Kentucky 500 - 3 day tour

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States' started by andy29847, Aug 15, 2014.

1. andy29847

andy29847 Dirt Road Rider

Oddometer:
    The Kentucky 500 is a 3 day tour based almost completely on tracks developed by "Jeff@attheQuadShop" for the Kentucky Adventure Tour. I sliced and diced the KAT in Basecamp to make a shorter ride. I have been in contact with Jeff to make sure he is OK with this version.

Jeff wrote this about these roads:

Post your comments, ride report links and if you run into any issues here.

Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1514773458758190/

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. andy29847

Oddometer:
    North Georgia has the banjo music, AKA "Deliverance,

Arizona has "Breaking Bad,

Kentucky has "Justified",

<EMBED type=application/x-shockwave-flash height=315 width=560 src=//www.youtube.com/v/cco-pCb0klU?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0 allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></EMBED>
  3. andy29847

Oddometer:
    Here's a map that shows the KY500 and the KAT.

KY500 is blue

KAT - all the parts that aren't on the KY500 are Green.

Red tracks are hard sections as per KAT.

[​IMG]
  4. rockland213

rockland213 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are all these roads and trails still open? Me and three others will be travling to Slade Thursday and doing the 500 over the weekend.
  5. andy29847

Oddometer:
    All of the dirt road tracks are from the Kentucky Adventure Tour and should be open. The hard spots may be really hard, especially if wet. Nobody has posted stories And pics from the KY500. Youse guys have fun and share what you find with the rest of us.
  6. rockland213

Oddometer:
    Could you give us a idea of where the hard spots are ?
  7. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    Define hard, the answer will be different for different people. There is a bunch of off pavement sections on the KAT that can get more difficult if it's been raining. For the most part, if you stay off the sections that's marked hard you should be ok if you have some off road experience and your using a good set of aggressive tires.
  8. rockland213

Oddometer:
    We should be good then,we are a bunch of dirt bikers on Big Adventure bikes . Is there any deep water crossings on the west part of the ride?
  9. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    Not that I can think of unless we get a bunch of rain.
  10. andy29847

Oddometer:
    Youse guys asking about "hard spot" should read post 1 carefully.
  11. rockland213

Oddometer:
    Were not doing the Red tracks,
  12. rockland213

Oddometer:
    Just got back from the KAT 500 I was on a KTM 950 And there was a KTM1190 and a Triumph tiger 1200. We stayed at the the RV park in Renfro valley on Thursday night and started the ride from just south of there at the limestone caves Friday morning. We hit some cool gravel heading to S-tree campground where the track log starts for the day. After many turnarounds we finally got on the trail and after the first water crossing we lost it ,the gps was telling us to go thru impassable briers,so we did some hiking and found a lane that would put us back on track if we stayed in the very rocky bottom feeder creek. After the creek bottom we did some very cool long up hill climbs witch took us to some gravel road. Then shortly after passing what looked like some hippy community in the middle of the woods, I got a flat on the rear I was in the back so by the time the other two realized I wasn't there and came back for me I had the bike un packed and the rear wheel off. After fighting the tire off the rim and finding a (snakebite) in the tube we thought I just pinched it on the rocks, so we patched the holes and re-installed the tube only to find a fence staple in the tire. Anther patch and re assembly and we're back on the trail. Then after going around 5 miles I had another flat, so this time were in the hot sun and elect to put my buddy's extra tube in and we're back on the road in no time. Shortly after when we were going thru McKee I got that uneasy feeling,yes another flat.(Bad tube dry rotted) One of the guys in the group went straight to the parts store and returned with a brand new tube. We asked him if they had another so he went back and they did.:clap
    After having 3 flats it's getting late and we're only half way thru the firt day track our leader decides to skip some trail and just do some cool blacktop to get us to Hazard. We were all tired and decided to stay at the Daniel Boone hotel rather then camp in the hot sun . The hotel has a very good Ribeye stake .
  13. rockland213

Oddometer:
    Day two was starting out to be a turn around fest in town till we found the trail once on the track we did some cool roads and gravel . We got lost and did some roads that were for the gas wells then we ended up on Steel house lookout road ,this was a very cool curvy narrow road with great views of the valleys bellow. We ended up on some trail system and was sharing the trails with side by sides and 4 wheelers , you should have seen there faces when they saw these big pig bikes come up. Finishing the day up in Jellico we decided to eat at the pizza spot on the east side of 75 (very good) :1drink and stay at the Days Inn.
  14. rockland213

Oddometer:
    Day 3 had some of the best gravel roads of the trip and it just seemed to never stop . We did get to do some tight iffy sections on the big bikes on Sunday and went thru some hunting cabins,as we were deciding what way to go I got off my bike there was air coming from my back tire ::eek1 so we found the nail and put the new tube in and was back on the road in quick time after the 4th flat . About 6 miles down the road you guessed it 5th flat:cry after taking the tube out it had a very small hole where the valve stem was glued on . So we patched the old tube and put it back in . As we were Finnishing up Ed from Alabama on a GS pulls up . All 4 of us ride some river bottom that's very hard to stay up in and do some more gravel roads we finally Finnish the day in Livingston KY and take Ed to Renfro valley so he can find a place to stay . We travel north to Richmond and stop to get something to eat and decided to camp at Boonesborough campground (not recommend) very loud highway noise.
    We had a ball and plan to do the ride again on smaller bikes and just stay in hotels .
  15. 2touradv

2touradv 2touradv

Oddometer:
    Hey this is Ed from Alabama had a blast in the creek bed, sleep good that night. Thanks for letting me ride along. Got monsoons Rains the next day. Pretty much killed my off road riding. (Being by my self ) So I headed to Red River Gorge road through Nada tunnal pretty cool. Then followed gps tracks back to Jellico great ride. Thanks Jeff.
    Ran into a big O timber Rattlesnake. Luckily I had my gopro and 6' extendable pole, coolest video I ever made.
  16. rockland213

Oddometer:
    Ed you need to post the video . Good to here you made it ok ,did you get do do the steel house lookout road? It was a very narrow paved road with great views and lots of turns. It was south of Hazard. PM me your number and maybe we can meet up another time and ride the whole ride
  17. woodly1069

woodly1069 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the quick write up, it's always nice to hear how others view the tracks...especially on big bikes. This weekend a few of us are going to ride the KAT...well at least some of it and I can't wait!
  18. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    Nice!!!
  19. BrokenHalo

BrokenHalo Squid Racer

Oddometer:
    Is this file being updated as the KY Adventure tracks are?
  20. woodly1069

woodly1069 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Earlier this summer a few of us tried to ride the KAT and got rained out, I can tell you for sure if there have been rains on the western side of the loop there is NO WAY you would get through there with a boat! Just a few weeks ago a buddy and I set out to pick up where we left off. All I have to say is that must be some sort of Bermuda Triangle for me down there...nice riding though