1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Kawasaki Z1000S

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by RaY YreKa, Sep 29, 2010.

1. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa Palanquins RTW

Oddometer:
    Riders are getting older and sportsbike sales are way down; maybe the 35-45 year olds who used to ride GSX-Rs and R1s still want some performance, but also better usability?
  2. Paulvt1

Paulvt1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear that Ray. The weak Pound / strong Yen has killed Suzuki sales here in the Midlands, which was one of their best sales grounds. The Bandit sales are dreadful, which was their bread and butter bike.
    Agree with your statement about sportsbike sales. When sales of gixxers and so on dry up here in the UK, you know something is wrong.
    This new Z1000S could lead to a whole new crop of light, performance orientated sport tourers. Not before time too.
  3. Graemsay

Graemsay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm quite interested in this bike. If Ray_Rev is correct then it strikes me as being an updated version of the R1200S.

Sports tourers are getting bigger, heavier and more powerful, and this strikes me as being an alternative evolution. That said, if it's 228 kg dry then it's pretty lardy...
  4. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa Palanquins RTW

Oddometer:
    Thanks Paul. The shop she works in will survive, I think. But you're right - the 'cheap' bikes aren't so cheap anymore.
  5. olie

olie Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. arshishb

arshishb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh man, now I am really excited. Few things that show they didn't skimp on the components:

1) Same brake setup as the ZX10, right from the master to the calipers. Stock setup of the ZX10 is very powerful!

2) Looks like the ZX6 Showa BPF made it here. I could be wrong here, the image is not clear enough.

3) ZX10 wheels which look really nice & are very light.

4) The rear eccentric to adjust the chain is a big plus.

Now lets hope they didn't skimp on the power by calling it "tuned for more mid range" :huh
  7. Oldbutslow

Oldbutslow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I see this bike as not doing anything particularly well. ,BK
  8. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:
    For a 'standard' that tail section looks pretty skimpy.
    Hope they make it strong enough for a passenger and some bags.
    I ran a Honda topcase on my Vtec VFR for a number of years and eventually the rear subframe started cracking.
  9. Shorty

Shorty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    But Probably not too bad at anything either. Should be easy to get along with for some.

Attached Files:

10. ferrix

ferrix Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Proper analogue tacho, too! Thank you Kawasaki for removing that monstrosity you put on Z1000. I'm definitely interested, especially since we no longer get CBF1000 in our market. 228kg dry weight should mean around 250kg ready to go, or around 15 to 20kg less than CBF. Perfectly acceptable as far as I'm concerned.
  11. Paulvt1

Paulvt1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Z1000R is listed as 228kg kerb weight. That's a full tank and all fluids. This could be one very good bike.
  12. ferrix

ferrix Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And here I was, ready to accept that figure for dry weight! Well, that's a nice bonus then isn't it :)
  13. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa Palanquins RTW

Oddometer:
    This engine is already plenty grunty. The Z1000 just won BIKE's group test. istr it will wheelie in 3rd gear..

I think it looks great, with top notch parts. Being lighter and more powerful than the Bandit and CBF can't hurt. I guess the Sprint GT is the nearest type of bike in the segment.
  14. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    FZ1....
  15. arshishb

arshishb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, but the suspension & braking bits on the GT suck. :lol3 This might not be an issue for some, but it is an issue regardless. For me it is.
  16. Garry

Garry Bleeds Orange...

Oddometer:
    Assuming that hard luggage will be available as an option, this looks to be a great SPORT-touring platform given that the Z1000 was all-new and getting rave reviews for 2010.

I see this as a sportier Bandit 1250, or an FZ-1 competitor (but with more plastic). Given that the "official" ST bikes are getting so large (FJR, C14, etc) and the VFR800 is gone and the sportiness of the Sprint ST is gone and the Ducati ST series is gone, this thing looks to tick all the right checkboxes with me.

Can't wait for more details...
  17. NikonsAndVStroms

NikonsAndVStroms Beastly Photographer

Oddometer:
    :nod

Since my old man body wont be going away anytime soon it is great to see performance bikes with a fairing and livable ergonomics.
  18. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I think Kwak learned something from the 650 twin platform.

Not to mention, both Z1000's are perfect 'next' bikes for ER6N and Ninja 650R owners. :deal
  19. Paulvt1

Paulvt1 Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. yooperbikemike

yooperbikemike high, wide and handsome

Oddometer:
    This is the bike that the new VFR (other than the inline engine) should have been.