Kennedy Meadows ride! September 5-7, 2008

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by M1Jeep, May 20, 2008.

1. dunerat

dunerat WTF?

Oddometer:
    the sigle track group encountered downed trees aswell:eek1 tight squeeze:D
  2. RiverRat

RiverRat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great ride! The single track pic look really tough. I can't believe spafixer was on those trails with the huge 950 :huh

Scruffster will be ok. He is taking a little time off and plans to be riding again in OCT :clap

[​IMG]
  3. M1Jeep

M1Jeep Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the introductory pic Joel...that's pretty funny how you got that shot and considering what happened later on...

...as Noel said, there were two groups, I initially went with the fireroad group, but stopped about a 1/2 mile into the departure ride, pulled over and told Bob, "I'm going to go back to the Beach trailhead across from where we took our break."...

...The trail was gorgeous. Tight woods riding with trees cut in the middle to allow passage.

[​IMG]

This trail opens up along the edge for a brief peek of a beautiful meadow (Beach Meadow)...
    [​IMG]

This trail was simply beeeeauuuutiful!
    [​IMG]

KaPow! :jose
    [​IMG]

Along this trail I encountered mostly smooth, easy going singletrack. Once I was at the end of the Beach Trail (34E01) it crossed a dirt road and on the other side was the Albanita Trail (35E06). I looked back at the Beach Trail signage and was surprised to notice that it was a black diamond trail.:lift I thought to myself that it wasn't too bad. One large rocky section and the rest wasn't too scary. The Albanita trail across from me had an intermediate difficulty designation, was a section of about a 1/3 of a mile and it would run back into this same dirt road. So I thought what the hell...let's do this mang! :ricky The trail began by dropping down from the pavement into the forest flats. After a minute or two there was a small dried up stream with a brief climb up and out. The trail made a right turn. Here's a pic at this particular point looking at the trail directly behind me...
    [​IMG]

Right after this pic, I packed my camera back into its case and continued forward, at least thats what I inteded to do. I hit a large rock that was laid across the trail, DR650 skid plate bottomed-out on the left-edge and bounced my ass off the bike and over the edge of the trail. I rolled down about 10 feet, breaking through branches and bouncing over rocks. I stopped with the back of my helmet smacking a rock. The bike had shut-off and I rushed over to turn the fuel petcock off...
    [​IMG]

I thought to myself, "Damn, I'm going to miss the F-ing carne asada taco dinner! This shit can't be happening to me, not now!" :cry I tried turning the bike upright, but it slid down about 5 feet more and was just too damn heavy for it to budge. :knary I heard a vehicle pass on the road above me and figured I was pretty close to the end of the trail so I decided to go for a walk to see exactly how far I was from the dirt road. As I got closer to the dirt road, I heard a bike coming my way and was surprised to find out it was Jeff, Roger, and Jerry! "Am I glad to see you guys!" :bow

[​IMG]

We man-handled my DR650 on up the hill pretty much in no time! Thanks again Jeff, Roger, and Jerry for saving my sawwy ass! :asshat

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We ended up sticking together and heading back to camp for some carne asada tacos! Moral of this story is to never go out alone on singletrack. There is little room for error and a higher chance of injury! "DUH!" :dunno

I'm grateful it all worked out and I didn't have to spend the night with the bears. It was one heck of an exciting way to end a sweet weekend of riding! :ricky :beer :dg :freaky
  4. M1Jeep

M1Jeep Long timer

Oddometer:
    Aw man! Thanks for pointing that out. I guess I programmed the wrong date when I dropped in new batteries.

5. M1Jeep

M1Jeep Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's good to hear. Thanks for the update on Scruffy.

6. Zen Slug

Zen Slug Spineless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1
  7. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:

Rich, you could also say it this way........

"Moral of this story is to take a small bike, not a heavy DR650, on single track. "DUH" :lol3

Those bastids on mx bikes definitely had a blast! :deal

No worry getting stuck, while we were at camp and worried about your absence, we were spinning the bottle to get a crew to do a S & R....
  8. dunerat

dunerat WTF?

Oddometer:
    i think i speak for all of us..WTF:huh
  9. M1Jeep

M1Jeep Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lol3 Sh*t happens!

