Kenda K760 Trakmaster II - You get what you pay for

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Mark4931, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Mark4931

Mark4931 Doesn't know what he's doing

Oddometer:
    Everybody is looking for the best tire. We all hear that this tire is great, but that tire is better, and how some brand new rider took his quarter-ton two wheel SUV up Mt. Everest right after he switched to the newest Super Gummy Knife Edge Knob DOT Highway Buster. This is not a story like that.

I decided to get the Kenda K760 after looking at the pictures, seeing that they were more aggressive than the stock tires on my WR250R, and then looking at the price. The choice was made. These tires should work much better than the stock ones! Good news: They do. Bad news: Only sometimes.

I find that they behave just like you would expect on the road; lots of noise and lots of vibration. When turning hard into a corner on the pavement, the side knobs start to squirm and it's a bad feeling. Duh. Don't do that.

In the dirt, the breaking and acceleration seems great. Even in grass and marsh slop they hook pretty well and get through it. Going into a slow or medium turn is when the problems show up. The front likes to wander on the slightest ruts, and the rear will slip out with little notice. Letting the front wander is fine, even if it's a struggle to pull up and out of some ruts. Having the rear slip out is a bit more problematic. I'm guessing the problem is the tread spacing. Great for clearing the tire and digging into the loose stuff, but those big open spaces don't stop the tire from sliding sideways. Wear has been acceptable 600 miles in, as the compound is quite soft and I was expecting them to wear pretty quickly.

Overall, I am lukewarm on this tire. It is better than the stock tires in the dirt, and only a little less capable when riding on the road, but the lack of lateral grip and how badly the front tracks has me looking for a better option. Have you used these tires? What did you think?
    Trail Ryder likes this.
  2. jrcollins3

jrcollins3 Call me Hawk

Oddometer:
    I have used these tires on an Honda XR250L that I had a long time ago. They were great tires on and off road. The problem may be in the air pressure you are running. I used to run these tires at 12 psi (16psi at sanctioned dual sports events). Of course I highly recommend heavy duty tubes. Never had any issues.
  3. telejojo

telejojo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Huntsville Ala. foothills of the Smokey's
    Had a set on my KLR and they were terrible. Took them off as quick as I could...................................
    Trail Ryder likes this.
  4. Mark4931

Oddometer:
    I agree they are sensitive to pressure, I dropped them to 16 front and back off road. That helped, but didn't eliminate the problems. I weigh 220 with gear on for reference.
  5. Chicken Helmet

Chicken Helmet I'm A Stumper™

Oddometer:
    I like the TM-II on the rear and have had good luck with a Scorpion Pro for the front. I never heard anyone rave about the front tire. I know some better riders than me on those kool aid bikes like that combo. @Buzztail @Dr.Z
    Trail Ryder and FlyFishJeff like this.
  6. Buzztail

Buzztail Buzztopian OG Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m no better rider than Chicken, but I hate the fronts. They act exactly as you describe above. I’ve been through probably 30-40 rear TM-II’s and it’s all I run. On my KLX250, XT225, and the other lower powered bikes I’ve used them on I found it very useful to go a bit smaller than stock. Always seemed to help the rear spin up better, and stay planted- at least for me. On bikes with enough Hp to turn them hard they turn into a shovel that seems as if it’ll dig out of anything you get into. Take the front off, throw a Scorpion PRO on there, and try that combo:thumb
    TLDR; Fronts suck. Rears are my favorite tire out there.
  7. Dr.Z

Dr.Z 6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer:
    Rear works great on & off road. Never ran a TMII front because they suck. Have had several of my bikes leaned over quite a bit on the street and felt the rear squirm a bit but they hook. Never had one cause me a low side. :deal I usually run 10-15psi depending on the terrain. For a front, I'm on the Scorpion Pro bandwagon.
    ohgood and Buzztail like this.
  8. Chicken Helmet

Chicken Helmet I'm A Stumper™

Oddometer:
    This dude here tells me, “the TM2 will howl when it stops hooking in a corner, no worries bro!” Lol
    bark sampler likes this.
  9. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    True, the rears do squish around, but even wet I’ve never had one let fly.
    That TM-II, Scorp Pro combo was good enough for passing folks on Sugar Mountain when we over shot the camp ground by fifty miles- give or take
    Dr.Z and Chicken Helmet like this.
  10. Dr.Z

Dr.Z 6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer:
    The leader on that ride was a real asshole. :fpalm good thing he didn't charge a FEE
    Buzztail and Chicken Helmet like this.
  11. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    :lol3
    ohgood likes this.
  12. Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I ride a plated CRF230F. I'm on my fourth rear Trakmaster and am happy with it. It does make some noise on the street, though, if I run it at 12 pounds. Yesterday I tried it at 14 pounds and no noise.

