Kenworth vs. BMW - Guardian angels

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by HellSickle, Sep 25, 2018.

1. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    Meeting with trauma counselor on Monday.

Short story on how we met the counselor. I divorced from BSC 10 years ago. Right after the divorce the ex decided we needed "family" counseling. She found Joel. On the second visit she learned that Joel rode dirt bikes. He also suggested that she could benefit from medication. She never went back.

It turns out Joel is also an ordained minister. He's the guy that married Paula and myself 8 years ago. He also does a lot of youth work involving trauma and runs the local NYPUM program. He's also runs an EMT service for all the local hare scrambles, and ran the service for MX de Nations in Denver several years ago. Life has a curious way of providing the help you need.
  2. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl ignore list Supporter

Oddometer:
    So let me get this straight....your wife gets hit by a semi and a few weeks later is driving a car.....:dirtdog My bike was run backed over in a parking lot by a semi and didn't go down the street for another 6 months! So she's super powered @PrairieRider !!!! God that is just straight up bad ass....
  3. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    She is pretty damn sturdy. On top of it all, we think her bike is still rideable. Hard bags, bag mounts, and some body plastic are the main damage. We think the huge Touratech bag on the right side absorbed a lot of the energy and helped to push the bike away from the truck.
  4. PrairieRider

PrairieRider Gearing down for Hell

Oddometer:
    I grew up with four older brothers, worked in a horse barn, was a back country ranger, and a field biologist before I started riding. At one point, I had the nickname Timex...
    wee-twin, Lomax, WNDRLST and 4 others like this.
  5. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yea, but then you took it all apart. Then, eventually put it back together. :D
  6. joso

joso Motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    1st of all: all the best wishes @PrairieRider for a quick and full recovery! As you said, your personal history tought you to be tough - that'll help.

Stay careful about the oncoming lawsuit; as soon as the lawyers of the insurance companies join in things might get weird. Take care to get the best lawyer's you can get (AMHIK).

@all those commenting what happened: that's just the attitude of those lawyers: fileting a scene / an accident for hours 'n days which happened within seconds and judging about decisions and their consequences other people made just within those seconds (IF Paula would have..., IF the truck driver would have...) doesn't lead to anything. Things happened the way they did - those lawyers will be hard enough to listen to.

I went through 2 years of recovery myself, incl. PTSD treatment, acc. lawsuits (though german law is a bit different) an all of that BS - the best news within those posts here is the will to regain the joy of riding and to get back onto the bikes. Do that a.s.a.p.! After my 5th surgery I rode to the hospital for the removal of the stitches - doc called me totally insane, but riding again (though it did hurt a bit) was the best PTSD treatment for me.

Keep going strong and thanks for sharing your experiences.
    XTremeRide, zundappuk, nk14zp and 5 others like this.
  7. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl ignore list Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well that makes sense......so happy to hear you continue to move forward!! Best wishes for a complete, and fast recovery!!!

I did.....but metal is wayyyy easier to fix than bone!!!
  8. MiniBike

MiniBike Casual Observer

Oddometer:
    I would not have seen this if not for the new ADV format. Prayers for you both and best wishes for a full and speedy recovery - both physical and psychological.
    PrairieRider and HellSickle like this.
  9. Advntr

Advntr Answering the call of the wild

Oddometer:
    Western NY or out riding & passing you somewhere
    I have news for the so called riders on here second guessing the inmates that got crashed. Wake up! The times have changed in our world. People have deep seated anger that they cannot resolve and they take it out on the rest of the world. Mentally ill people with a touch of sociopath. There is very deep seated anger against motorcycles caused by Squids, Pirates , the inner city atv/motorcycle problem and JoMomma.:-) Add the very self-entitled mentality to the mix and here we have not an accident but a situation completely caused by the mentally-ill, angry truck driver. JAIL for him.

I have ridden over 10,000 miles of the 2 lane of the good ole usa since May 13th, 2018 and i am about ready to give it up because of this shit. I have plenty of incidents i could recount just in the those 10,000 miles.

It's time to get a grip on reality and keep that false reality to yourselves.
  10. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    Agreed. At the risk of getting booted to the basement, I won't dive into the obvious enabling of selfish, hateful and divisive behavior across the country over the past few years. I don't know what was going thru the drivers mind, but resentment of cordura clad urban city dwelling motorcyclists by a rural farm truck driver is not outside the realm of possibility.

