Keeping the wife happy in Alaska

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by B.E. Coyote, Nov 14, 2005.

1. B.E. Coyote

B.E. Coyote (Super-Genius) Supporter

Oddometer:
    Okay, everything has lined up for my once in a liftime trip to AK. I am riding solo up from Virginia doing the Dalton, maybe the Dempster then dropping down to meet the wife who will fly in.

I will almost exclusively camp but will need to do a few motels with her.

On a budget what are the must do's and dont's on the big loop between Fairbanks and Anchorage? I plan on Denali, a day cruise and a day at one of the hot springs.

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance
  2. mitch

mitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well I'll put my 2 cents worth in get a copy of Milepost, I am sure it will help alot.
  3. B.E. Coyote

Oddometer:
    Got the post, seemed kind of like a commercial.

Was kind of looking for a local perspective or maybe info from somone who has done it 2 up and found a romantic B&B or something.

Brian
  4. HackyMoto

HackyMoto TEAM USA GS TROPHY 2012

Oddometer:
    Hi, Becoyote check out Snowrider & Sirby's ride reports some good info. :vardy
  5. MGB

MGB ex. BmwDuc

Oddometer:
    Alaska next year. What are you going to do for 2007?

Marc in Hampton.....
  6. B.E. Coyote

Oddometer:
    Hey Marc, How have you been?

After 2 consecutive big trips I will probably be stuck with smaller rides for the next few years.

I have 2 young ones who aren't ready to really appreciate travel yet so I am going through and crossing off my selfish trips now.
    After Alaska I will probably become adventure daddy and be off to Disney, Yellowstone, Grand Canyon etc.. Might even buy a pop up or RV or something:lol3
  7. Curtisrides

Curtisrides Goat Whisperer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Check on the different places you can go on the Alaska Railroad. I did the same thing you are going to do. Precious Darling flew into Anchorage, we rented a car, did some scenic driving and a day trip on the RR. Real cosey in the car :evil and there are several RR trips combining riding with overnight stopovers. :D She liked all that stuff and went home :cry and I rode around for another two weeks. :D :D
  8. B.E. Coyote

Oddometer:
    ah! now thta's the kind of stuff I was looking for. I never thought of a train ride. She is going to ride 2 up with me a bit but a train might work out.

Thanks,
    Brian
  9. thetourist

thetourist Just passing thru

Oddometer:
    A customer of mine did the train from anchorage to Denali and Fairbanks a couple yr ago. They thought it was a great trip. They're near 70yr old and travel in luxury.
  10. racer

racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you want a little off the pavement adventure, McCarthy is worth the 65 mile dirt and gravel road to get there. Be sure you can do the round trip on one tank of gas though, no gas available after you leave Chitina. Ma Johnson's hotel is a restored gold mine era hotel, pricey though. The town reminded me of Northern Exposure on TV a few years ago. Be sure to make the trip up to the old copper mine, plus there is much nicer accomodations there, but 200 or 300 per night.

The Forks Roadhouse is another gravel road trip, five dollar beer, one dollar bills stapled up everywhere. Its west off the highway between Anchorage and Fairbacks. Talkeetna, just north of Anchorage is quaint with lots of little shops. All the tourist trains stop there.
  11. Elefant 900 Rad

Elefant 900 Rad Hedley Supporter

Oddometer:
    I second the road to Kennecott and McCarthy. I stayed at the Kennecott River Lodge in McCarthy, talked him down from $100 to $75 for the cabin. If you do this, you must go see the Kennecott Mill / Mine site. Also, you must do the Denali Highway. Remember to carry a quality tire plug kit and air pump.

If you have time, the road to Valdez is spectacular, along with stopping at the Worthington Glacier on the way, where you get right up to the glacier with a short walk.

If you want to see photos, go to my ride report......Rad's AAA.

Good luck !! I've been to 49 states, and Alaska has by far the most SPECTACULAR scenery per mile, and you'll meet a lot of great people........locals and tourists both !!

Any questions, you can send me a PM. Be glad to help you out with plans / places to see.

Oh, for a budget, if you motel it, plan on an average of $100 a night for a room. Camping's a lot cheaper, but watch out for the bears........LOL. No, just keep any food or food smelling items away from your tent and bike. Read up on do's & dont's of travelling in bear country. Carrying a hefty handgun is not a bad idea.

Also, I bought the Milepost....it has useful info, and I ripped out the pages I wanted to use, but left them in my luggage at the bike shop. I never needed them !! Reading up on some of the side trips beforehand, did help though.