Kenworth vs. BMW - Guardian angels

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by HellSickle, Sep 25, 2018.

1. shinyribs

shinyribs Thumpers for life

Oddometer:
    Exactly. Everyone wants to be a victim these days. Seems we just love to point fingers and call blame.

I seriously doubt the truck driver is a piece of trash and all these people calling for his head on a stake are just childish. Sounds like the City/County that decided it was smart to park a schoolbus full of kids around a blind corner on a 65mph road are to blame.

Like you said, if a non-speeding motorcyclist had to pounce on the brakes in order to barely stop in time, then the visibility of that bus stop is completely unrealistic. What's the stopping distance of a modern premium BMW motorcycle vs a semi? Yeah. Blame the people who created the unsafe condition, not the victims who were injured by it.

OP, I'm not busting your balls. Best wishes for your wife's recovery.
    Minnesota, ejm4, Mouse and 1 other person like this.
  2. shinyribs

shinyribs Thumpers for life

Oddometer:
    It definitely sounds like the bus stop was a very unsafe place. And yes, contesting the local govt will always be a losing situation.

So the truck driver will likely get railroaded and ruined over this....and the unsafe bus stop will be left as-is to risk the safety of future travelers on this road.

Seems fair, eh? Yay fer justice.
    Cuttlefish likes this.
  3. Olde Phart

Olde Phart Olde Phart

Oddometer:
    Ouch ... ours was $53,704.56 just for the airtime and with the rest of medical tossed in the total billed was $416,335.81. Simply unbelievable ...

In the world of out-of-network air ambulance services, "Balance Billing" are the magic words ... you don't know financial predation until these outfits come after you for what insurance doesn't pay.

Good ridin' to ya!
    Chaostrophy likes this.
  4. Cuttlefish

Cuttlefish Riding to disappear.

Oddometer:
    The approaching court case is to find fault so sounds like the place to aim the spotlight on the government's choice of a bus stop location since it was the first domino.
    shinyribs likes this.
  5. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    Research the limited liability of government in Colorado. Not a game you can win.
    KneeDrachen and Chaostrophy like this.
  6. Cuttlefish

Oddometer:
    That's a shame. Not my country so I will keep well away from that can of worms.
    I've been on the receiving end of a speeding truck from the opposite direction while on a bike. A few inches separated me from instant obliteration.
    I wish your wife a speedy recovery and that both of you are also to be able to continue to enjoy riding.
    :beer
    HellSickle likes this.
  7. Chaostrophy

Chaostrophy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is your obligation to be able to stop before hitting any stationary object in the road, barring exceptional circumstances. Period. They managed it, so, they were not going too fast for conditions. The truck didn't, so, he either wasn't paying enough attention to what he was doing, or he was driving too fast for conditions. He's at fault. Perhaps the bus stop should have be relocated, but if the bus was broken down where the motorcycle was, would it have been ok to hit it? There is the broader issue of accident prevention, and there is fault. Do you know where those kids went after the bus? Perhaps they went straight up their driveway home, and moving the stop would mean walking down a narrow shoulder, that's not safer!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    CSI likes this.
  8. Cuttlefish

Oddometer:
    Sorry but I'm not in the slightest bit interested in arguing with you.
    wee-twin, pinocono, Fr8dog61 and 2 others like this.
  9. PrairieRider

PrairieRider Gearing down for Hell

Oddometer:
    Emergency Services in Granby told me that some years ago, the bus stop was on the eastbound side. This might have made the bus more visible to eastbound traffic; however, the kids all head to the north when leaving the bus, so they would have had to cross hwy 40. :yikes The only thing to the south is the Colorado River. There's a county road off the north side of hwy 40 where the bus stops, but for whatever reason, the bus doesn't pull on to it, perhaps because it's difficult to turn around and backing on to hwy 40 would be risky. I think you are absolutely correct that the only other option would be for the kids to walk along a narrow shoulder. Maybe a flashing caution sign would attract more attention, especially one that would be automatically activated by a sensor or one that could be activated by the bus driver.
    Chaostrophy likes this.
  10. pjgoeman

pjgoeman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't know the details regarding this specific bus stop but in a rural setting bus stops are generally at the student's driveway or cross street. It would be difficult to relocate them to a spot with improved visibility because then the students would have to walk alongside the road back to the location that was deemed unsafe in the first place to get home. This is also why there are road signs in rural areas warning of school bus stops so drivers can be more aware of this potential hazard.
    Chaostrophy likes this.
  11. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl ignore list Supporter

Oddometer:
    So did anyone you know make it to court today?
  12. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    Nobody attended.

When I talked to them last week they were still waiting on some evidence. I just checked the website and it appears they moved the arraignment to December 3. A good thing we didn't waste 6 hours driving today, not to mention having to leave home at an ungodly hour.

The wheels turn slowly....
    hardwaregrrl and Chaostrophy like this.
  13. CutterBill

CutterBill I hate motorcycles

Oddometer:
    Just my two cents... as others have mentioned, glad you are still with us PrairieRider. Heal quickly.

Now as for "enhancing" that scar with a tattoo, a good plastic surgeon can rework that incision and make it purt-near invisible. (Don't ask me how I know.) Wouldn't hurt to go see one now; maybe he will suggest surgery now, maybe later after some healing has taken place.
    Bill
  14. Advntr

Advntr Answering the call of the wild

Oddometer:
    Western NY or out riding & passing you somewhere
    You folks defending the truck driver need to get your head out of your behind.
    shuswap1, Mudstuck, pinocono and 3 others like this.
  15. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    But.... I dig scars. :raabia
  16. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    :baldy

How many dashcams involved?
  17. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    Damn Damn Damn Damn!

Whew, my heart was in my throat when I scanned the New Posts and saw this thread title with your avatar......SO relieved you and PrairieRider still have each other. I too am amazed @PrairieRider is driving, Timex's got nothin' on you, girl!

Best wishes to you both...hang in there.
  18. Advntr

Advntr Answering the call of the wild

Oddometer:
    Western NY or out riding & passing you somewhere
    We don't need no stinking dashcam
    Go away
    Mouse likes this.
  19. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks man. She got into the gym for the first time this past weekend and did 20 minutes on the recumbent exercise bike.

Today marks 1 month since her surgery for the plate & screws. We have follow up xrays with the ortho doc next Monday. Looking forward to seeing how well the bones are knitting.

The hole in her shin is going to take a while to completely close. The doctor mostly closed skin over the 1" diameter hole where bone was exposed.
  20. PrairieRider

PrairieRider Gearing down for Hell

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I'm getting around incredibly well. I'm a lucky lucky person.

As far as the scar goes, it's looking really good. As long as I keep it covered which isn't hard in the cooler weather, I think it's practically going to disappear.

[​IMG]
    CVAN, Mouse and WVhillbilly like this.