Kawasaki W800

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by A Knight Who Says Ni, Aug 27, 2010.

1. DevilDogDoc

DevilDogDoc n00b

Oddometer:
    Done!! I’m like 20 miles from you if your location is still correct I could come get it too
  2. AHRMA17L

AHRMA17L Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I also have a pair of the correct OEM world spec emission caps so you don't have to Bush League rig the emissions system plugging it up with a marble. This is the way to do it right and clean.

The last thing I have for the W are some used soft bag luggage racks. They are German made Fehling mounts.

162404076681921138860469645466.jpg
  3. AHRMA17L

AHRMA17L Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds good. I am still in Dundee. PM sent
  4. JETalmage

JETalmage Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why don't you go take a look at what I'm talking about on a Bonneville instead of trying to tell me what I have and don't have use for?

JET
  5. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nothing to do with telling you to do anything, just an observation.
  6. Scrivens

Scrivens Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hepco & Becker

1.jpg
  7. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    No, That isn't the reason. It is simply that Kawasaki didn't contract out to get the accessories made, leaving it for the aftermarket. If they thought they could cash in adequately, they would do so, but they obviously don't think they can.
    JETalmage and shinyribs like this.
  8. TheBoat

TheBoat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Back a few years ago a guy I worked with had a Kawaski ( The worlds only Polish Motorcycle) 650 Vertical twin, he asked me to help show him how to adjust the valves and chain since it was his first bike. It was not bad for $50. basket case., I had rode and fixed a lot of 650 Bonnavals, Nortons, BSA's and Yamahamma 650 vertcal twins. They are all fun. I like the Triumph and Northon and BSA the best as the shit is on the correct side and brake on the port. But I did ride a Yam 650 for about 10 years and put many, many miles on it.
  9. markk53

Oddometer:
    I have to agree on your brake/shift comments having started on a Bultaco Sherpa T and short tracked on a Sherpa S. The combined motions of the shift and clutch kind of work better with the right side shift, same with braking. I liked the set up. Then there was the Metralla, with the right side road race pattern.

My brother had a Yamaha TY250 and we swapped bikes one time. Like ta kilt myself trying to use the back brake a bit over a drop off... :eekers
  10. beardothebeardo

beardothebeardo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can the ABS be easily switched off?
  11. JETalmage

JETalmage Long timer

Oddometer:
    As you may know, Kawasaki has a few W-specific accessories: Rack (already installed); front crash guards (pass); heated grips (just ordered, despite rather ridiculous price). The reason I'd like to see them offer a pair of saddlebag stand-offs just like those I mentioned is precisely because I've seen them on Bonnevilles. They are minimalist and unobtrusive to the bike's styling, and would serve their purpose with any of the several soft saddlebag sets I've acquired over the years.

I suspect that were the W to become a higher-volume bike, there would be more 'factory official' accessory offerings to follow shortly. But like I've said since first riding one: It's a bike one really does have to actually ride to understand its appeal. I'm very glad they didn't give up on it the first go-'round.

It's appearance didn't even particularly appeal to me when I first saw it. I've never been the 'retro' type. I just rode it on a whim at one of the Kawasaki demo truck weekends truthfully in spite of its looks. It was all about the character of the ride.

But having now ridden it for over 5000 miles, it's become one of the most beautiful bikes ever, to my eyes. It is one of those rare bikes that compels me to turn around and look at after I get off it. It just needs more marketing exposure, and I believe would prove worth the time and effort.

I've decided the W stands for "Wretro done Wright." ;-)

JET
    TCBronson likes this.
  12. JETalmage

JETalmage Long timer

Oddometer:
    By way of follow-up on this: With the Dunlop Trailmax Mission tires, after changing back to the stock 15-tooth sprocket, I do indeed find that my speedometer now matches the GPS as close as I would hope: to within .3 MPH. A happy consequence of just replacing the stock rear tire with a style that has significantly deeper tread.

After about 800 miles on them, I remain delighted with these tires on this bike. The improvement in stability over grooves and in turns raises the quality of the whole ride. The 'hunting' of front is just the stock tires, not a consequence of the bike's 'retro' geometry.

JET
  13. markk53

Oddometer:
    I take that as Elmer Fudd pronunciation "Wetwo done wight." :photog

Thing with accessories is the OEM ends up charging far too much because they're buying the product from the aftermarket in most cases, but not always. One example of the former for my XSR is the lift stand spools, Yamaha wants near $200, but Bellissimoto sells them a shade over $100, same Gilles spools from different sources. But one example of Yamaha doing it right is their solo saddle, which is around $100 and is interchangeable with the stock seat as they detach with a key lock. So it just depends on what and how much. I think they also tend to leave things open for the aftermarket instead of having to carry more inventory. Let the aftermarket take the risk.
  14. JETalmage

JETalmage Long timer

Oddometer:
    I worked 27 years for a vehicle manufacturer. Stints in Engineering, Advertising, and Technical Publications (which was under the purview of the Parts Sales Division, for which I also did marketing and database development). I have a fair understanding of how it works.

