Oddometer:
    This all appears to be governed by FMVSS 108 in the USA. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Motor_Vehicle_Safety_Standard_108

Of particular note, headlights are not "approved" by the DOT but the OEM is supposed to self-certify and inscribe DOT on the lens.

Motorcycle section starts at S10.17 at https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?node=se49.6.571_1108
    Also see Table I-c - Required Lamps and Reflective Devices
    Also see S14.2.5.5.8 and S14.2.5.5.9

Overall, I'm not finding any issues though as long as the brightness is better than stock and is angled appropriately. I'll ask the Alibaba seller if the headlamps have DOT inscribed...I'm betting that's all an insurance agent would look for anyway (if they did in the first place).
  15. jspringator

jspringator Long timer

Oddometer:
    Someone needs to buy these and do a test. My only experience with non Hella or Cibie aftermarket lights has resulted in lights that fogged up because of leaks.
  16. jwaller

jwaller Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Were you a KLR rider in a former life? That’s freaking awesome, it really warms my parsimonious heart.

Thanks for the inspiration. Off to Harbor Freight to buy another case to copy what you’ve done.
  17. SoManyFish

SoManyFish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, this is all correct.

I looked very closely at the photos at https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/NEW-2017-2019-GENUINE-K-AWASAKI_62132419527.html? and I don't see DOT on it anywhere.

Edit: I found what appears to be the same product on an Australian website which claims the product is "DOT, ECE 113 and ADR approved", https://hoglights.com.au/products/kawasaki-z650-versys Of course, as noted by DeusEx, "approved" is a misnomer because DOT, ECE 113 and ADR are not approvals proper but more correctly they are standards that describe characteristics that the product is supposed to conform to. In any case, in North America having DOT molded onot the headlight somewhere should satisfy legal requirements in case you are involved in an accident and police or lawyesr goes looking for that sort of thing.
  18. David JM

David JM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jwaller, I hope you like your custom case. I did test ride a KLR 650 a few years ago, I would of brought it, but it was to tall for me. I do like my 300, especially after I found out I could wind it up to about 13,000 rpms, about 52 mph in 2nd and about 75 in 3rd. and it gets there pretty fast for a 300 with a 15T sprocket.
    Then I found out I didn't have to slow down for the curves on the back road, or at least I could run 20+ over the posted speed and felt solidly planted in the turns. I do slow down on blind curves where there might be a bear in the middle of the road.
    Then I found out that I could jump on my bike at 4:00 in the morning and ride until midnight, putting 1,000 miles on the clock, and still be able to walk when I got home. I did do a seat mod and throttle lock on it.
    Anyway, I hope they will make a 360 lb. KLR 400 for you tall guys, and a V 400 for us shorter guys. Happy trails, and roads.
    lazy bum, RedEX, SoManyFish and 6 others like this.
  19. macrae85

macrae85 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A 700cc twin allegedly coming out, got a feeling it'll be based on the 650cc Versys engine...well proven
  20. manybike

Oddometer:
    Why 700-800 ?, I think most Adv riders want the illusive 400 - 450. They seem to want to produce everything and anything but, why ? if it's good enough for Dakar it should be good enough for us Adv riders...I don't get it. I had a 650 Versys and it is an excellent motor...the bike's wheelbase was a bit too short to feel really stable on gravel etc (17" wheel didn't help either)