Kawasaki Z900RS Official Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by quint7, Sep 15, 2016.

1. c_m_shooter

c_m_shooter Ninja Warrior Supporter

Oddometer:
    The air cooled Triumphs just run. It has the vintage bike charm with none of the headaches. Just tires, chains, and sprockets to keep them going down the road. There are reports of them going 100k miles, mine ain't near there yet. I don't ride it near as much as my commuters. If you want sport bike handling look elswhere, but the suspension can be set up to do okay. Mine has the progressive front springs and I am looking to replace the shocks. The oem shocks are bargain basement items, and are kind of shot coming up on 20k miles.

1754543-1cd8b0029230761a0d7668638c2adfcd.jpg
    Motonirvana likes this.
  2. HodadBiker

HodadBiker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome,
    Any validity to stay away from sub 2010 models?

Things I like about your era triumph, low entry price, a done version of what I’d be striving and likely failing to put together and keep running (and less oil leaks) than a real vintage one.
    I’d imagine riding a 2010 Bonneville or Thruxton to be a crude, pure, low performing, glorious experience.

My new/used z900rs with the Rizoma low bars doesn’t have me missing my last 150HP rocket at all,
    it has more than enough power for darting through the city and the local canyons.

Check out this guys z900rs video, don’t think I’ll ever push any bike this hard again but it kinda makes me want to
    it’s nice to know I still have a bike that is capable of this
    Chalkie62 likes this.
  3. jmlmjmjm

jmlmjmjm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where is Blood Mountain? ^^^^^^
  4. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Florida, but soon fulltime in Robbinsville, NC
    North Georgia.
  5. HodadBiker

HodadBiker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dude is from Georgia, he has other great ride videos and how to on up grades, setups and mods for z900rs as well as some really cool and stuff
  6. ddavidv

ddavidv The reason we can't have nice things

Oddometer:
    At the risk of derailing the thread...
    Nothing wrong with pre-2010 Triumph twins. I have a carb'd 2008. I've had to replace the tires and a weeping valve cover gasket.
    A guy in the 'All Things Bonneville' thread just posted he turned 200,000 miles on his, though he did replace the engine at 160k due to a broken valve.
    A few observations:
    The rear shocks are awful. I don't mean just cheap, but truly horrible in a painful-to-ride way. Though I put TEC versions on mine I'd recommend opting for Ikons.
    They are rather heavy, and you feel it. Not nimble, but not awful.
    I think they have just the right amount of vibration. Enough to let you know it's a proper motorcycle but not so much you tire of it.
    A strong aftermarket means you can make it your own like a Harley.
    It's well made with nice finish, though not to the level of the newer WC ones. They seem to hold their value really well; mine is still worth nearly what I paid for it used 5 years ago.
    HodadBiker and Motonirvana like this.
  7. OSUgasman

OSUgasman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, great info from everyone on here. Thanks!! I plan on keeping my '18 Striple 765RS for general one up hooliganism and possible track days, if I go back there again... This bike will be for 2 up casual cruising with either wife or daughter on back, so slow and easy in the 25-50 mph range. Back roads. The Kawasaki just speaks to me in a way that we all know (so since bikes are cheaper than ex-wives, just buy the damn thing and move on!!!). But, I see the Z900RS as being retro cool, well balanced, and potentially a great future long distance cruiser with some small modifications. Being that I guy near me just decided he couldn't part with his '19 Z900RS Cafe in team green, guess I will keep looking. May also go back to an air cooled Moto Guzzi?

--Brian
    HodadBiker and Motonirvana like this.
  8. guns_equal_freedom

guns_equal_freedom Long timer

Oddometer:
    The only Triumph I would buy is the Thruxton TFC. At $21K I would buy the Z900RS and spend the difference on goodies for me and the bike.
    HodadBiker and Wallachian Spikes like this.
  9. PAULIBIKER

PAULIBIKER Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a group buy going for a flash at 2 Wheel DynoWorks for $225 over on the ZRX board. Let me know if you’re interested.
    I already have my Delkevic header installed. How many are modifying the airbox like Ivan and Dale Walker have done?
    SalNap likes this.
  10. Florida Lime

Oddometer:
    A quick stop during a late day run.
    20210721_192903.jpg
  11. guns_equal_freedom

Oddometer:
  12. SalNap

SalNap Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thats a great price!
    I have full Delkevic system, no moda to airbox. Yet anyways. Id like to hear from those who have done it
  13. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    Nice front brakes! Is that a kit or did you source all the parts?
  14. JETalmage

JETalmage Long timer

Oddometer:
    Brian,

Have you ridden the Z900? Frankly, I don't really get it for the riding you describe ("2 up casual cruising...slow and easy in the 25-50 mph range").

You already have your "'18 Striple 765RS for general one up hooliganism".

I drooled over the neo-retro Z900s (especially the team green cafe first, and then the grey cafe) in the showroom, so one was my first choice to ride the next time the Kawasaki demo truck came around. I found it completely lackluster for the mild demo ride loop (in-town 4-laners and brief stint on secondary highways), compared to both my 790 Adventure (which I was never enamored with anyway) and my 990 SMT (which I dearly loved). Simple fact is, inline fours want to rev.

So before leaving that day, completely on a whim I rode the W800, which at the time, I had not even heard of. I went back and rode it three more times that weekend and ended up buying one about 5 months later. I've put right at 2,000 miles per month on it since April, doing much what you describe (except the 2-up part): low-stress riding mostly on 'back roads'; semi-rural state and secondary national highways.

Not trying to derail a thread on the excellent neo-retro Z900s; just saying that for the riding you describe--unless you and your passenger are tall or large--you really might consider taking a W for a ride. Neo-retro styling; straightforward very under-stressed mechanically simple air-cooled twin; and a lot of character from its 360 degree crank, unique bevel-gear cam drive, and soothing mellow sound.

JET
    DCrider likes this.
  15. guns_equal_freedom

Oddometer:
    I looked for a kit for the Z900RS/Z900RS Cafe and didn't find one.
    I ended up buying the Brembos from Hard Racing LLC, the brake lines from Speigler and the rotors from Galfer.
    The Brembos came with 8mm spacers, pads and the fine thread banjo bolts.
    I am still looking for a rear disc.
  16. guns_equal_freedom

Oddometer:
    I have the Ivan's ECU mod done to mine, did the air filter change, the shorter intake runners, removed the partition from the upper airbox lid and drilled holes in the airbox lid.
    I also have the Akrapovic header and I am running the stock "muffler".
  17. Florida Lime

Oddometer:
    Which Brembo calipers are they ?
  18. guns_equal_freedom

Oddometer:
    merc16 likes this.
  19. OSUgasman

Oddometer:
    Well, I joined the foray. Found a 2018 Z900RS Cafe with under 600 miles from a older collector. couldn't pass on it and convinced my wife to drive up to NE OH on a "school night" (work night) and allow me to ride it home. 9 hours round trip. Was pretty much awesome. Have done about 400 mixed miles on it in a few rides and it works for me as well as my wife and 18 y/o daughter. Did add the passenger grab rails/back rest which helps them a ton. Only complaint is that the initial roll on throttle is very snatchy and the thing heats up quick, even after highway miles. Was considering the Ivan's ECU upgrade with stock airbox/exhaust. Seems like it should help with both issues..?? Thoughts?
    PXL_20210714_222730397.jpg
  20. OSUgasman

Oddometer:
    FWIW, I did test the T120 Bonneville as well as the newest model (2021 Moto Guzzi V7-III). Just not a fan of the twins in any format.