We are still planning on attending the truck driver's arraignment on November 13.

We just learned that his insurance company is going to be hiring an accident investigator. They will be flown in from out of state to take pictures of the bike. Our attorney or his paralegal will be present when they come to our house. I'll make sure to point out the truck tire marks on the saddle bag that got crushed.
    hardwaregrrl, Chaostrophy and ozmoses like this.
  11. ozmoses

ozmoses . Supporter

Oddometer:

Absolutely be there. :thumb

(though,personally, I do not know how,or if, I could contain myself)
    hardwaregrrl and Chaostrophy like this.
  12. nwbobber

nwbobber Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I can't understand why someone who was not there would defend a truck driver that they know nothing about, given that all they know about the incident is what was stated here. There are good and bad drivers behind the wheel of every kind of vehicle on the road. It doesn't take a genius, or a saint, to get a CDL. You just have to pass a test, to show you understand the law and can operate the vehicle safely in the conditions of the test. After that, well, anyone who drives on the interstate has seen truck drivers that a prudent driver will give a bit of space to, in order to increase their own margin of safety. This is not to mention the use of... ahem... "enhancements" that truckers have a reputation for using that tend to increase aggressive behavior. The reason I will be interested in the drug report. I have ridden in the passenger seat of a semi operated by an "enhanced" driver, and the driving I witnessed was frightening to say the least.
    This just seems like tribalism. I hope Prairierider is healing well, and justice is served, in the end.
  13. roadrage

roadrage Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Heal quickly PrairieRider, I'm glad you and Hellsickle lived to ride another day!
    Advntr and PrairieRider like this.
  14. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    We've been told that we probably won't get to see all of the evidence for a while. I'm very curious to see the witness statements.

They moved his arraignment up to this coming Monday, October 15. I'm not sure there's any value in attending. We've been in touch with the prosecutor. They told me the odds of a plea deal at the arraignment are low. They were still waiting on all of the evidence. The only form the prosecutor wanted from us was one where we claim monetary damages. Since this won't be fully known until Paula is nearly healed, we're punting this statement to our attorney. I'm guessing restitution will be something that is pursued with his insurance company. I don't think we would go after the guy directly unless he was un- or under-insured.

The prosecutor gave me the name of the truck driver's attorney. When I googled I learned that his specialty is DUI/DWI. Hmmmmm.... I'm very curious if a blood test is going to be part of the evidence.
    Advntr and Chaostrophy like this.
  15. Zekester

Zekester Liquid Hot Magma Core

Oddometer:
    Attend. It can’t hurt. At the very least you will get to observe his demeanor.
    Chaostrophy likes this.
  16. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    It's a three hour drive to get there. I would like to attend. I was hoping for the November date so Paula's wounds would be healed enough to spend some time soaking in the hot springs (Hot Sulphur Springs, Colorado). It's going to be a while until the hole in her shin is fully healed. Driving over Berthoud Pass if the weather is bad would nix the trip. Court dates are often canceled at the last minute.
    Chaostrophy likes this.
  17. nwbobber

nwbobber Adventurer

Oddometer:
    CSI likes this.
  18. Zekester

Zekester Liquid Hot Magma Core

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that’s a haul. Do you have a friend who lives close by the courthouse who can attend and observe for you? I assume your lawyer is not going.
    Chaostrophy likes this.
  19. PrairieRider

PrairieRider Gearing down for Hell

Oddometer:
    Correct. The attorney is dealing strictly with medical and pain & suffering and possibly property if any problems arise. Oddly enough, at least in CO, if this were somehow to go to court, the attorney may not submit law enforcement evidence, for instance citations and/or convictions. We're told the thinking behind it is that such evidence would influence a jury.

The DA's office will let us know how the case proceeds and keep us abreast of future court dates. If nothing else, we'll submit a letter stating our opinion.
  20. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    We got the helicopter bill this week. $51k. We're definitely going to be hitting our out of pocket maximum this year. Since the attorney is going to be getting 10's of $k for their work, I'm happy to let them deal with all of the insurance companies and service providers.
    Chaostrophy and trumpet like this.