Kennedy Meadows-Fish Creek Area Info Wanted

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by radbrad511, Jun 18, 2019.

1. radbrad511

radbrad511 Incurable

Oddometer:
    Want to ride Fish Creek Troy Meadows area this weekend. Not finding good info. Are the trails open?
    Any info appreciated.
  2. radbrad511

radbrad511 Incurable

Oddometer:
    Got some answers from the High Sierra Passes thread. Looks like lots of snow still! ADVRider is a great resource, Thanks.
  3. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    The gate on the west side of Sherman Pass is open all winter for snow machines, but snow removal above the snow machine staging area has not been done. Someone was up there last weekend and said that some 4x4 traffic was seen to have gone beyond that. As far as the road from the east up through Kennedy Meadows to Fish Creek, I highly doubt it. The Black Rock Visitors Center site says the area is closed: https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/sequoia/recarea/?recid=79647
  4. radbrad511

radbrad511 Incurable

Oddometer:
    Thank you. Perhaps in a couple more weeks!
  5. black805

black805 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here’s an update:
    Lots of people have been asking about trails and the road to monache. I just spoke to the recreation supervisor and he has confirmed all trails are still closed. Route to monache is closed. Trail work has cleared upwards of 300 downed trees with some crews cutting over 60 trees per day. The Jordan fire reprioritized assets and now two additional fires started yesterday in the area of Rodeo flats (picture)which will continue to tax the resources intended to clear roads and trails.
    The forest service is eager to open the mountain but even in mid June there is still 4 plus feet of snow blocking Sherman pass and many of the high country trails.
    Be patient, consider volunteering with Stewards of the sequoia, (they have a Facebook page) or visit areas outside the closure. Whatever you do, have fun.
    radbrad511 likes this.
  6. Klammer

Klammer Old and Grumpy

Oddometer:
    Single track,desert, surf, water & snow ski Heaven
    Hey Brad, come join us Aug. 9-11 in Kennedy Meadows for Purelicks Ride for life. A lot of the guys you met in 2011 will be there. It would be great to ride with you again.
  7. radbrad511

radbrad511 Incurable

Oddometer:
    Hey Mr. Klammer-

You guys lead a great ride and I have fond memories of Purelick and the rest of your crew! I am scheduled to be in Montana and I am recovering from an injury I received in a SidexSide (stay out of them!).

If anything changes I will be nthere, for sure. Best Wishes- Brad
  8. pceire32

pceire32 Irish

Oddometer:
    Just spent the last 5 days camped at Fish Creek overflow campground. The main Fish Creek Campground & the overflow are open and there is water at the main campground. Most of the other camp grounds around Kennedy Meadows are open. Troy Campground is closed due to water problems. Sherman Pass road is still closed at Black Rock Information Center so you have too come in on Nine Mile Road from the 395. I had the campground to myself for 4 days. All the trails are still closed.:-)
    NSFW, Klammer and Strong Bad like this.
  9. pceire32

pceire32 Irish

Oddometer:
    Troy Meadows Campground opened today. But it has a “boil the water mandate !”. There is good water at Fish Creek campground they have their own underground spring. Also good water at Black Rock Info Center. :-)
    NSFW likes this.
  10. Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The forest service is looking to open the trails on July 4.
    pceire32 likes this.
  11. Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From a July 2019 Stewards of the Sequoias email:

Stewards of the Sequoia volunteer trail crews spent 400 hours over the past past month to clear 195 downed trees in order to open the Kennedy Meadows OHV trails this year. It was made more difficult due to snow drifts blocking trails from the heavy winter with 180% of normal snowpack.

All trails are open now and Sherman Pass Road as well as Nine Mile Canyon are open. Campgrounds are open too.

So come up and enjoy the trails and say a special thank you to Stewards for clearing your trails. Donations are appreciated to help fund Stewards trail projects like this.
    pceire32, Klammer and Davethestick like this.