Kennedy Meadows ride! September 5-7, 2008

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by M1Jeep, May 20, 2008.

1. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Double that size by the time we get about a week closer to the ride.:evil
  2. 666

666 Agnostic and Orange

Oddometer:
    May be even more. I pmed you long time ago and posted in the thread as well, but no me in the list.
    BTW we have met at DVDaze 2007. I had weestrom back then.
  3. Ben99r1

Ben99r1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    These days you need 3 month to save up for gas. :eek1
  4. M1Jeep

M1Jeep Long timer

Oddometer:
    :doh I wonder WTF happened?! I must've had a brain fart or something. You're now on the in list amigo. I wasn't at DVDaze 2007...was at 2006 though...my clutch cable snapped on Saturday afternoon coming down Piute Mtn. :cry Ever since I now carry a spare...enter Don on his DR350 @ the Big Bear Bash! :lol3

-Rich from LB

5. M1Jeep

M1Jeep Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah...these fuel prices are really F-ing sickening aren't they?! :puke2 I'm glad I posted this as early as I did!

6. 666

666 Agnostic and Orange

Oddometer:
  7. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Wannabe Adventure Tourer

Oddometer:
    I'm hopin' to have my XRL redone by then: FCR 41 carb, new springs front and back, fork brace, new Excel rims, new side racks. This should be a great first ADV ride after the makeover.:deal
  8. NSFW

Oddometer:
  9. NSFW

Oddometer:
    Holy smoke! DH, you're really serious and big $, what about waterproofing the bike? :lol3

I did the front fork springs on my XR and if you want to save some $, I can help you do it. :wink: It's really easy, and while we're at it, we can do the tires and balance it too, everything in my garage.
  10. 2old2race

2old2race I wana ride

Oddometer:
    I did that to my xr4, way cheaper than buying a new bike and still indestructible :thumb
  11. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Wannabe Adventure Tourer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I decided to put some $ into the XRL rather than sell it and join the orange team. I figure I got a lot more drops in me and the XRL is cheaper to fix.:lol2 The KLX is for sale to finance the upgrades.

I'll totally take you up on helping me do the forks.:thumb
  12. M1Jeep

M1Jeep Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. NSFW

Oddometer:
    Looks like M1Jeep has fallen asleep...anyway just a reminder to all.

The KM ride is on the 5th of September! :deal Mark your calendar....

Hopefully by then, I have an electric starter on my XR400R! :clap
  14. Sasquatch2112

Sasquatch2112 Old Angry White Guy (OAWG)

Oddometer:
    Joel,

As the ride gets closer you might want to have someone check on the status of the fire that is burning in that general area. I keep kearing from buddies in Ridgecrest that there are fires up in that area.

My work schedule is too fluid for me to know if I can make it. As it gets closer I'll drop in again.
  15. Moraflex

Moraflex Banned

Oddometer:
    I'll should be up in KM on the weekend of the 25th this month. Actually Monanche meadows. Drop on by.
  16. monkeytrick

monkeytrick good ride good times

Oddometer:
    I'll be up there this weekend.

Fire info taken from:
    http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/news/2008/06/clover-update630.shtml

Bishop, June 30, 2008

Clover Fire Update 6/30/08

Fire Information: www.inciweb.org or 760-376-3781 Ext. 699
    cloverwfu@gmail.com

Sequoia National Forest: http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sequoia/news/

Today's Weather:
    Temperature: 73-78° F
    Winds: South 7-10 mph
    Relative Humidity: 9-14 %

SMOKE: Smoke is a concern for the Kennedy Meadows, Kern River Valley, Olancha and the Hwy 395 corridor traveling north. California is plagued with 45 uncontained wildfires that continue to cause smoky conditions for residences and firefighters.

Clover Fire Activity
    Location: Sequoia and Inyo National Forests in the South Sierra Wilderness, north of Kennedy Meadows and south of Beck Meadow, California.

Acreage: 15,262 acres. - 50% Contained

Status: The forecasted fire weather watch ended at 8:00 pm last night as the system moved east of the fire area. There was little active spread of the fire last night. Today firefighters will concentrate on holding the fire on the south flank and keep it from moving towards the Kennedy Meadows community. Firefighters continue to construct handline, improve existing handline, and mop up interior hot spots with the aid of water-dropping helicopters. Steep rugged terrain, dry fuels and higher temperatures continue to hamper firefighter efforts.

Johnson's Type 2 Incident Management Team is managing the Clover Incident

Some firefighters and support personnel are being reassigned from the Clover Fire to assist on the Piute Fire burning south of Lake Isabella in the Piute Mountains of the Sequoia National Forest.

Committed Resources:

5 helicopters
    16 handcrews
    6 engines
    1 dozer
    Total of 513 personnel assigned
    New Fire: As of 6:00 am today, the Piute Fire is reported as 2,560 acres and burned actively throughout the night. Extreme fire behavior and long-range spotting up to 1.25 miles was observed. Road closures include Piute Mountain Road, Saddle Springs Road and Cold Springs Road. Evacuations were put in place for forest visitors at Brown’s Meadow fire safe area and some seasonal cabins at French Meadow. An evacuation advisory notice was issued to residents in the Claraville area. An Evacuation Center has been opened at the Senior Citizen’s Center in Lake Isabella.

Pacific Crest Trail Information
    A temporary fire area closure has been issued through July 8, 2008, to maximize fire suppression efforts and to provide for public health and safety. The closure affects portions of the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT). Kennedy Meadow Campground is within this closure area. Alternate hiking routes around the fire are available to connect to the PCT from Kennedy Meadows to Monache Meadow which includes Jackass Trail (35E13), Albanita Trail (35E06), Jackass Peak (35E03), Snake Creek Trail to Monache Jeep Trail (34E38). Trails will be signed "PCT Detour". A trail guard remains on duty at Kennedy Meadows

Please contact the Kernville Ranger Station at (760) 376-3781 or visit the Forest website at: www.fs.fed.us/r5/sequoia for more specific information on the closure.

Important Internet Links
    View South Sierra fire areas by Webcam http://sierrafire.cr.usgs.gov/swfrs/Pages/WebCam.html

Real Time Smoke Monitoring

http://www.satguard.com/USFS/chart_new.asp?Get=1&UnitID=45&CustID=2&sDate=6-21-2008
  17. DannyG

DannyG I have the waypoint. Supporter

Oddometer:
    i'm thinking about going this weekend 2.... were are you going 2 camp?

18. NSFW

Oddometer:
    You've been quiet lately :cry , don't miss the WMRS and Kennedy Meadows, these 2 rides are highlights! :thumb

Thanks for the head's up!
  19. Oni

Oni Ronin

Oddometer:
    You have a tire changer and balancer?

Man, I just busted my knuckles this weekend changing tires. I HATE changing tires. :lol3 'Course being 100 degrees out didn't help any either. :huh
  20. NSFW

Oddometer:
    Took the plunge and got myself a NoMar, including the balancer. Artboy and I put a front TKC on his GS a few weeks back. Did the 640A and put on new Saharas.

After doing several tires, I realized that all I need is a bead breaker (it came with the tire changer), a set of Motion Pro 16" long irons, and a balancer. The tire changer itself is a waste, it is meant for street tires, not knobs. I have to buy the dirt tires adapter to make it work.

The balancer is a charm, and a must have!

Come over after a Saturday ride, and we'll put on new shoes on yours.