Keep my -18 1200 GSA or buy the new 1250 GSA

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Glennswe, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Glennswe

Glennswe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have been thinking a lot lately and can't decide what to do, can you guys come with some
    wise comments please? I am very happy with my current bike and also with my -14 GSA that I had before. I testrode the 1250 and was deeply impressed of the more soft engine. But, some farkles doesn't fit and gonna be some work of course to fix it. Fun no worries but well well.
  2. Bikerboy108

Bikerboy108 Pat from Jersey

Oddometer:
    You Sound like my doppelganger ..last year had my 18 ( had a 14 before that) rode my buddies 1250 .. yes a "little " smother and torqueier , especislly in 0-35...A the end of the day I love my 18 and felt they were running this engine/trans/rear in some form or other for 6 -7+ years with virtually NO issues.. so i'm sticking with the 18... but in a year or two I'm sure I'll start thinking about it

On the other hand if the itch is too great and you got the resources to sctatch it ..go for it
  3. krussell

krussell Gravel Warrior Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you could keep riding it.

I was very happy with my 2018, but ended up on a 1250 that I'm very happy with as well. $ wise, it made no sense. But $ wise I should have stuck with my 08 VStrom.
    Gymbo, J-Dash, SPX and 7 others like this.
  4. Wildmtn

Wildmtn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Buy the 1250, stimulate the economy and provide a pre-farkled 18 for someone to enjoy!
    NxtGoRnd, Frank smith and mtbenson like this.
  5. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist More Gelände less Straße

Oddometer:
    I'd say you should keep what you've got and wait for next gen due in couple of years...
    :thumb
  6. texas123

texas123 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    6 months ago, your bike was one of the best adventure bikes available.
    240ADV, x32792, falcn and 2 others like this.
  7. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Buy a new one. That's the only way that I can justify buying the depreciated models, after all.
  8. krussell

Oddometer:
    Today, his bike is one of the best adventure bikes available! :-)
  9. Callisto224

Callisto224 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did a test ride on a 2018 and decided that it was a great bike.

But not great enough to trade in my 2009 that I love and have farkled just the way I want it!
    going south, regnaDkciN and CheapB like this.
  10. bgillie

bgillie Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bike to bike, what do you think it will cost you to switch, all things considered - depreciation, replacement farkles, etc.? Will it be $5k, $10k, more? Then, ask yourself if an updated engine is worth that much to you.
  11. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did this analysis and it would cost me a fortune to trade my '14 GS for a 1250. I really like my current bike and its set up for on/off-road touring, plus I put a Tractive suspension in it, which is far better than what would come on a new 1250.
    240ADV, going south and Frank smith like this.
  12. Glennswe

Glennswe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well I fell for the 1250 and got a very good price for mine, getting it in some days :-) About farkles, some are for sale and some suits on the 1250 also.
    Mine is sold stock because you don't get any money for farkles sad enough.
  13. tentative_rider

tentative_rider Wanna Be On Gravel

Oddometer:
    B5CC8799-B410-433B-AC0F-9210FFFA03EA.jpeg Coming from 2016 GSA (and 2007 before that).

You made the right choice!

Ride it stock!

TR
    rauchman, Berardi3 and Glennswe like this.
  14. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you can afford it and like modifying a new bike during your Winter, do it. No shame and no judgement here. You'd be spending quite a bit of money on the upgrade for very little added functionality.

if your 2018 is in the shop often and the warranty is soon running out, that's more of a reason as the bike itself isn't reliable. If Petrol in Sweden saves you enough money where the 10% fuel economy gains translates to real cash, also a reason. If the VIN of a 1250 saves you insurance money over your 2018, more reason. If most of your mods carry over and you do the work yourself instead of asking a dealer to do it, then you save even more.

Fire up Excel and decide if an upgrade is right for you.
    xcountry41 and Glennswe like this.
  15. krussell

Oddometer:
    I once considered myself a master in the art of purchase justification, but suggestions like this one make it abundantly clear that I have much more to learn. :D

Here's to hoping there's another alleged 10% fuel economy gain on the 2020 models!
  16. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd say though that if he's riding 20000 KM a year at $4-5 a gallon and his upgrade price is only $5K Euro, it puts him closer. yeah, he's paying 5.689 a gallon in Sweden according to an internet search.
    krussell likes this.
  17. wellcraft

wellcraft Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you're satisfied with your current ride why trade the 2018 and take a loss on depreciation unless you absolutely believe the 1250 is a far superior bike? What farkles don't fit? I thought the 1250 was essentially the exact same bike other than the engine? I'm happy enough with my 2018 GS that I doubt I would trade it in on a 1250 GS, I'm due for a software upgrade within the next two weeks so I'll probably take a 1250 demo out for a few hours while my GS receives the software updates. Good luck with whatever you decide I don't think you can go wrong with either bike.
    Glennswe and AdamChandler like this.
  18. side-burn

side-burn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m terrible at this. I would buy the bike for the engine alone.

I would de-farkle your current ride and move them to the new bike though where possible.
    tentative_rider likes this.
  19. krussell

Oddometer:
    This right here is the root cause of the whole 1250/1200 dilemma. Today, your riding the perfect bike. Then do something crazy like test ride the 1250 when it becomes apparent that you are riding the previous generation of the perfect bike. It's so effective that it's surprising to me that dealers don't offer to pay qualified buyers to test ride the 1250.
  20. side-burn

side-burn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep. That’s what I did and traded in a Triumph the day I rode one.