Kenworth vs. BMW - Guardian angels

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by HellSickle, Sep 25, 2018.

1. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    I feel your pain.

I think I may sorta know what they are doing. At least here.

Developments with sidewalks all have classic bus stops, with herds of kids. This includes bus stops at the edge of those developments, where they abut a more major road.

But on those roads that have no sidewalks, no shoulders, and especially busy/fast roads; those the bus stops at the driveway. Each and every one. Even if they are side by side.
  2. Sullybiker

Sullybiker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a lot of respect for CDL drivers. They'll usually look out for you.

There's an exception that proves the rule and this idiot is an example. I hope your wife recovers soon and I'm sure those kids would love to see her when she's ready.
    Unca Fud, BadKarma and HellSickle like this.
  3. Wonger20

Wonger20 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    I had a nice Uber ride yesterday. The driver previously drove a school bus. He described the gory videos they were required to watch. It caused several people to drop out of the training. I wonder if CDL driver are required to go thru this?
  5. BadKarma

BadKarma Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not in Colorado... Many CDL drivers are professional in action, some, like this person, have personal issues they bring to the job. I'm so sorry this happened to @PrairieRider and you... BTW, such videos wouldn't make much of a difference IMO. Training helps but what are you going to do when the trainee is one of the owners of the company?
  6. ejm4

ejm4 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear your wife is on the road to recovery.

I notice some the aggressive adjectives the truck driver is being called, a little harsh in my book. I highly doubt the driver intended to put his life, possible lively hood on the line. If I read the OP's original post correctly, the bus stop is in a 65mph zone, the OP had to jam on their brakes, and the truck attempted to stop in a hurry. Just seems like a bad situation all around.
    Mouse likes this.
  7. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    We'll let the Justice system sort that out. His court date for arraignment is November 13. We will be contacting the district attorney as an interested party if they are thinking about offering him a plea deal.

Any time you rear end someone it usually means that you were traveling at an unsafe for the conditions.
  8. Wonger20

Wonger20 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    These days, it's more likely distracted than simply too fast. Good luck with both the recovery for each of you and the settlement.
    lnewqban likes this.
  9. IronButt70

IronButt70 You don't have to be crazy to do this but it helps

Oddometer:
    IMHO OTR truck drivers are more distracted now than ever. Cell phones and such only need to provide that distraction for an instant for the results to be catastrophic. I was nearly run off the road by an 18 wheeler earlier this year because he obviously wasn’t paying attention when he started to change lanes with me along side the rear wheels of his tractor. I could clearly see his face in his rear view mirror before so whatever he was doing he didn’t check it prior to nearly hitting me at 75 MPH.
    lnewqban likes this.
  10. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    FTFY.
    Jugghead likes this.
  11. neanderthal

Oddometer:
    I guess you didn't see the part where he accelerated to make it more difficult for the motorcycles to pass.
  12. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    It seems like there is fewer and fewer truck drivers and more drivers of trucks. Depending on the state he might not have or need a CDL if it falls under agriculture.
  13. ejm4

Oddometer:
    I did read the part you referenced. The OP motocycle accelerates 100 times faster than a semi truck. While the OP may have heard the engine accelerate, it by no mean jumped from say 50mph to 60mph in the amount of time the OP passed the semi.

The OP also doesn't state how fast he and his wife were traveling when they approached the semi, the speed they were traveling after they approached the semi. The OP did elude they had to brake in a quick manner also.

But my main point other posters have described the drive as a horrible person.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Mouse likes this.
  14. Sullybiker

Sullybiker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There's always one.

IF you're a professional driver and your stopping distance is larger than your view of the road ahead, I'm pretty comfortable calling you a terrible person.

Motorbike's speed is entirely academic. They did not initiate the accident, or cause any part of it.
  15. ejm4

Oddometer:
    You're right, let's burn him at the cross. Probably was even premeditated too...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Ks600 and Mouse like this.
  16. neanderthal

Oddometer:

Well, in that case then, your reading comprehension is terrible questionable because he stated in the same post

so they were right behind the truck. A
    Long passing zone. B
    Accelerating hard to make it harder to pass. C

This coupled with your "trucks don't accelerate as quickly as bikes" point, makes the exact point that he was being a F:jerkon arsehole.

But, yeah, lets tone police the OP who's wife was very nearly killed by the, um..., would say "not so considerate" big rig driver?
    GSingWI likes this.
  17. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    Ffs. Really?

Are you guys truck drivers? These ain't bloody race cars.

To this outsider this court case is going to get real messy.

Devils advocate time yet again.

You admit you had to brake hard to stop in time for the bus.
    You also surely know by now that a truck does not and cannot slow down as quickly as you.
    If you are the vigilant rider that you portray and you had to make this sudden stop then painting the truck driver as a villain is weak, you do not allow for the fact he is in a truck and not a bike or a cage.
    If the truck driver was distracted, not paying attention etc then how is it he also had the fortitude to sound his horn as warning. He assessed the situation and was reacting to it whilst also trying to protect other road users.
    If you are such a wonderful rider then how did you lose situational awareness of having a truck behind you and a rapid stop in front of you.
    The bus sounds contributory here, it doesn't sound like it was stopped in a safe place thus endangering the passengers and other road users.
    If I was the one of the parents of children on that bus I would be asking serious questions about why the safety of my children is being compromised.

Just a thought, if this truck driver is a local then he should also be conversant with school times, bus routes, drop off points. Has he also been caught out for some reason? Has the bus stopped somewhere it normally doesn't?

Next time you overtake a truck please don't dawdle or do the usual overtake then slow down sort of routine that most people do around trucks... understand we need space to maintain momentum, we cannot just twist the right hand and disappear into the distance. Or stop on a dime.

There will only ever be one advantaged survivor in a truck motorcycle collision and I'll give you a heads up it won't be the bike...

I swear every road user needs to go spend a day in a big truck and understand how much risk most road users are intentionally putting themselves in when mixing around trucks.
    Cuttlefish, nk14zp and ejm4 like this.
  18. Sullybiker

Sullybiker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't wish to seem rude, but take the motorbikes out of the equation and the accident will have still happened. The truck did not have enough room to stop.

Surely as a CDL you realise this?
    Mouse and Chaostrophy like this.
  19. IronButt70

IronButt70 You don't have to be crazy to do this but it helps

Oddometer:
    It occurs to me that since this was a local driver he maybe should have paid more attention to the time of day and that he was on a road that had frequent bus stops. Anticipation of potentially dangerous situations is your friend.
  20. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    This.

It's not going to be a messy court case. He's been charged with failure to stop for a school bus and careless driving resulting in injury. We're in touch with the DA's office.

FYI, he was driving an empty truck with an aluminum bed, so you would expect that his acceleration was going to be better than most trucks. In any event, anything that happened miles before the school bus is completely irrelevant. He was driving too fast to stop in time at a marked bus stop and nearly killed someone.

We are grateful there weren't other cars stopped in front of us. They would have blocked an escape path and would have likely been nailed by the truck.

What if the school bus was stopped on that side of the road and he slammed into a bus full of children?

You can argue that the bus stop was not in the best location, but that's an entirely different issue. Trying to pursue a liability case against the government would be a losing proposition.