Kenworth vs. BMW - Guardian angels

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by HellSickle, Sep 25, 2018.

1. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    We're debating if she should get a nice tattoo for this. 21 staples:

upload_2018-9-26_14-30-14.png
  2. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks, we'll watch for that. We also get her helmet & bike back tomorrow. That will tell us a lot about the impact.
  3. Lomax

Lomax Nanu-Nanu Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    WOW Jeff, I am so glad that Paula was not hurt any worse but feel bad for what she is going through. Tell her we all wish for a speedy and as painless a recovery as possible. Her Angel was a little bit slow that day but was still beside her.

Get well soon.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  4. Zekester

Zekester Liquid Hot Magma Core

Oddometer:
    It’s probably a good thing you didn’t try to pull over and let him pass you. It sounds like he’s an undereducated machismo psychotic and would have run you down flat because you dared to pass him. He was going to teach you to show some respect and do everything he could possibly do to ruin you that he felt he could get away with. It sounds like he should be charged with criminal recklessness. It will be interesting to see the police report and toxicology results. I’m guessing meth. High school GED. He probably has a rap sheet for assault.

This should be interesting. Hope your wife heals up okay.
    Palnut likes this.
  5. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    I'm glad you're both alive and made it out relatively ok.

Bankrupt that fucker to the sixth generation. Don't seek compensation or justice, seek punitive financial revenge. Good luck with your lawsuit.
  6. ObiJohn

ObiJohn Screaming Banshee Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yet another 'glad to see that your wife is progressing' reply... but I'll give you a pat on the back for restraint. I'm sure you were concerned about your wife, but I would have had a hard time not eviscerating the truck driver with my bare hands.
  7. Biddles

Biddles Suck it easy!

Oddometer:
    I never really know what to say in these threads, but I hope for a good recovery. I've seen a set of staples like that get tattooed into a zipper closing up the skin I always liked that.
    neanderthal likes this.
  8. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl ignore list Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have to post this again....

One lesson that was driven home was to avoid being in front of an aggressive driver. If you see one in your mirrors, pull over, take a few deep breaths, and pray that he doesn't take out a bus full of children.

Oh my god I'm so sorry you had to hear that and that your poor wife got hit by a semi....I mean it's so crazy her injuries were not worse and amazing at the same time!!! I wish you both an easy road to recovery and quick and swift action to the driver. I hope that check finds you very soon.....
    husqvarna and HellSickle like this.
  9. davidji

davidji bike curious

Oddometer:
    Wishing you a strong recovery Prairierider!

Thanks for sharing the story. It's given me food for thought.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  10. wb57

wb57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damn! Seriously glad it wasn't far worse!
    Do you mind if I pass this along to some RMD folks that likely won't see it here?
    (scrape from RMD)
  11. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    Sure, that would be fine.
  12. greasyboy

greasyboy cur·mudg·eon

Oddometer:
    I am a truck driver, a safe and courteous one, who also rides, assholes like that one should not be on the road
    and i am sorry this happened
    Hope she heals fast
    Tat on the scars sounds really cool
    nk14zp and HellSickle like this.
  13. peejayess

peejayess Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you get some try to post it up here, be interesting to see how the kids interpreted the event. And if there's a particularly good one perhaps it could form the basis of your wife's new arm tattoo :sick
  14. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    This will buff out, right?

upload_2018-9-28_6-51-48.png

This bag probably saved her life. The black marks on the back are rubber from the truck tire :yikes

We got the bike & gear back yesterday. The bike runs and is in surprisingly good shape. Given that the mirror and bars are not damaged, I think the front plastics were broken by her leg. My best guess is that the truck hit the back, ripped it off, and pushed Paula's leg into the front plastics. Given that she has only a single laceration on her shin, it tells me the big impacts to her thigh and arm were likely from blunt objects, like the pannier.

upload_2018-9-28_6-55-32.png
    Chaostrophy and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  15. IronButt70

IronButt70 You don't have to be crazy to do this but it helps

Oddometer:
    All I can say about the pannier is DAMN! If the truck hadn't hit that first there's no telling how much more seriously your wife may have been injured.
    A good body shop should be able to fix it. :D
    Again wishing your Mrs. a speedy and complete recovery.
    HellSickle likes this.
  16. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    I trust Paula recovers well.

Some comments not aimed at the op so much but simply me with my devils advocate hat on ...

Sorry but as presented is the truck driver really out of line?

Was there clear sight of the broken down bus to give the truck space enough to slow down? Was there suitable warning/indications there was a broken down vehicle ahead?

As described it just sounds like the truck was trying to make a mile. 99% of people round here have no idea what speed they are doing and fail miserably to be able to hold a constant speed.

I do not know what sort of a rider the op is but empty or full trucks don't accelerate that hard such that any bike much bigger than a scooter will struggle to overtake them given a dash of straight road. The fact the truck kept catching up on the straight sections makes me wonder what's at play.

True dat the the tipper drivers seem to be the cowboys in the truck game though.

But overwhelmingly this is why every bike rider needs to be hyper-vigilant sitting stopped at lights, intersections and even breakdowns. You should never take your eyes off your mirrors or your bike out of gear until you are certain the vehicle behind you has both seen you and is stopping in time. Always stop where you give yourself an escape route if needed.

If you ride expecting other people to ensure your safety I do wish you the best of luck... it's way too easy to be dead and right.
  17. greasyboy

greasyboy cur·mudg·eon

Oddometer:
    Hows she reacting to seeing the bike?

My wife did not do well when she saw the car that almost killed her
    ( really bad car crash years ago)
  18. bikeridermark

bikeridermark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hoping for a speedy recovery and a fair settlement, if there is such a thing.
    pigjockey likes this.
  19. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl ignore list Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bus wasn't broken down....it was letting kids off. He stated that there is a sign prior to the turn warning of the bus stop
  20. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    You get that when you read a gazillion things in between...

Either way, it does not change the need to be proactive in your own safety.
    ejm4 likes this.