Kennedy Meadows IV (Kern Plateau) - August 19-21, 2011

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by M1Jeep, Jun 29, 2011.

1. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    the usual suspects!.....:D

thanks...PYYPP.....:lol3
  2. C-Dub

C-Dub Clean Air Hog

Oddometer:
    I'll prolly be there with my RV and my little CR250!:D
  3. r3r3r

r3r3r Wildebeast

Oddometer:
    Sounds awesome - IN! :D
  4. fudgypup

fudgypup Banned

Oddometer:
    In!

I'd love to go back there now that I know what's suitable for the GSA and know where the trails go. Can we put the type of bike next to who's in? I'd like to see who else is bringing a big bike.

It was great riding w/you M1. You're an excellent rider and did great even with those battlewings. I'll have new rubber shortly myself. Was thinking of the Heidenau K60 but that running strip in the center is getting bad reviews for sliding out in loose stuff. Better stick w/the TKC-80s.
  5. NSFW

Oddometer:

randal, too bad you don't have the 250 anymore, that is one good woods bike...:D

good suggestion eric.

tkc yes....:thumb

rich, pls. add the exc 540 next to my name....:evil
  6. M1Jeep

M1Jeep Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the props Eric :beer You sure manhandled that phat GSA...great job! :thumb TKC 80's or that new Kenda Big Block we talked about at camp look good.

Great suggestion. I will start doing that. :D

BTW, pics are uploading to smugmug as I type this :clap
  7. M1Jeep

M1Jeep Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys and gals, if you decide you want in on this ride please include your bike model so we may have a clearer picture as to what bikes will be there :deal Thanks :beer

For those who have already signed up, please PM me your bike's model so I may add it to the list, thanks.
  8. dunerat

dunerat WTF?

Oddometer:
    525 EXC:deal
  9. theGrinch

theGrinch SNF Dream Riders

Oddometer:
    IN! so looking forward to this :rayof
  10. M1Jeep

M1Jeep Long timer

Oddometer:
    What will you be riding?

Also, for those of us riding in please post up so I may add this to the sign up list. Thanks.
  11. r3r3r

r3r3r Wildebeast

Oddometer:
    Yep, it was a great bike - and I do miss it after 20 years of riding. The 650 is a bit heavier and tougher to manage in the tight stuff, but it has more grunt and highway capability. Tougher to pick up though... :huh

I'm bringing a XR650L, but will be riding it like a big bike for the most part. I can dabble with the tight, rocky stuff - but I don't want to make a full day ride out of it. (Dragging 350-400 lbs up and down slopes and over obstacles isn't too much fun for me)
  12. C-Dub

C-Dub Clean Air Hog

Oddometer:
    CR250:evil
  13. M1Jeep

M1Jeep Long timer

Oddometer:
    A group of us went up for the 4th of July Campout:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=700536

Thanks to Matt (Rider914) I now have some sweet BIG bike friendly single track routes for the adventurous nOOb :deal

Here's a few pics from this past weekend:

FYYFF and I left Friday at 5pm from Long Beach:

[​IMG]

The plan was to skip the 5 > 14 section and just hit up ACH > AFH and go down to the 14 from there. It shaved off approx 20 miles and was way more fun too. Here's a pic at the intersection of ACH & AFH:
    [​IMG]

We got to camp around 10:30PM and turned in early...no pics.

Perry and Rob, two really good guys who brought extra fuel, fed us and provided us plenty of drink and laughs. Good times fellas!
    [​IMG]

Eric & Ersin (fudgypup & FYYFF) taking a break after running the lower Mahogany trail on their BIG pigs:
    [​IMG]

Sunday we rode some of the sweetest BIG bike friendly single track out there. We came upon a water crossing in between trails and Eric (fudgypup) got a little squirly:
    [​IMG]

Matt (Rider914) on the Granite/Broder Trail:
    [​IMG]

We lost Bob for a while. He was up front and boogied his KLR down the trail and popped up here:
    [​IMG]

The Kern River's East Fork(?) water level was higher than usual but looked to be much higher in week's past:
    [​IMG]

We heard from WoodsChick about this 100 yard long bridge in the middle of a meadow...
    Matt (Rider914):
    [​IMG]

Bob (2old2race):
    [​IMG]

Ersin (FYYFF):
    [​IMG]

While chatting after the bridge crossing Ersin's bike decided to take a nap. By the time I got my camera out these guys jumped into action. These guys are fast!
    [​IMG]

WoodsChick and her hubby Eric passing us on the bridge while we are all admiring the stunning beauty of the area:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ersin's bike decides to go for a swim at the same water crossing where Eric's GSA took a dip. The bike wouldn't start:
    [​IMG]

Eric (fudgypup)
    [​IMG]

Ersin (FYYFF) in deep thought while waiting for the arrival of Matt (Rider914) so he can consult his KTM wisdom:choppa

[​IMG]

Meanwhile a few hundred feet down the single track Bob (MadMax) was having fuel delivery problems with his 990SE. Matt (Rider914) and Bob troubleshooting:
    [​IMG]

Bob was able to get to the water crossing where Matt towed him up to the road, which was very close by:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

While Ersin was working on getting his bike to start Bob and Perry came out of the Albinita Trail. Bob was too quick and I missed him. Here's Perry (pcvance):
    [​IMG]

Well we know how Ersin was able to get the water out of his bike :lol3 (photo credit: pcvance)
    [​IMG]

We all made it back to camp and a few of us are heading home. Here's Bob (MadMax) and Matt (Rider914):
    [​IMG]

Bob:
    [​IMG]

The rest of my photos from this trip may be found here:
    https://m1jeep.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/4th-of-July-Campout/17900616_dDccMf#1369859749_45PM9tv

Thanks again to Matt (Rider914) for putting this on. A huge thank you to Perry (pcvance) and Rob (OrangeBeast) for providing food, drink, and fuel.

The ADV community is the best and you guys and gals are the epitome of goodwill! I love you man! :feelgood

-Rich :beer
  14. Off Limits

Off Limits Banned

Oddometer:
    Definite maybe! And either the wr450 or the dr650.
  15. M1Jeep

M1Jeep Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dive in and ride/camp off the DR :evil
  16. DannyG

DannyG I have the waypoint. Supporter

Oddometer:
    :ear:ear:ear
  17. Scorpion Sports

Scorpion Sports (Now with Motowearhouse.com)

Oddometer:
    Got to get this cleared with work but I am confident enough to say-IN
    (Riding a 530EXC)
  18. Off Limits

Off Limits Banned

Oddometer:
    but im a skeered. its so nice to have a truck there knowing if you break tyour bike you can just drive it home. plus last time i was there we woke up at 4am and it was 34 degrees. we only knew this because the truck had an outside temp guage we were watching while the heater was on! plus how would i get my cooler up there? not to mention a couple gallons of water to clean your balls after riding those trails. plus riding the dr on those trails scare me. the wr was fun last time, but 50miles of singletrack really takes it outta of you. are you riding up? my wife says thats what i bought the bike for, but i just tell her that was my excuse to buy the bike! i dont know, im scared. are you riding up?
  19. M1Jeep

M1Jeep Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ersin and I will be riding up together. You are welcomed to join us. :beer
  20. NSFW

Oddometer:

Hi Randal, though most of the riding in KM are single tracks and for small bikes, there are a few routes that are ok for big bikes. I like the jeep trail to Monache Meadow.

Unless you are fudgypup and fyyff, most trails are big bike doable...:lol3

KM is heaven on earth and open only for several months a year. Unfortunately, not a year round riding.