1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Kawasaki Versys-X 300

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by shyam334, Nov 8, 2016.

1. SoManyFish

SoManyFish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    LOL
  2. SoManyFish

Oddometer:
    They are, and they aren't. I have two broken plastics on my Versys-X and TBH I do not even know how they broke. They are ridiculously expensive to replace.
  3. SoManyFish

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear the inexpensive stand worked out well for you! The OEM unit is well-made but, as you know, it is also a tad over-priced. AFAIC the centre stand for Versys-X is a must-have item for changing tires, fixing flats, chain lube and slack adjustment, solo oil level check, long-term storage, etc.
  4. MJS5761

MJS5761 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    SW Motech is excellent and it does not roll forward easily, and much lower cost than OEM. I had one on my old 04 DL-650 also with no problems. Center stands are a must in my opinion for ease of maintenance and storage in the garage. Upright takes much less space than leaning on side stand. Versys x with SW Motech center stand.jpg
  5. gn83tm

gn83tm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hold the bike vertical and look in the window...
    CRP6001 and Bt10 like this.
  6. gn83tm

gn83tm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Didn't realize I was starting an oil discussion. Enjoy your center stands ;)
  7. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You must have mighty long arms. My arms would need to be nearly a foot longer to be able to hold the bike vertical and bend far enough to see the sightglass.

...ken...
  8. Ken in Regina

Oddometer:
    Ummm... that's erl.

...ken...
  9. jfauerba

jfauerba Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here is how I check the oil:
    1) take a harbor freight free flashlight and velco and mount it to the right footpeg which makes it almost pointing to the window.
    2) put small block of wood under kickstand so bike will be almost vertical but still leaning on kickstand. If I feel it is a little too far upright, I will hold on to the bike as I walk onto the other side. It would be better to find smaller piece of wood.
    3) sit on the ground, still pushing bike towards kickstand if needed, make sure I have a good view of the oil window.
    4) grab handle bar and something on the rear, forgot what, and slowly pull the bike upright until I feel it is balanced keeping in mind to to pull to far, just enough that don't really need pressure eith direction to keep it up.
    5) look in window.
    6) push bike back on kickstand, add oil if needed, repeat check.
  10. Fuzzy74

Fuzzy74 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Get a center stand. All you need then is flat ground.
    7thson likes this.
  11. rvarela

rvarela Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1 on the SW-Motech centre stand. Works nicely for me
  12. jfauerba

jfauerba Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a center stand but two issues:
    1) Got a china one and lost the spring on the first day ride with it so now it is ziptied up. Will only use it for emergencies on the road.
    2) Bike was lowered so was really hard to get it on the center stand. Have to roll the back whell on a board to get it on center stand.
  13. twaldron

twaldron Dudeman

Oddometer:
    I do that on my DS’s. On my Vx and Scrambler I installed center stands because, on those bikes, having one just isn’t a negative.
    Bullwinkle and Ken in Regina like this.
  14. SoManyFish

Oddometer:
    It seems like a lot of work.
  15. Lesharoturbo

Lesharoturbo Nerdly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm 6'7". I just hold the bike (KLX650C) vertical and squat down to see the oil level. 2 second to check.

I know, not helpful
    SoManyFish likes this.
  16. Ken in Regina

Oddometer:
    Completely off this subject... I think you may have a minor error in your signature line or whatever it's called. Yeah, I read them. They're often quite interesting.

Should it be "Lesharoturbo" instead of "Lehsaroturbo"?

Yes, picky, I know.

...ken...
  17. Lesharoturbo

Lesharoturbo Nerdly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep

Fixed, just for you.
    Ken in Regina likes this.
  18. David JM

David JM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another Use for Apache 3800 top and side cases. If your out in the middle of nowhere and you get a flat and you don't have a center stand and there are no stumps, logs, or large rocks around to put your bike on top of to patch your tire, you can use your 3800 case like a stump. First remove it from the bike, then you might have to pile up some dirt under it to get the right height and then just lift your bike up on top of it. The case will hold the weight of your bike easily, but they don't like hot exhaust pipes. If your not able to lift the bike, then with the side stand in the down position you can grab the left handle bar grip and the right side of the back part of the seat and pull towards you to lean the bike over enough to slide the case under far enough to keep your back wheel off the ground. The bike will be resting on the case, front wheel, and the side stand. My tail case has I bolts on the lid, I would probably use them to tie the bike down, or tie the case to the bike, but I would much rather just use my center stand.
    Fuzzy74 likes this.
  19. BAGSTR

BAGSTR One Project a Day

Oddometer:
    Liking:

Waffle Grips
    Adjustable Levers
    Removed Bar Weights
    Crate on rear Rack
    5-8,000 RPM
    Adjusted Windscreen angle using thick nylon washers and rubber washers

Dissing:

Child’s Seat - Sixth week of waiting for Seat Concepts High Comfort
  20. SeatConcepts

SeatConcepts Adventurer

Oddometer:

Hello!
    We apologize your order has been taking this long. Unfortunately, we are behind on orders due to the amount of orders we've received over the past few months and not having a full enough team to keep up with all the orders. We can definitely provide an order update (if you've ordered directly from us). If you're interested, please provide your order number so we can look up your order in our system and give an estimation of when it might be shipping.
    Thank you!