Kennebunkport Maine ..... Why 1 along the coast up to Canada..Is this the best route in maine?

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by flyingz06, Mar 4, 2018.

1. flyingz06

flyingz06 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Suggestions of sites to see along the way or detours to make to see any sites? I'll have about 5 days.

Thank you!
  2. Dualsport Chic

Dualsport Chic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pemaquid Point/Camden/Rockport/Penobscott Bay Bridge/Old Fort Knox/Bar Harbor - must see stops. Riding Rte one is extremely scenic but takes a very loooooong time. Just beware of that fact as you won't be making any sprints up the coast while following it. Small roads with traffic at points and inlets/peninsulas to navigate around.
  3. Red Card

Red Card Second chances

Oddometer:
    Rt 1 is a beautiful road when not congested with summer time traffic. Camden is well worth the stop. Of course getting a park pass to drive around Acadia National Park and up Cadillac Mt is highly recommended. Just about every summer I rent a coastal cottage on Mt Desert island and I never grow tired of being there.
  4. GirlRyder

GirlRyder Queen of Flugistan

Oddometer:
    +1 for Acadia.. It's on my list for this year. Went in '99 on a different kind of ride. Top of Cadillac Mtn.jpg
    ..atop Cadillac Mountain.
    Racer111v and Red Card like this.
  5. BMgreenmt

BMgreenmt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The coast of Maine is beautiful but I agree with the previous comments about RT1 being congested and slow in the summer.

Attached Files:

wilsonjw42 likes this.
  6. BMgreenmt

BMgreenmt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    DA5E0A64-E9C4-4276-A365-E82E567A89F6.jpeg

Quoddy Head State Park Lubec, Maine. Eastern most point in the US. Once you get this far up, the herds start to thin out......the farther north you go the less people. Needless to say, I like far north!
  7. RoadRider13

RoadRider13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you are going from N to S then any left turn will lead to something interesting. Grab the POI files from POI-factory.com for lighthouses and lobster shacks. Also any small town down one of the peninsulas will likely have a nice harbor. Just remember the old Maniac saying 'You can't get there from here'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. 911

911 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    route one from kennebunk to wiscasset is junk. To many cars.
    north of that it is okay.
  9. Schmokel

Schmokel I got peed on today.

Oddometer:
    I found most of RT1 boring. The airline route or whatever its called on a thumper was a freakin' deathwish. Spent a night in Campobello. I was also on Stud Mill Rd(?) for quite awhile until I ran across a no ATV sign or something.
  10. redrider7202

redrider7202 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Destination of my very first multi-day trip. I forget where I got on RT1 but I rode from MA all the way there in 1 day, just about 400 miles. I don't recommend it. Stop and smell the roses.

Attached Files:

11. Schmokel

Oddometer:
    I didn't care for RT1 at all.

Also, nice pic.
    [​IMG]
  12. 911

911 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    okay
    i see the op is from indiana . so we could suggest better routes for him. to bypass the traffic and still see the good areas of the coast.
  13. Dualsport Chic

Dualsport Chic Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can make time on Route 9 but then have to dive back towards the shoreline to see anything.

Maine is a tough place on a bike in the summer.
  14. 911

911 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    send us some more info about your planned trip and we will try to help with a route
  15. Schmokel

Oddometer:
    Stud Mill Rd. That legal or not? I was on it for quite a bit, but not sure if I was OK. That was a fantastic road to be on though.
  16. 911

911 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yes legal. runs from old town to calais if i remember. looked like endless riding in that area.
  17. Schmokel

Oddometer:
    If it is legal, run that road then. That was terrific riding. Went on for miles.
  18. Kawazacky

Kawazacky Mad Typist

Oddometer:
    I love the airline on a proper bike. Only had the chance to run it twice, once on the GS1200 and once on the RF900R. Both times I had to tell myself to slow down or I'd A. hit a moose or otherwise spectacularly mangle myself or B. Encounter a statie. But the second time, on the RF900R, was on Thanksgiving Day last Nov, with no staties in sight. It was one of the best rides of my life.
  19. Kawazacky

Kawazacky Mad Typist

Oddometer:
    Run Rt. 9 to St. Stephen, then hit the coast. A lot less traffic in NB coastal roads in the summer :)