KC to Newport Beach to Cabo and back. Wahoo!!!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Adventure_Mike, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Adventure_Mike

Adventure_Mike Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This post is dedicated to those that entertained and inspired me for years on this forum including RTWPaul, Radioman, Jamie Z, EvergreenE, Abosit (Old Weed), Brett ('been everywhere man'), flyingdutchman177 (Ed) and all of the other incredible folks who have taken the time to share their adventures. If you are new to AdvRider, ditch this thread and go read their stuff (their names are hot links). Truly epic and inspiring. I stand in the shadows of giants but look forward to sharing this little adventure.

Brief background and plan... Been riding since I was five and done trips all over the U.S. Been to Mexico countless times for work and play but never by motorcycle. Plan is to have heart procedure on May 4th, jump in the car w/ the bike behind on tow vehicle on May 9th and head West with stops in Denver, Albuquerque, Phoenix, Palm Springs, and Ontario before settling into Orange County for a few days to prep for run down to Cabo.

Debated back and forth on the LT vs. the GS but guidance from the doc is I should not hit it too hard after the heart procedure so taking the LT which means mostly highways there and back.

Will share updates on the prep over the next three weeks in advance and throughout the journey. Would LOVE suggestions on places to stay (both towns and hotels), places to eat, and any other suggestions! Current plan is Orange County and pass through at Tecate and then dows to Ensanada. From there to El Rosario to El Rosarita to Punta Chivato to Ciadad Insurgentes and then on to Cabo but open to suggestions!

To those following along, thanks! For those w/ suggestions, mega thanks!
  2. Adventure_Mike

Oddometer:
    Pic from the trial run last year from KC to Ft. Dodge to Durango to Flagstaff and then Vegas. Plan on the same set up from Orange County to Cabo and back.

Attached Files:

Foiler likes this.
  3. Foiler

Foiler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fellow LT rider.
    :lurk
    Adventure_Mike likes this.
  4. Adventure_Mike

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the delay! Been on the mad dash to finish a house remodel in advance of a heart procedure. Current take off day is scheduled for May 9. Planning the following route. Love any suggestions on places to stay, eat, see in each place or recommendations on other places to stay on the route down. OC to Cabo.png
    Bapeter11 and roadcapDen like this.
  5. Adventure_Mike

Oddometer:
    T minus three days before heading to the West coast from KC. Only risk is I had a bulging brake line on the LT and the local BMW shop was in a mad scramble to find one before I take off Sunday. Fingers crossed...

Quick question... any recommendations for lodging with secure parking in or nor Ensanada? I tried Best Western and they are full. Great appreciate any suggestions!
  6. Adventure_Mike

Oddometer:
    Late breaking news! Brake line secured and installed! Taking off Sunday morning and heading West! Wahoo!
    Bapeter11 likes this.
  7. jstruman

jstruman AZCITGRWR

Oddometer:
    try the Villa Fontana Inn in downtown Ensenada. Close to everything, safe and good prices last time we were there 5 years ago. Be sure to go to Hussong's bar late in the evening. Tourists are gone, mariachis are playing and it's classic Mexico. Mask up, 'cause there's covid in Mexico. Safe trip - I'm envious.
  8. Adventure_Mike

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the recommendation! Will check out. I am stoked. Been to Mexico 100+ times for work and play but first time to ride down the Baja. Thanks again!
  9. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Procedure go ok?
    T- can't wait...
  10. Adventure_Mike

Oddometer:
    Thanks for asking! Sore and doc says to sit on my arse for two weeks but I figure driving across the US and jumping on bike and riding for five days counts as 'sitting'! As far as the procedure they say it went really well and fingers crossed this solves the problem and I am done w/ docs/meds, etc. Will post loaded rig later today. Stoked!
  11. Krider1

Krider1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm in have a great time wish I was going I'm three years and three month from early retirement if all goes well.
  12. Adventure_Mike

Oddometer:
    Thanks and Good luck with retirement plan!
  13. Adventure_Mike

Oddometer:
    Loaded up and heading West! Special shout out to Mike Jones and the team (Ed, Robert, Tony) at Engle Motors in Kansas City for doing some gymnastics to get me out and on the road. Have worked with these guys for years and they always do great work and are reasonable.

