Kenworth vs. BMW - Guardian angels

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by HellSickle, Sep 25, 2018.

1. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    Doing OK. Me, OTOH.... Had trouble getting to sleep last night. Seeing Truck tire rubber on the bike shows me just how close this was. 1 foot further and it would have been very different.
    BadKarma likes this.
  2. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    As someone already mentioned, it was not a broken bus and it was in a marked bus stop (sign 300 yards earlier). Red stop flashers were going and stop sign extended. It was 4:30pm on a school day. He was a local and should have expected that. Granted, the bus stop wasn't in the best location, but that does not absolve him of responsibility.

The truck was gaining because he was speeding. I told the police as much. I'll be curious to see the full accident analysis. Probably a couple hundred feet of skid marks followed by taking out 250' of guard rail will give them an idea of his speed. I would guess he was probably doing at least 5-10 mph over the limit. Yes, we were capable of much better acceleration, but were trying to stay close to the speed limit.

We signed up with Law Tigers today. We are debating whether we will go to the driver's court date in November. We'll be in touch with the DA next week to express interest in the case, especially if they plan on offering the guy some kind of plea deal. I would be happy to testify in court.
  3. Rackemcrackem

Rackemcrackem Unsafe at any speed

Oddometer:
    Best wishes for a full and complete recovery for your wife, physically and psychologically.
    It's important to expect recovery to take longer than one might think.

Thanks for your thoughts regarding aggressive drivers. Face Plant is a difficult part of the forum to visit but it's always a deep well of valuable insights.
    HellSickle likes this.
  4. lnewqban

lnewqban Ninjetter

Oddometer:
    I would guess it was going faster than that, considering that the truck was not loaded, as it gave you some acceleration fists when you both passed it earlier.
    It seems the typical case of distracted driver, suddenly looking forward, panicking and applying brakes when is too late.
    Best wishes for quick recovery to both of you.
  5. TripleDaddy

TripleDaddy Hoping my skills exceed my horsepower

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear you and your wife are (mostly) ok. Do you have any photos of the gear you were wearing? I always love to see how gear held up in a real world scenario.

Based on everything you presented, it sounds like the semi driver was an incompetent jerk who was going far too fast for conditions (no way he could stop within the limits of his visibility) and the result could have been deadly. I can't help but think that if you guys hadn't been there, that he might have reacted even later and clobbered that bus full of kids.

If you guys continue to ride, do you plan to upgrade anything to maximize your visibility to others? I'm not saying you were insufficient here, or that it would have changed anything (you were well within your rights and being safe), but often folks who have been rear ended think about stuff like this. I'm not judging and I dont have anything to gain or sell by you upgrading, just curious. I always want to learn from others who have been there, so hopefully I don't have to learn for myself the hard way.
  6. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    Great was fine. I could barely make out a spot on the shin where she had a laceration. Both pants and jacket had to be cut off.

I may add a flashing brake light, but I don't think it would have helped in this situation. Her bike is yellow, mine is white. We room very bright LEDs in the front.
    BadKarma likes this.
  7. greasyboy

greasyboy cur·mudg·eon

Oddometer:
    How do you both feel about continuing to ride?
    or to early to tell?
  8. trumpet

trumpet Group W Bench

Oddometer:
    @HellSickle , prayers for your wife's speedy and complete recovery. Please get counseling for you both, post accident ptsd is a bitch, from personal experience.

Be well, both of you.
  9. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damn, first I've seen of this.
    As bad as it is, could have been so much worse.
  10. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    Fwiw I lost a couple of friends who were sitting in a car stopped at roadworks, a truck following drove past a bunch of stopped cars then ran over the top of them and the stop go man. That was 35 years ago. Last year we had a truck do the same thing at roadworks, killed a bunch of people.

Also known a fist full of riders killed sitting innocently at intersections.

It happens.

You've done advanced rider or driver training right? Been taught the subtleties of covering your proverbial? Stuff like your positioning when turning left?

Not shooting at you hellsickle, more so just discussing the take outs from this. Big one is be real careful where you relax. You guys seem to have a lot of rear enders, keep catching people saying vehicles have been written off because...

Even more reason to use your mirrors at least as much as looking forward and to proactively plan and position yourself to have viable escape routes.

Take care.
  11. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hope the police did appropriate blood tests.

Hoping for good outcome.

Rod
  12. flyinlow79

flyinlow79 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thoughts and prayers for your wife as she recovers. This type of thing really puts stuff in perspective.
  13. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks. We will be seeing a trauma counselor. For what they are getting paid, we're going to be feeding all the paper work to Law Tigers and let them handle all of the insurance companies.

Ever since the accident, she has said she will still be riding again. I'm not quitting after 50 years on bikes. We'll be watching for PTSD signs when we do start back.

We've been talking about it a fair amount and it gets easier every time. We started into some really morbid humor the other night and neither of us could stop laughing. That's either a good sign, or a very, very bad sign :rofl

For those don't know, we met thru ADVrider. Paula had just started riding that year, 10 years ago. She is one sturdy girl.

