Keihin Death Barble

Discussion in 'Trials' started by lineaway, Mar 2, 2018.

1. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well 3 weeks ago my carb started to act up just before I rode an event. I survived the day and did not worry too much as the next weekend was working on the National loop. Well along came that Sunday, so I rode the HPTA event at Roswell. The bike was running just a little odd. Second loop I gassed up and it started to die at idle. No worries as a fun event, Garrett and I was just messing around. Well today I got home early and washed the bikes before loading up for our second event of the year. Then I remembered I had forgot to clean the carb.
    Sure enough I rode it around the yard and it had an erratic idle. Cleaned the carb and all was good, so I thought. 5 minutes later it was running even worse. Argh! Not me with the Kehien hex
    Start taking thr carb apart and send Garret to get some security torx tools.
  2. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Needed to take the tower apart.

Attached Files:

3. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    The tower has special orings that you cannot replace, so you do take a chance going in.

Attached Files:

4. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    It seems pretty straight forward just cleaning all the passages out.

Attached Files:

5. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think the whole issue is an air hole that appears to be a constant vent. It could easily become plugged as the smallest orifice in this carb.

Attached Files:

6. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got it back together and it ran great. Too bad it was already dark. I will load up and head to San Ysidro in the early Am . I do carry a spare Mikuni carb. I hope I do not need it.
  7. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    while I had it apart, I put another vent hole in to the float bowl.

Attached Files:

8. Anachronism

Anachronism Lived Too Long

Oddometer:
    @lineaway : How old is the Keihin? How many bikes has it been on?
  9. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just my 16 Beta. This has happened to several guys on this forum who have had to buy new carbs. I have my fingers crossed that I have it fixed. Several importers have replaced carbs under warranty for this issue. You would think after all the years this carb has been around the gaskets would be available.
  10. Norman Foley

Norman Foley Devotee of the Husqvarna Supporter

Oddometer:
    Better trade for a TRS One, with a Dellorto! Or maybe rethink your fuel source?
  11. slicktop

slicktop Long timer

Oddometer:
    Try a smart carb and be done with it.
    No more jetting either.
  12. Anachronism

Anachronism Lived Too Long

Oddometer:
    That's disappointing. All the tricked out factory bikes c/w the Keihin. Does using an inline fuel filter from new make a difference?
  13. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think it is on the air side, from the filter. Everything should be nice and clean. Most of the ones that have been replaced were blown out with air right before they died
    My bike seems to be back to normal, but I have not hit anything big yet.
  14. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Great, my new bike is going to come with a shitty carb. KTM did that to me on my '17 300. This is getting a little annoying.
  15. The Keihin is better. You'll be fine .
    Norman Foley likes this.
  16. Norman Foley

Oddometer:
    Afraid of the Keihin that you loved on your pre-17 KTM? Keihins on my GG and 2 Scorpas have all been fine. My 4T Italian Huskys with Dellorto carbs, can't stand a tiny bit of crap in the gas!
  17. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    My last GG had a Keihin and it was fine. My KTM came with a Mikuni and good luck jetting that piece of crap. I replaced it with a Lectron.
    slicktop likes this.
  18. MATTY

MATTY BORDER RAIDER

Oddometer:
    Que the Rule Britannia Music, And Bring on the old MK1 Amal Concentric . :lol2:lol2No need for all this new fangled modern stuff If in doubt revisit History.
    Norman Foley likes this.
  19. Norman Foley

Oddometer:
    My friend who restores BSA's says the new Amal built with modern alloy is a good carb, compared to its pot metal ancestor.
    MATTY likes this.
  20. MATTY

MATTY BORDER RAIDER

Oddometer:
    Opinion is not all its cracked up to be, i hear quite a few with the exact opposite view . I dont know never seen a new one, but all the flack the old Amals got back in the day and more so now, i did not ever see what they did so terribly wrong they worked and worked well, the mono blocks especially, Concentric did warp if you were dumb enough to swing on the flange bolts to overcome a reused o ring dragging air in .
    This resulting in sticky slide syndrome but all this brought on by brute force and ignorance rather than a fault in the carb.
    I straightened many of them with an oak dowel i turned up in a lathe and a pair of footprint grips and some leather off an old bridal, i think Amals were good i got a set on my 1970 Trident T 150 these were thrown in a bucket of diesel in 1980, and when i fished them out last year a quick strip and clean up and the adjustments duplicated from the strip down and the bike runs great That will do me . .