Kawasaki Versys-X 300

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by shyam334, Nov 8, 2016.

1. vodka.dispenser

vodka.dispenser n00b

Oddometer:
    So I recently upgraded to a new sis 300x and I fitted it with engine guards and the ricochet skid plate.
    It seems that the bikes is vibrating harder after the installation, especially on the seat and the pillion bars, which make sense but I still wonder whether its normal?
  2. Veltins

Veltins Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's odd. I have both as well and never felt anything off regarding vibration.
  3. Bt10

Bt10 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine (with same farkles) vibrates more than I think it should, but I'm so happy to be off the DRZ, I don't care. About 40 minutes and my throttle thumb is first to go to sleep. I may get around this winter to adding Tusk barkbusters, which should deaden the vibes a bit. I do work with vibe testing, and moving the weight and/or changing the amount slightly changes the freq' of the bad vibes.

Edit to add: Might check all the bolts to make sure they are tight on the guards, myself included. Never liked that 300mm long top bolt.
  4. SoManyFish

SoManyFish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did the engine guards and/or skid plate require you to remove and then reinstall any engine-to-frame mounting bolts? If yes, you may experience an increase in engine vibration if those bolts are inadequately torqued.
  5. Bt10

Bt10 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll answer yes for me to removing the top motor mount bolt, and the replacement from SWmotech can never achieve the torque value consistently they are looking for. The locking nut torque is higher than the torsional stiffness of the bolt. Hopefully vodka seen the same effect, to narrow it down.
  6. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You know what they say happens when the nut at the wheel gets tight. I sincerely hope you're not riding when you get real tight. :photog

...ken...
    Bt10 likes this.
  7. Unhingedlizard

Unhingedlizard Long timer

Oddometer:
    Saying hello here cause my gf just bought a vx300. Secondhand with a FSH, 15000km.

Having read through over 800 pages and not finding a single common issue with this bike im kinda disgusted. Coming from KTM land i just don't understand how you ride bikes that dont have random mechanic breakdowns on a regular basis (otherwise known as character)?!

Coming from an unreliable, long in the tooth f650gs she is so excited about a lightweight, reliable bike. Having read these pages im sure she has made a good choice
    Inforoo, Bullwinkle, RedEX and 8 others like this.
  8. plodalong

plodalong Now if we just.....

Oddometer:
    Just got a new one and yes reliability was the main reason. Could have had a KTM 390 adventure for not a lot more and has better suspension and fancy electronics but...
    Bullwinkle and manybike like this.
  9. Fla_Dawg

Fla_Dawg Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    20201106_114806.jpg
    Decided to pull the trigger on a leftover '19 non ABS. If there is a VX400 coming next year I probably wouldn't buy it till some time in '22 anyway. Only put 30 or so miles on it since I got it last Monday, mostly due to all the rain and tropical storm that just blew through here in NE Florida.

Completely different mannerisms than the KLX230 I have, just a case of getting used to the much higher engine revs and lack of torque till about 7-7.5k rpms. Definitely like the wind protection and how nimble the bike is at 385lbs or whatever the weight is. Shows my lack of experience with motorcycle geometry. I just assumed since it's roughly 95lbs heavier than the 230 I would feel it instantly. Couldn't be further from the truth. I feel the higher COG on the 230 much more than the 300, so I'm really happy about that. That 95lbs just isn't really noticeable right off the bat like I thought it would be.

Not sure if or how long I'll keep the 230. The 300 can probably do almost 90% of the riding I do better than the 230. I hate to see a perfectly good piece of machinery sitting and not being used, will need to figure out what to do there. Anyway, just wanted to share my thoughts so far on the 300. Thanks to this informative thread for helping steer me in the 300's direction.
  10. Ken in Regina

Oddometer:
    @Unhingedlizard, @plodalong, @Fla_Dawg Welcome to the club! Here's looking to many hours/miles/kilometres of enjoyment. I just cracked 44,000km (27,345mi) on my 2017 before I tucked it away for winter.

...ken...
  11. manybike

manybike Omnipresent Supporter

Oddometer:
    What ?? are you going to let a mere few feet of snow and subzero temperatures interrupt your riding ?
  12. manybike

Oddometer:
    Your GF may not be happy after you start riding her VX on a regular basis due YOU like it so much. After I bought my VX as a second bike my poor 800GS hardly gets ridden anymore.
  13. manybike

Oddometer:
    The VX is a great bike, you will enjoy it..have fun !
    Fla_Dawg likes this.
  14. Ken in Regina

Oddometer:
    Damn straight! I'm pretty much a 20/20 kinda guy these days: I just ride if the temp is warmer than +20C and the wind is calmer than 20kph. :-)

Your experience with your 800GS is pretty much the same as mine with my F650GS: it was just collecting dust so I took the plate off in August that first year and sold it that winter.

...ken...
    manybike likes this.
  15. manybike

Oddometer:
    Isn't that a rare day on the prairies ? lol
    Northern_Rider777 likes this.
  16. manybike

Oddometer:
    Yep, the only reason the GS is still around is for two up riding with my wife.
    The only other light weight adv type bike that interests me right now is the 310GS
  17. manybike

Oddometer:
    Waiting to see what Kawasaki reveals on November 23rd.
  18. Ken in Regina

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately. Especially the past couple of years. If you aren't prepared to ride when the wind is 40, 50, 60kph, you won't put many hours/miles on the bike. I managed top put on 11,000km but skipped quite a few days when the wind was 50 gusting 70kph and worse.

On the plus side, the protection on the bike is pretty good and even though it's light enough to get pushed around, it handles well enough that it's not a big deal as long as you relax and don't fight it.

...ken...
  19. Unhingedlizard

Unhingedlizard Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its possible but im currently in full on affair mode with my 390 adventure so.... Maybe
  20. manybike

Oddometer:
    You will have to give us a ride review between the two. Nothing beats real life owner comparisons.
    I just about bought a used 390 ADV this Fall but wanted to wait and see what new models were going to be announced.