Just prior to the accident we were talking as we came down from Ute Pass. We took some dance lessons last winter, but haven't done much with it since. While winding up some beautiful twisties to the Henderson Mine, Paula commented about "our dance". She explained that it's the rhythm we fall into when riding together.
    :raabia
  14. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks, all good tips. Whether I'm riding alone or in a group, I think I spend close to 1/4 of my time checking my mirrors. I'm a bit OCD about knowing what's around me 360. I checked mirrors out of reflex when I saw the truck coming, which is why I reacted almost reflexively and managed to get out of the way. Part of me feels guilty for not thinking of it in time to warn Paula. We were both so focused on stopping in time that the truck slipped our mind. When Paula heard the truck horn she didn't bother taking the time to check her mirrors, she just started evasive maneuvers.
  15. PrairieRider

PrairieRider Gearing down for Hell

Oddometer:
    Thanks to everyone for the well-wishes. I'm better everyday. I spend a lot of time thanking my lucky stars and wondering if I should start believing in guardian angels. On more than a few occasions in discussing life expectancy, I've said that barring getting hit by a Mack truck, I expect to live into my 90s if my parents and grandparents are any indication. Now that I've been hit by a Kenworth, I'm seriously wondering if the universe is trying to tell me something about what I should concentrate on in my remaining years given that there may be 40 or so more of them. I say this somewhat tongue in cheek, but only kinda.

As far as checking mirrors, I was distracted by stopping for the school bus. I'm normally very good about checking them, in fact sometimes to a fault, and had I not been looking for children running out, I probably would have looked. Given that the semi was doing 65 mph and we were at 0, it all happened quickly. I'm thinking the semi was ~200 yards behind us the last I looked at him. If this were correct, he would have been on us in a little over 6s; however, he was likely much closer by the time we stopped since some of that distance between us would have lessened while we were in the process of stopping. Jeff thinks he was on us in 3s. I'm pretty sure I panicked once I heard the horn. From the time I heard the horn to the time I was hit was probably 1s. Sight is faster than sound. If I had seen him in my mirrors, I would probably have had time to move out of the way.

As it is, I remember hearing the horn, trying to make an evasive maneuver, and then hearing and feeling the impact. Next I was laying on the ground wailing, trying to stop hyperventilating, and trying to inventory what hurt. I still feel like my heartbeat speeds up every time I think or talk about this event. It hasn't crossed my mind that I won't ride again, but since I was unable to get right back on the horse, I expect that there will be some trepidations to work through. We hope by speaking with a trauma professional that we'll be able to ameliorate the potential anxiety.
    John2453, Mudstuck, shiryas and 7 others like this.
  16. Advntr

Advntr Answering the call of the wild

Oddometer:
    Western NY or out riding & passing you somewhere
    This situation is one of the reason my riding days are getting shorter
    The mentally ill mentality of this driver is now more main stream than it has ever been. These assholes have sociopathic tendencies combined with seething deep anger. They are very self-entitled morans that do whatever they can to make YOUR immediate world dangerous. I have observed and experienced this behavior over the years. Sometimes you get to deliver swift justice to these assholes but other times we have this terrible situation. I have delivered swift justice a time or two but it's never enough. In one swift justice situation of angry driver vs m/c the guy I gave the broken nose should be very grateful the cops showed up when they did.

When you go to pass and the person being passed makes it difficult by speeding up on you that is your first clue.
  17. ozmoses

ozmoses . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are bus stops in 65mph zones common??
  18. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    Round here very.

In this state our school buses have a flashing light, when it's flashing you are meant to do 40kmh passing the bus, we've had a few children run over when they've run round the front of the bus to cross the road sort of stuff.

What we don't have is a requirement or need to come to a dead stop, I admit I'm a little confused what the go is where this happened.

Our buses usually stop where it's safe to do so, where it's prudent and doesn't risk the bus passengers or other road users.
  19. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    Ummm?

I'm surprised you still allow you to have a license or indeed freedom let alone actually ride.

What am I missing?
    ejm4 likes this.
  20. ozmoses

ozmoses . Supporter

Oddometer:
    You are in Australia;OP was riding in CO.

Here,in the USA, all traffic-both directions, must stop for a stopped school bus.

A school bus must also stop at all railroad crossings.

IMO, a bus stop in a 65mph zone seems imprudent,at best, without provision for the bus to be out of the lane(s) of travel- especially in a canyon area.

Here's my bitch about school bus stops- when I rode the bus, each small town had one,ONE,stop- primarily, it was the post office or general store (small towns,rural).

Ours,due to traffic flow- happened to be at a restaurant/bar parking lot.
    Other stops were at the terminus of the route, where the bus would turn around.

Any kid living within 1 mile of a stop needed to BE THERE.
    First grade through high school.
    Walk,run,crawl,catch a ride, whatever. Just be at a bus stop,any one, before the bus arrived.
    Otherwise, you were gonna have a bad time.
    Kids within 1 mile of the school walked.
    Yes,horror of horrors, walked- in the rain, in the snow, in the heat; there was no bus option.

Fortunately, it was only uphill one way. :deal

Now, I try not to be on the road between 2:30 and 4:00 due to school bus traffic- every single driveway, even a couple hundred yards apart, is a stop.

I mean, is this a door to door limousine service or a public school bus route??

(and no, there are decidedly not 1000% more child molesters than when I/we were young, that's fakenews)

Locally, school budget transportation costs are an issue for many districts.
    Gee, I wonder why when the duration of an average run has increased by more than 100%- some kids are now on a bus for longer than one hour,each way, to travel less than 20 minutes from home.

What happened to the single,central, group bus stop??

<rant off>
    B-ManFX4, shinyribs, rokon140 and 3 others like this.