I run a Pirelli Scorpion XCMH on the front.
  13. Mark4931

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I am going to change out the front for sure, but I also have been playing around with tire pressures. For my weight it seems that 16 psi is pretty good on the street, but much too hard on the dirt, and then going down to 14 for the dirt helped a lot, but squirmed quite a bit on the street. Adjusting it is no problem for me so it seems like I'll experiment some more until they are toast.
    Chicken Helmet and Buzztail like this.
  14. cBJr

cBJr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Old thread revival.

I got a set of k760's for my KTM400EXC that a buddy of mine will be riding on a 4.5 day dual sport trip next week. If I had read this thread earlier, I would have skipped the 760 front, but I guess I'm stuck with it now.

My question is in regards to air pressure. I really don't want to worry about pinch flats while out on this trip. At 16psi, will that be a concern? Our ride will be about 30% gravel, 30% dirt roads (not singletrack) and 30% pavement. The other 10% could be anything. I'd like to set him up for success, as he's not a dirt rider at all.
  15. Sideroadrod

Sideroadrod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ran a set my DR 650 a few years back. Seemed OK for me off-road
    , but on the street they wore out quicker than the knees of my prom dates pantyhose. I don't think I got 2500km out of them.

SRR
    Mark4931 likes this.
  16. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    You’ll be fine at 14-16psi I’d imagine, as far as tire selection goes- don’t tell him that his tire is on a mission to kill him, and he’ll likely never know the difference. You said he’s not a dirt rider, so if you tell him that these new tires are like cheating gravity it’ll give him the confidence that he likely needs. He’s not going to ride at a level that’ll show the fronts weaknesses.
    cBJr likes this.
  17. cBJr

cBJr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I just went on a first time shakedown. It was about 30 miles and I was running 22 psi. The last 5 miles I was running consistently at 80 with occasional bursts up to 90 mph. As I pulled into my neighborhood the tire unseated off the rim and the tube was peaking out making it not roll. Anyhow I drug it home and took the wheel off and reseated the tire. When I reinflated it (50 psi) I watched it sit then the tire popped back off the rim slowly and then the tire popped in my face. (I still can’t hear shit.). I inspected the tire and it looks like the sidewall is super weak in one area so I guess the inner structure has failed in that spot. Has anyone seen anything like this before?
    grogger likes this.
  18. Mark4931

Oddometer:
    There's a couple things that could cause this. I would first inspect the wheel itself, is it bent? Does the bead have a good seat? If the wheel is not bent, and is running pretty straight and true, then you can start to look at the tire. Are the cords showing anywhere? Does the bead have any damage in it? Did it get damaged while mounting? If you see anything that seems weird, post a photo in this thread and I can compare it to the tires I took off my bike.
  19. RVDan

RVDan Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have those tires on my XR650L. They scare the hell out of me. They're great for going up hill but feel like they're going to constantly wash out the rest of the time. On the highway I can feel the transition from the center lugs to the smaller outside lugs and it's really uncomfortable.

We had a dual sport even a couple weeks ago and there was a girl on a CRF230L with the same tires and the same complaints.

I'll be trying something else next time.
  20. cBJr

cBJr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As an update to my problem. It looks like what happened was I broke the bead wire in the tire when I was spooning it onto the rim. Honestly, I was being a little lazy during the install and didn't lube the tire at all, and took big bites at a time. I got a new tire and it went on much easier.

Interestingly, the second tire made an unrideable vibration show up. I ended up unmounting the tire and taping wheel weights under the tube inside the rim. I also rotated the tire/wheel to find the best combination of balance before adding the weights.

Here's to hoping they can make it for the next 4.5 days on our ~800 mile dual sport trip.