Kentucky 500 - 3 day tour

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States' started by andy29847, Aug 15, 2014.

1. BikeRiderOH

BikeRiderOH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Woodly, the same thing happened to us in September when the rains came back. Some of the sections were even hard to stand up let alone on a 500+lb bike! Wished I would have found this 500 mile option as I would have opted for it.
  2. andy29847

andy29847 Dirt Road Rider

Oddometer:
    The file has not been updated this year.
  3. veatch84

veatch84 Something Clever

Oddometer:
    Earlier this year a group of us did the Western section of the KY500 (McKee down to Jellico and back) and loved almost every minute of it (with the exception of the pavement riding on the southern end of the route). I'm heading back down this week for 3 full days of riding and I'm considering starting in McKee again and heading clockwise this time. I've read that the KAT is full of pavement on the Eastern section, but that this route knocks a lot of that out.

Does anyone have any insight on what the riding is like on the Northern, Eastern & Southern portions of this loop?
  4. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    There is lots of off road on the eastern side of the KAT.
  5. BrokenHalo

BrokenHalo Squid Racer

Oddometer:
    Hope I'm not stepping on any toes here. But, here's a gpx file I put together that combines Jeff's original KAT tracks and the 500 tracks. This includes Jeff's updated tracks as of 10/14/2015. It shows the KY500 tracks as KY500 Alt#. It also includes some additional waypoints I added.

Use at your own risk.

Updated with 1/30/2016 KAT update.

Attached Files:

i4bikes and andy29847 like this.
  6. andy29847

andy29847 Dirt Road Rider

Oddometer:
    That is good work. Thanks for the update. I had big plans for this when I made the first post. It hasn't worked out for me. Feel free to make other updates as you see the need.
  7. sierrastone

sierrastone Adventurer

Oddometer:

Would love to do this ride. I've done the Renfro Dual Sport Ride in May. Rode my KTM EXC. Would you take a Ducati Mulitstrada on these tracks. I might skip the river bed.
  8. BrokenHalo

BrokenHalo Squid Racer

Oddometer:
    Ducati and offroad just don't go together for me! LOL But, when I hear Ducati I think super bike and Italian super model!

That being said, I think with good tires and in the right hands the main route (not the Hard sections) would be doable. It would be a hoot on the asphalt sections! I'm just trying to think if there are any sections where ground clearance might be an issue, prolly not.

@Jeff@TheQuadShop could prolly better answer your question.

Also, make sure that this modified version is current with any updates Jeff has made to the route.
    sierrastone likes this.
  9. B-Mac

B-Mac Aged Beef Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, Yes, Yes. I would slap a set of mitas 07 tires on and a bash plate. How about End of May-early June.
  10. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    Can it be done? Yes like BrokenHalo said, on the main loop with a good set of KNOBBIES, at least a skid plate and lots of off road experience on big bikes. However, I think you will enjoy the ride much more if you take the EXC!
    sierrastone likes this.
  11. sierrastone

sierrastone Adventurer

Oddometer:
    sounds like that could be a blast. looking into tires for the multistrada. keep me posted if you guys are serious about it. would like to do the renfro dual sport.
  12. B-Mac

Oddometer:
    I would be be happy to join you on the (kat 500) You will enjoy the east side curvy asphalt on the Multi. I have road the east side twice but not the middle or west. I use Mitas E07 tires as my go to tire. I picked a bad line on a kat water hole with my TC on (:loco) and came to a stop with mud and water poring into my boot's. Turned the TC off and drove right out. They are forgiving and let you know when you are pushing close to the limits on the asphalt. Great 50/50 tire with a strong side wall. There is one other GS guy that may want to go up here from Akron. I am free most of the time. I like to have three day's of dry weather before going down to Kat Trails. Just give a shout if you need a wing man. B.
    sierrastone likes this.
  13. sierrastone

sierrastone Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've seen other threads that are very positive regarding Mitas E07's. Is this tire appropriate for an 80/20 asphalt to dirt/gravel?
  14. B-Mac

Oddometer:
    The E07 is a 50/50 tire. I am not a tire tester but I ride fast street and the 07's have very nice turn in during corners and hold lean angels with little effort. When pushed to limit they give a slight warning that they are about to let go similar to a original Metzlar Tourance. A little more noise. Wet performance will depend on your skill's set.(IMHO) I would not try this Kat trip on a 80/20 shinko 705 or Metzlar karoo but that is just from what I have read on them. They are fine for Asphalt/Gravel but when you start to ride two track trails with mud, water holes, hills and wet rocks you may have your hands full. I use to ride Metzlar Tourance 85% On / 15% Off on gravel/light trail and asphalt since 2004 but now the E07 is my go to ADV Tire. You can't buy a bad tire but you can get stuck and fall down with all of them. Get what you need. If conditions get to difficult with your tire choice take the by-pass. All areas can be avoided. Keep researching you will do fine. With all the electrical wizard systems on your bike you should be able to ride on the stock tires.:D I saw the Ducati press release video.:lol2 Brian
    sierrastone likes this.
  15. sierrastone

sierrastone Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great advice! Thanks B-Mac
  16. sierrastone

sierrastone Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bought Michelin Wild 3. Had to put TKC-80's on the front. Look forward to trying a section that I can get used to the bike and tires. Let me know of any planned trips that would be suitable.
  17. B-Mac

Oddometer:
    Are you looking at doing the kat500 in june? I am interested after the 12th. What direction? I like hotels but can camp if group wants to. Whatever works.
  18. sierrastone

sierrastone Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would like to do this. I don't have an opinion on direction. First time would like get through it in one piece. Maybe not having to pack extra equipment would be a benefit?
  19. BrokenHalo

BrokenHalo Squid Racer

Oddometer:
    FYI - The main route was updated this month. Make sure you have the updated tracks from the KAT thread.
    B-Mac likes this.
  20. B-Mac

Oddometer:
    Anyone know how long the middle 500 split from Jackson down to Harlen will take. Will this require a overnight pause at Hazard? Any preferred direction for the middle split N to S or S to N. Will be starting in Slade going Clockwise. thank you. B.