On the one hand, most of the stock components of a vehicle could be thought of as 'from the aftermarket.' Obviously, Honda doesn't manufacture Mikuni carbs; it buys them. On the other hand, Suzuki may contract with Mikuni to build a carb 'customized' for a particular model.

On the other other hand, the purchasing contract between the manufacturer and the component supplier sometimes stipulates that Production Purchasing pays a lower price than Parts Sales Purchasing of the same manufacturer; other times not. OE or not, 'accessory' or not, Parts Purchasing is thereby often effectively 'prohibited' from selling replacement parts at a better price than the component supplier's own dealers (if the supplier has its own retail channels).

Such things are what Purchasing Agents negotiate (and re-negotiate); they are not just data entry clerks for placing orders like monkeys pushing buttons. There is no simple universal principle governing whether a manufacturer 'charges far too much because they're buying a component from the aftermarket'. You and I don't know what goes on in the conference rooms.

For example, the heated grips I ordered from KTM PowerParts for my 990 SMT appeared to be what you would call 'bought from the aftermarket' because they really didn't even fit the bar ends correctly. And yeah, except for the connectors being plug & play, they were over-priced compared to functionally equivalent grip heaters I could have bought as 'universal' accessories.

The heated grips I bought for my 790 from KTM PowerParts were very similar, using the very same rather inelegant glue-on control button, had plug & play connectors, and fit the bike without any problem (the tedious need to fish out the connectors from that hideous headlight support rat's nest notwithstanding). They also cost more than the ones for the SMT.

The heated grips I just ordered for my W are priced higher than either of those. Yet as best I can discern from the Parts Catalog, they seem to have the control integrated with the left grip, not as a separate clamp with a sticky-back button that has to be mounted inboard of the switch housing. What can be clearly discerned from the parts explosion is that the kit includes plug & play harness and fasteners and a dedicated ECU. So regardless of how it was actually sourced, I'm confident it will be a more 'OE tidy' kind of installation. We'll see.

Regardless, I dare say a significant factor in the pricing is the simple fact that, even if all W owners were to buy them (unlikely), it would still be a low-sales-volume item simply because there are not that many Ws 'out there' (at least yet). Or, it could be that the same kit also fits other Kawasaki models. I didn't check, but from the parts explosion, it seems unlikely.

JET
  15. IAhawkeye

IAhawkeye Still kicking .

Oddometer:
    View attachment 3033319 [/QUOTE[/QUOTE]
    Interested in the Fehling racks if available for sale for my 2019 W800 Cafe . Looks like they are otherwise available at British Legends website . PM me if interested to sell . Thanks !
  16. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    Anybody successfully lowered the pegs on a W800? Not looking for a huge change, but it would be nice to get about an inch. I know you can take the rubber covers off to gain about a half inch, but I like the rubber covers, and with the engine vibes on this bike, I see them as a necessity.

I imagine the ridiculous brake pedal will be the biggest issue for lower pegs. Seriously never seen or ridden a bike with a brake pedal that long before...
  17. TheBoat

TheBoat Adventurer

Oddometer:

I had to find a picture of a rider with boots on the foot peg. looks like its in the proper position. why on earth would you want to lower it? A lot of Foot pegs rub on the pavement when your leaning hard into a tight hairpin turn. most are on a pivot bolt so the fold up a little bit so you dont dump the bike by planting a steel anchor into the pavement. Seat hight is perfect. You can put your feet on the ground when your at a stop. I would like Twin Disk Brakes in the Front but NO ABS. THat takes away your ability to crank the throttle to slide the rear wheel around corners while working the brake. who the hell would want ABS and its only something else to break. Keep it Simple and Keep the Price down . the Motor could be bored out just a bit to get the 798 cc out of it and still stay under the 800cc limit that makes your insurance go up. Kind of nice little waterfront road he is riding on. would be interesting to see if he can make the jump over the little tree down the path. I think if the bike came in a Scrambler version on road/off road with luggage rack it would be perfect. Most vertical twins shake your kidneys so bad you only ride 100 miles or so before getting off to take a piss anyway.
    W800.jpg W800.jpg
  18. Haven't Ben There

Haven't Ben There restless soul

Oddometer:
    My 2019 W800 is pretty smooth with the balance shaft. It has just enough vibes to let you know it is there but not enough to be annoying. YMMV.
    I am thinking of raising the seat an inch just to get a little more room.
  19. red_w800

red_w800 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use the pegs from Honda GW. They are lower, flat, and more comfortable.

[​IMG]
    Haven't Ben There and HapHazard like this.
  20. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    Oh this is awesome! Direct fit? Do you have part numbers?