Keep or sell parts you remove from brand new bike?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Ian-NH, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Ian-NH

Ian-NH Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought a brand new F850 GSA. I will most likely never use the Nav mount or the pannier racks. I’ve already removed the Nav mount and will soon be removing the rear racks.

Should I hang on to these parts for future resale/trade in or will they not really affect trade in?

I guess another question would be in the Nav mount would even have a place to plug in on a bike that didn’t come with Nav Prep.

Thanks

Ian
  2. rcb78

rcb78 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have heard from a few different dealers that they do not add value for ANY add on parts for trade-ins. Even if they did, they would never value them as high as what you can sell them for, at least based on Nada price guides for upgrades. I'd just sell them and be done with it. Do keep all your stock parts that get replaced by upgrades though. If you trade-in this bike in the future you'll want to return it to stock and part the upgrades to cover your loss. Still best to do a private party sale though.
    angustoyou, JimsBeemer and Ian-NH like this.
  3. JimsBeemer

JimsBeemer 2017 R1200GSA Supporter

Oddometer:
    FWIW, I agree with rcb78. Just sell them, you will get more from them that way.
  4. usgser

usgser Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a trade-in the dealer might not care but on a private sale they might just be the deal clincher.
    Tigershark48, brgsprint and dpike like this.
  5. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a dozen boxes of OEM parts. The few times I've sold OEM parts (people seem to hear from posts like this that I keep all of them), I've regretted it. I sold a Volkswagen Downpipe to one person and springs to another and regretted it. Same for OEM shocks for a dirt bike and an OEM headlight bracket. I always need it eventually. When I sell, I take a bike as back to stock as possible because the aftermarket parts I can make 40% back of what I paid if I sell them but if I keep them on the bike, they're essentially worthless.
    angustoyou, nvklr and Ian-NH like this.
  6. Strawdog

Strawdog Strawdog

Oddometer:
    My own experience had very little success selling take off parts OEM , have giving stuff away to those who need. After a few mishaps destroying aftermarket stuff take offs kept me on the road.
    SnoDrtRider likes this.
  7. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    IMO unless the parts you replaced with aftermarket are sought after aftermarket parts the OEM parts may be a selling point. When I purchased my 2013 800 it had quite a few aftermarket parts that I would have added anyway so it was a bonus to me in not needing to add them. That being said do not expect your bike to be with more with the added parts as it is usually a wash. If you spend $2,000 on accessories it does not make your bike worth $2000.00 more than book value.
    ROMAD likes this.