10. NSFW

Oddometer:

Cathy, sorry to hear about your tranny :cry, but glad you made it home :D. Time to get a Super Duty Power Stroke 350! :deal

On my way home, I took Sherman Pass, that's just as bad, all downhill and lots of curves...spent most on 2nd gear. It was a slow 20 to 30 mph and there wasn't even anyone if front of me. The 200 mile drive home took me 4.5 hours, excluding lunch stop.

If I was on a bike, the Sherman Pass is the way to get up there and down, my driving time will be surely less.
  11. Klammer

Klammer Old and Grumpy

Oddometer:
    Single track,desert, surf, water & snow ski Heaven
    Noel thanks for showing my best side!

Klammer (Rich):ken
  12. NSFW

Oddometer:

+1 :jack

i noticed......................purelick, luv2race and broken spoke x-ray visions were on and seem to be enjoying the sight :kat

[​IMG]

i'm a little disoriented here.....how come the bike is facing the other way???????????????
  13. Luv2putt

Luv2putt RETIRED!!

Oddometer:
    We rode a few circles around him, then parked :D

14. NSFW

Oddometer:
    and you got lucky getting the front row seat with unobstructed view :lol3

you're almost there......within arms reach....:lol3
  15. Luv2putt

Luv2putt RETIRED!!

Oddometer:
    What goes on at KM stays at KM :ymca :wink:

16. Ben99r1

Ben99r1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yup. Maybe Ill tell you what I did to you when you fell asleep. :wink:
  17. M1Jeep

M1Jeep Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lol3 Hahahhahahaahaaaa! :whip

18. Klammer

Klammer Old and Grumpy

Oddometer:
    Single track,desert, surf, water & snow ski Heaven
    John, you want your glove back?:eek1

The Klammer (Rich)
  19. Luv2putt

Luv2putt RETIRED!!

Oddometer:
    Yes, and Ben, you give me back my other one :lol3

20. NSFW

Oddometer:
    DR has to buy a bigger BBQ grill just for this event :clap

[​IMG]

genuine east l.a. meat, less barking in dr's neighborhood! :lol3
    [​IMG]

hanging out and waiting for the carne asada
    [​IMG]

m1jeep about to rip a big one....:eek1
    [​IMG]

this FF has a camera and smugmug account, yet didn't post a single picture...:wave

[​IMG]
    john we'll all be waiting:lurk

it's comforting to see kobe still wondering in the background :nod
    [​IMG]

after we agreed to send out the guys to look for the missing m1jeep, someone conveniently took off his riding boots :photog
    [​IMG]

i wonder what's in rhinoeater's mind, was it the tortilla? he's the guy in the middle wearing black shirt with the baseball cap :lol3
    [​IMG]

all smile for rhinoeater now
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

the host and hostess were slaving away for over an hour while the rest are :bubba :dg and:dutch
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

brokenspoke made one big wrap :tb
    [​IMG]

jerry and kobe imagining there was a fire in the pit :lol3
    [​IMG]

since IT IS ILLEGAL TO HAVE A CAMP FIRE at the OVERFLOW, luv2race decided to dig for old cigarette butts :wink:
    [​IMG]

and eggroll built a wood castle and hid some fortune cookies...........we noticed he doesn't like boxers :lol3
    [​IMG]

and in no time....dannyG found the cookies and now reading his fortune
    [​IMG]

only eggroll knows what's on dannyg's future
    [​IMG]

dang...it was a cold night....ben looks beaten up after riding with the experts :eek1
    [​IMG]

you could tell, it was cold.......brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    [​IMG]

and we brought all those firewood for nothing :becca
    [​IMG]

scruff's day didn't end well but quite happy to hang out with the FFs
    [​IMG]

but we got plenty of booze and ben swaying for more
    [​IMG]

all bundled up and still cold...at 3am it was like 35°F
    [​IMG]

we ended shooting the breeze around 2PM

next morning was another beautiful day, time to get up rich :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

all the excess eating and drinking eventually ended up here :lol3
    [​IMG]

again....thanks rich, noel, cathy and all the ffs for coming and making this event one of the best rides this year! :thumb

see you all next year......THE 2ND WEEKEND AFTER LABOR DAY!