Rolling West thru Thursday where I will drop the SUV and trailer and start my way South. Appreciate folks weighing in with suggestions and recommendations!
    rig.jpg
    Bapeter11 likes this.
  14. German

German Ich liebe Bayrischen Mist

Oddometer:
    +1 on Engle Motors. I surely miss them.
    The best of luck to you on your adventure and I look forward to hearing more about your trip.
  15. Adventure_Mike

Oddometer:
    Quick update... couch surfing across the US and seeing great old friends along the way. Crashed first night south of Denver in Elizabeth, second night in Albuquerque I took a friend up the tram as thanks for place to crash and rolled into Phoenix yesterday via Payson. Heading up to Lake Pleasant and then over to Palm Springs where I will crash tonight and then off to Ontario, CA to drop the rig and trailer and start to work my way South. A couple of shots from the run so far. IMG_4523.JPG
    IMG_4535.JPG IMG_4561.JPG
    overlander and Bapeter11 like this.
  16. Adventure_Mike

Oddometer:
    Feel terrible asking this but there was an awesome post with an aerial image of the Tecate Crossing w/ steps and also requirements and after an hour of searching I cannot find it. I am trying to double verify everything I need and get it done before Saturday. Does anyone have a link to the post and/or can comment on requirements/process. HUGE thanks!
  17. overlander

overlander Gravel Travel Tours Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hope you were able to get Mike at Engle Motors to brief you on some good Baja points of interest. He and I have been there a few times and have so many stories! None of which are true, though! I know his favorite crossing is Tecate for sure. Nothing special to do other than get your tourists card and insurance.
  18. Adventure_Mike

Oddometer:
    Nice to meet you!!! I love Mike and he supplied me w/ a Baja books and his maps. His team also did some backflips to get a brake line in for me on short notice as I had a rear that was bulging. My plan is down the 1 and back up the 3 and as many great suggestions as Mike had I am always open for more!!! I am on the LT for this run so I have to on the street but if you have (or anyone else?) has suggestions on places to eat, lodging, etc. or even route, I am wide open! Current plan is to cross at Tecate and then stop first night a bit south of Ensanada and then down thru EL Rosario for the next night, then on to bahia de los angeles for a night, to Ciudad Constitution for a night before heading down to Cabo. I had hoped to stay at the Best Western in Ensanada but it is full and currently planning to stay in Baja Cactus in El Rosario but haven't booked yet. Thanks!
    overlander likes this.
  19. Adventure_Mike

Oddometer:
    So... I made it So. Cal!! Have a great life long friend who let me store the car and trailer at his place (Thanks O.F. Wolfinbbargers - Best landscaping business in the state!) and then loaded the bike to crash and stage w/ another friend in Orange County (thanks Matt - I'm the ugly one in the hat). Plan to head South starting tomorrow morning!! Wolf.JPG Matt.JPEG
    Sal Pairadice and garfey like this.
  20. Hill Climber

Hill Climber Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tecate crossing is really simple. Stay in the lane furthest to the right. If you get the green light, cruise on through and ask an immigration officer where to get your "visitors visa or card". The immigration office (Migracion) should be on your immediate right. I highly recommend you don't do the visa process online... you still have to stop in to have it stamped, so to avoid any confusion, just get it at the Migracion office. Request a 180 day visa, and aqsk specifically if they still don't require you to return the visa (FMM = Forma Migratoria Múltiple) upon exiting Baja.
    You might be flagged/pulled over for inspection... no big deal if you don't have any knives, guns, ammo or illegal drugs. Good time to ask where Migracion is located.

Insurance.... you need Mexican vehicle insurance...a legal requirement... you're US insurance doesn't cover you in Mexico.
    A lot of inmates here (including me) get their insurance online at https://www.bajabound.com/
    Choose your policy, pay online, print your documents and you're good to go.

Another point is the times the crossing is open... I'm unsure of the times but I know they close early, like early afternoon, so get there before noon.

A bit of advice for fuel... at El Rosario, fill up as the next gas station is Villa Jesús María (200 miles) or Guerrero Negro (220 miles)

Stay safe and enjoy your ride!